Mayones?

base341

I don't see people talking about Mayones much here..
I've been gassing for a Regius lately and don't see a lot written about them really.
Anyone have one here or had one?

I’ve had a Duvell MBC and 2 Regius’s (the 2nd had a pale moon ebony top and fretboard and limba body) and have tried many others. I thought they all had very sleek playability and looked great, but didn’t do it for me in tone. Not bad at all tonally, but that’s what I’m most particular about and they all sounded sterile to me (some a lot more than others) and like they didn’t breathe enough. They were all very tight and articulate sounding, but I’ve kept other superstrat style guitars that still are better in that area without sounding sterile. I much prefer my older ESP Custom Horizon and other ESP Horizon Orignal’s I’ve tried over any Mayones and the Charvel Custom Shop I just got as well (maybe my new favorite superstrat)

One thing about them that I liked though was that every pickup I tried in my Regius sounding radically different (although still always sterile because of the guitar). I find guitars like these that don’t sound woody or warm really let you know what each pickup sounds like. If you play a super warm, resonant vintage Les Paul it kinda sounds the same no matter what you put in it. I tried a late ‘60’s Les Paul Deluxe loaded with current Gibson ‘57 Classics in it and it still sounded great and still almost as good as a few other vintage Gibson’s there with their real paf’s

The only superstrat type guitars I’m really curious to check out are GNG, Vik’s and more Charvel’s

braintheory":3sul31xu said:
I’ve had a Duvell and 2 Regius’s (the 2nd had a pale moon ebony top and fretboard and limba body) and have tried many others. I thought they all had very sleek playability and looked great, but didn’t do it for me in tone. Not bad at all tonally, but that’s what I’m most particular about and they all sounded sterile to me (some a lot more than others) and like they didn’t breathe enough. They were all very tight and articulate sounding, but I’ve kept other superstrat style guitars that still are better in that area without sounding sterile. I much prefer my older ESP Custom Horizon and other ESP Horizon Orignal’s I’ve tried over any Mayones and the Charvel Custom Shop I just got as well (maybe my new favorite superstrat)

One thing about them that I liked though was that every pickup I tried in my Regius sounding radically different (although still always sterile because of the guitar). I find guitars like these that don’t sound woody or warm really let you know what each pickup sounds like. If you play a super warm, resonant vintage Les Paul it kinda sounds the same no matter what you put in it. I tried a late ‘60’s Les Paul Deluxe loaded with current Gibson ‘57 Classics in it and it still sounded great and still almost as good as a few other vintage Gibson’s there with their real paf’s

The only superstrat type guitars I’m really curious to check out are GNG, Vik’s and more Charvel’s

Thanks for the feedback, at the end of the day it's tough to beat a good ESP Horizon. I had one a few years ago with a motor city afwayu in the bridge and it just killed! I don't know why the hell I sold it.

I have had a Duvell Quatsi for almost two years...AMAZING tone, fit/finish, playability. Excels at metal and isn't bad for other genres either.

Have had quite a few Mayones thru the years. It’s my favorite guitar brand.

Have a Duvell black limba in the way right now.

I have a custom Regius on order. I basically spec'd like my main guitar with Evertune, locking tuners, Seymour Duncan pickups. I've never bought a high end guitar so Im a bit nervous plus I still have to pay the remaining amount and life has been kicking me in the nuts lately financially.

After seeing Jeremy's post I kinda wonder if I should have went with Balaguer which was my second choice.

ClintN667":31sndumc said:
I have a custom Regius on order. I basically spec'd like my main guitar with Evertune, locking tuners, Seymour Duncan pickups. I've never bought a high end guitar so Im a bit nervous plus I still have to pay the remaining amount and life has been kicking me in the nuts lately financially.

After seeing Jeremy's post I kinda wonder if I should have went with Balaguer which was my second choice.

I may be interested in it if you're not digging it.
I love evertune, I'm sending an ESP eclipse standard to them this week to get it done.

I have three Duvells. Two MBCs and one of the Koa Limiteds. They are awesome. My favorite guitars to date.

FourT6and2":3mn53uhl said:
I have three Duvells. Two MBCs and one of the Koa Limiteds. They are awesome. My favorite guitars to date.

What is the tone and playability difference between the Duvell and the Regius?
Have you tried both?

base341":lwjufimt said:
braintheory":lwjufimt said:
I’ve had a Duvell and 2 Regius’s (the 2nd had a pale moon ebony top and fretboard and limba body) and have tried many others. I thought they all had very sleek playability and looked great, but didn’t do it for me in tone. Not bad at all tonally, but that’s what I’m most particular about and they all sounded sterile to me (some a lot more than others) and like they didn’t breathe enough. They were all very tight and articulate sounding, but I’ve kept other superstrat style guitars that still are better in that area without sounding sterile. I much prefer my older ESP Custom Horizon and other ESP Horizon Orignal’s I’ve tried over any Mayones and the Charvel Custom Shop I just got as well (maybe my new favorite superstrat)

Thanks for the feedback, at the end of the day it's tough to beat a good ESP Horizon. I had one a few years ago with a motor city afwayu in the bridge and it just killed! I don't know why the hell I sold it.

Didn't I sell you a Horizon with a MC pick-up way back when? I think I had a Solution in one and maybe an Afwayu in the other. Was it blue or black? The blue one sounded the best of all the horizons I had.

I will say that I now own 2 duvells and they blow away the 4 horizons I've had. I've never tried a Regius, but from everything I've read, the Duvell is the one to get.

base341":5x1prij3 said:
ClintN667":5x1prij3 said:

I may be interested in it if you're not digging it.
I love evertune, I'm sending an ESP eclipse standard to them this week to get it done.

I love Evertune too. Rewind the clock 2 years ago I didnt care what the fret material was and didnt want anything more than a hipshot or tune o matic. Now Im spoiled. I have high hopes for this guitar. Its a trans black regius with flame maple top and either alder or swamp ash body with chrome hardware(evertune, knobs, tuners). I cant wait but at the same time Im nervous

ClintN667":2xwdq40u said:

Don’t worry. Mayones are more consistent than anything I can think of.

base341":4r3ngzvi said:
FourT6and2":4r3ngzvi said:

Have you tried both?
I felt the Duvell MBC I had sounded a little woodier and more natural, but not quite as much sustain or tightness and a little more shallow sounding than the 2 Regius’ I had probably from having a bolt-on neck vs neck through

FWIW, I actually do think Mayones are one of the better metal/shred type guitars out there (and guys who’ve tried mine thought they were killer), but have just come across other stuff since then that I felt was better when compared and I still do maintain that they have a sterile quality to them that can get exposed if you compare them to certain guitars, but most modern made gear comes off that way to me honestly. I’ve compared them with other guitars I had (and still have) extensively both plugged in and unplugged with either identical or similar pickups and felt they lost out to a couple in sound. Just my opinion

The ESP’s in particular that I preferred are my Horizon from the ‘90’s and a newer original series Horizon that I tried at my local guitar center (was around $5k asking price new). I probably would actually choose Mayones over most other ESP’s I’ve tried

mhenson42":2phzafjd said:
base341":2phzafjd said:
braintheory":2phzafjd said:

Didn't I sell you a Horizon with a MC pick-up way back when? I think I had a Solution in one and maybe an Afwayu in the other. Was it blue or black? The blue one sounded the best of all the horizons I had.

I will say that I now own 2 duvells and they blow away the 4 horizons I've had. I've never tried a Regius, but from everything I've read, the Duvell is the one to get.

It was a black one!! I couldn't remember where I got it.
It was a great guitar.. I'm a dipshit for selling it :doh:
I've been on the hunt for an older horizon standard for a while.. They are tough to find these days.

braintheory":1p12rk8u said:
base341":1p12rk8u said:
FourT6and2":1p12rk8u said:

Have you tried both?
I felt the Duvell MBC I had sounded a little woodier and more natural, but not quite as much sustain or tightness and a little more shallow sounding than the 2 Regius’ I had probably from having a bolt-on neck vs neck through

FWIW, I actually do think Mayones are one of the better metal/shred type guitars out there (and guys who’ve tried mine thought they were killer), but have just come across other stuff since then that I felt was better when compared and I still do maintain that they have a sterile quality to them that can get exposed if you compare them to certain guitars, but most modern made gear comes off that way to me honestly. I’ve compared them with other guitars I had (and still have) extensively both plugged in and unplugged with either identical or similar pickups and felt they lost out to a couple in sound. Just my opinion

The ESP’s in particular that I preferred are my Horizon from the ‘90’s and a newer original series Horizon that I tried at my local guitar center (was around $5k asking price new). I probably would actually choose Mayones over most other ESP’s I’ve tried

Are you talking about one of the USA made ESP's?
My wife is Japanese so we go to Japan every few years, the guitar shops there are insane!
The first time I went if figured I'd go to the ESP store and score an awesome ESP or maybe even do a custom order.
The prices for Japanese made ESP's are more that double over there.. It's crazy!
I've been on the fence about trying a USA made one. I've heard some not so great things.

base341":2ncutcpt said:
braintheory":2ncutcpt said:
base341":2ncutcpt said:
FourT6and2":2ncutcpt said:

Have you tried both?

Are you talking about one of the USA made ESP's?
My wife is Japanese so we go to Japan every few years, the guitar shops there are insane!
The first time I went if figured I'd go to the ESP store and score an awesome ESP or maybe even do a custom order.
The prices for Japanese made ESP's are more that double over there.. It's crazy!
I've been on the fence about trying a USA made one. I've heard some not so great things.
The ones I’m talking about are Japanese. I wasn’t as impressed with the US ones

ClintN667":37q3cqjj said:

Yeah they guitars were beautiful but to me I prefer the ESP Japanese stuff I have played. To be fair it was NAMM...

base341":2xf67m8z said:
FourT6and2":2xf67m8z said:

Have you tried both?

Sorry, haven't played a Regius.

But the Duvells play great. Love the neck, the spacing, the fretwork, the feel of the guitar, everything about it really. No complaints. They really do let different pickups shine through. But the guitar itself does have its own character. I played PRS and LP Customs for years before switching to the Duvell.

Back