May be moving to EVH 6L6 from EL34 S tomorrow

romanianreaper

Going to try out an EVH 5150-III 50 watt tomorrow (again) but with an open mind now that I understand thr differences. My goal is to have a cleaner Green Channel, more usable Blue Channel across the whole dial, and super gains Red Channel. If I can accomplish this as compared to my EL34 S, I think I'll be happy.

6l6 stealth 100 is my fav . I keep it with my wizards and Diezel . It’s killer to have . Try that . Channel 3 is killer riffing not just solos .

Going to try out an EVH 5150-III 50 watt tomorrow (again) but with an open mind now that I understand thr differences. My goal is to have a cleaner Green Channel, more usable Blue Channel across the whole dial, and super gains Red Channel. If I can accomplish this as compared to my EL34 S, I think I'll be happy.
I believe you will find everything you're looking for. The green channel is so impressive for an amp like that too. I still can't believe what a great amp the 6L6 50S is!

Yeah,
I believe you will find everything you're looking for. The green channel is so impressive for an amp like that too. I still can't believe what a great amp the 6L6 50S is!
Yeah I hope I don't miss having that "S" gain. LOL. I really don't think I will though because the red channel has gobs and the blue with the gain up, rocks. Plus, I love using pedals too

Think my all time favorite amp was the Evh 5153 EL34 100 watt stealth head. I am playing thru a archon now. Which is fantastic. But that evh was magic thru my rig. Only sold to check out something new (mistake) but knowing there will always be more available

EVH 6L6 blue channel is money to me. Always played on that channel. I like the bloom of the green channel too.
Yes, I was really digging it today. Great with gain low, mid way, cranked, etc and like we said, boosts roll great with this thing. I definitely feel like I got thr right amp for me. Any EVH would fit well for my style but I really like the 6L6 and am shocked by that because I love EL34s

Yes, I was really digging it today. Great with gain low, mid way, cranked, etc and like we said, boosts roll great with this thing. I definitely feel like I got thr right amp for me. Any EVH would fit well for my style but I really like the 6L6 and am shocked by that because I love EL34s
Although I am without amp right now, I’ve owned quite a bit of both 6L6 and EL34 amps. Splawns were my last EL34 amp. No preference for me. Whichever works best for the tone I’m wanting. played a KT88 promod once. Guy brought it over to play against my QR. Pro Mod was way more tight. Wasn’t for me, but sounded huge.

Although I am without amp right now, I’ve owned quite a bit of both 6L6 and EL34 amps. Splawns were my last EL34 amp. No preference for me. Whichever works best for the tone I’m wanting. played a KT88 promod once. Guy brought it over to play against my QR. Pro Mod was way more tight. Wasn’t for me, but sounded huge.
How are you without an amp dude? Sacrilege!! Lol. Seriously though, Bogner pedal for recordings and I get a killer tone!

Think my all time favorite amp was the Evh 5153 EL34 100 watt stealth head. I am playing thru a archon now. Which is fantastic. But that evh was magic thru my rig. Only sold to check out something new (mistake) but knowing there will always be more available
How was the clean channel on that?

The clean was crystal chimey
You had to dial it in funny I remeber. It’s been a few years. Think the master was maxed and volume controlled by the channel or other way around. But it was crystal clear

That will be my last amp. Have not bought anything in years. The archon is fantastic. But that evh just ruled. I could live on that blue channel. Don’t touch a dial. If you want Aerosmith keep gain low. Round 1-3.
If you want Metallica just turn up the gain. Nothing else. Maybe 5-7
Anything heavier? Turn the gain to noon.
Never flubby.

The trick with the EVH 5150III 6L6 is to stick with it and if you want another tone then get another amp. I have seen and heard the 6L6 do things years after owning one that I didn't think it could do.

The trick with the EVH 5150III 6L6 is to stick with it and if you want another tone then get another amp. I have seen and heard the 6L6 do things years after owning one that I didn't think it could do.
Yeah see I was getting tons of tones in no time. Slight adjustments made a huge difference I've noticed. I love all types of amps, pedals, etc but don't jump around like I used to. I have tried so many things that it felt like an endless cycle.

This purchase was great because it improved nearly everything:
- More versatile (my opinion of course)
- Less gain (which I used to consider a sin)
- Lighter rig (most important for me at my age and after surgeries years ago)

When I got the EVH 5150-III EL34 S, it was a bit of an on the spot buy. Eddie was my first guitar hero and reason I picked up a guitar in the first place. After he died, I wanted to have an EVH amp and guitar as a collectible but something I can still use. The 6L6 is more of his tone that I dig.

Using a single coil pup instead of a humbucker on the green channel will help you get a cleaner tone.

Using a single coil pup instead of a humbucker on the green channel will help you get a cleaner tone.
Yes, definitely. The Green Channel on the 6L6 (mine anyway) is way cleaner than my EL34S. I'm sure folks are not getting the Stealth amps for their cleans though. Lol

Reactions: Geo
Back