Marshall Vintage Modern - good? - Worth 800?

Is the VM the shiznit?

• The VM is as good as advertised!

Votes: 26 74.3%
  • It's just another hyped wanna be...

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters
Smebody wants to sell one with about 5 hours of time on it. It is too loud and too much metal tone. :confused:

Anyway. I have not played one and know the hair metal nation is represented well here.

Is the VM solid for old rock like UFO thru, well, more modern stuff like AIC? The YT vids vary wildly. I listened to me that sounded like canned turds and another sounded good. Close to useless. Not sure I have ever heard a VM clip on Rig Talk. That may be a statement right there.

Seems like a decent deal, maybe...

Who has one?

I love the Vintage Modern...I was looking for something a little more flexible (channel switching and that kind of deal), or I would've bought it right there. I loved the tone out of it.

has it's own thing going also has its quirks (volume difference between low and high modes depending on how you set the gain) , for what it does tho it's a cool amp, think it's probably better with greenback style speakers too

yngzaklynch (who's also on rig-talk) made some cool demos on his channel

university81":2px672cq said:
has it's own thing going also has its quirks (volume difference between low and high modes depending on how you set the gain) , for what it does tho it's a cool amp, think it's probably better with greenback style speakers too

I have a DSL. It is Pretty good but suffers from that sort of thing. The push buttons need to be assigned to a pedal.

Now that vid catches some great metal tones :rock: One of the better ones out there.

GuitarGoat":2px672cq said:
I love the Vintage Modern...I was looking for something a little more flexible (channel switching and that kind of deal), or I would've bought it right there. I loved the tone out of it.

I am looking for that flexibility too. Seems like they almost got there. Probably why they, like the DSL are good, but cheap used.

Thx.

One of my all time favortie Marshalls. The KT66 tubes give it it's own kind of crunch. The loop can be picky. Although it's a PPIMV and does sound pretty good at bedroom volumes it really shines with the volume above 11:00. I usually boost mine with a BDD. Do a search for my username on YT for more vids
Jim

I had one for a few months. Ended up moving on since it wasn't as versatile as I would like, but you can get some great tones out of it. Really needs to be cranked loud to get the most out of it, I usually ended up with the MV up half way.

firegate":cwdwrcdx said:
I had one for a few months. Ended up moving on since it wasn't as versatile as I would like, but you can get some great tones out of it. Really needs to be cranked loud to get the most out of it, I usually ended up with the MV up half way.

World class is a good thing.

I've always dug it. I've also had several chances to pull the trigger but I can never justify it for some reason. As Jim said above, the 66's really give a unique blend to the mix when distorted. They can also take most guitars very well (Strats, Pauls, Mockingbirds etc.)

I had a ton of marshalls.....
the VM....my least favorite.
Great for Rock tones....but modern? No way.
just my opinion. :yes:

paul Gilbert recorded all of "Fuzz Universe" with a VM combo. Some cool tones on that record for sure...i think to get it deep into heavy-ville you will need to push it with a pedal

I have the VM 2466 100 watt head with 425a cab. Love it. I push mine slightly with a Creation Audio Labs Mk 4.23 or an EP booster.

Yeah, it's not meant to be a 'modern sounding' amp. It's designed to be a classic style amp with some modern features.

university81":ws8lzrkf said:

I take it that this is a boosted clip?? I don't remember them having this much gain on tap.

If I'm not mistaken, yngzaklynch did the 'more-mod' on it which the amp's designer Steve D posted instructions for on the VM forum. I think it's something fairly simple like switching out 2 caps.

I dig the VM.

It's not particularly loud for the wattage rating, at all; for $800, I'd be tempted. :thumbsup:

sounds like my kind of sound ! alsp plank wanker nice avatar :) i have my old trusty 1997 white slo 100 ltd marshall 100 watt monster head and full stack at the ready ! shakes the world imho and thats at on like 2 , see ya , ALZ

Yes! hell yes!

IF! you want a single channel hotrodded JTM style amp. If you don't, move along. it is NOT an 800, or a Plexi... It has a footswitch to change channel Modes, not channels.

if you've played a JTM and liked the slightly squishy, middy, somtimes fizzy, warmth and touch articulation they give, the KT66's are a BIG part of this sound... with way more gain on tap, and a PPIMV voicing...you'll love the VM.
With a clean boost out front, and dialing the gain back to get more of that power tube goodness, this amp is GREAT. Fantastic note articulation, volume knob controllable, and a huge 60's vibe that puts a smile on your face. Best Marshall I've played with single coil guitars. (Except for my AKA)

I do still love em, only sold mine to get the Hot Rod 50+. (That was harder to find)

I have a dream build I'm going to start batting around with Jerry, I'ma basically have him make me a VM style head with footswtichable gain, and some other goodies...

joepete77":3glgmor2 said:
university81":3glgmor2 said:

I take it that this is a boosted clip?? I don't remember them having this much gain on tap.

yep the description says barber direct drive into the front of the amp

Back