Mesa 16 ohm V30 vs marshall vintage 16ohm

VESmedic

Just thought I’d throw up two clips for people to check out to hear some of the differences. The 16ohm mesa v30 in an EVH cab is quickly becoming one of my favorite sounds around, what a combo. Anyways, same DI, EVH 5153 no boost, jackson B7 with dimarzio deactivators. Enjoy!

Mesa 16 ohm v30:

https://on.soundcloud.com/i6KZ4LQ5pnSKaft39

Marshall celestion vintage (16ohm)

https://on.soundcloud.com/mbgxeHvGp5W3DDwSA

They both absolutely rule to me. The Marshall is fuller, more even across the spectrum to me, more focused, more scooped. All preference, they all have their place.

Both are way sick. Actually think I prefer the Mesa here. Need to get my hands on some 16 ohm mesas. Really like how they’re sounding here!

Both are way sick. Actually think I prefer the Mesa here. Need to get my hands on some 16 ohm mesas. Really like how they’re sounding here!

Man I did too until about 20 minutes ago 😂 it’s got that good 1k mid push Mesa cabs/speakers are known to have, but the Marshall to me just sounds more full and less spikey, but also more brutal and thicker in the low Mids. They both rule, who cares haha.

Man I did too until about 20 minutes ago 😂 it’s got that good 1k mid push Mesa cabs/speakers are known to have, but the Marshall to me just sounds more full and less spikey, but also more brutal and thicker in the low Mids. They both rule, who cares haha.
I think the biggest thing I’ve learned going down the speaker rabbit hole is I like 16 ohm speakers way more than 8 and need to replace most of my 8s lol

I need a quad of 8 ohm Vintage 30s. Is there any real tonal difference?
Betweeen 16 ohm versions of the same speaker? Absolutely, for sure. No Mesa 8 ohm v30 sounds like this. Doesn’t mean that’s good or bad, they are just different for sure. 8 ohm is much more midrangey, less lows and highs etc.

The Marshall vintage has this dry cutting sound to it I really dig. The mesa sounds killer too.
Both sound sick. :rock:

Last edited:
I currently have 13 Vintage 30.

5 Mesa
4 Marshall

They all sound different. Nothing slight about it. I'm kind of curious if all the Celestion speakers are this random sounding ?

I currently have 13 Vintage 30.

5 Mesa
4 Marshall

They all sound different. Nothing slight about it. I'm kind of curious if all the Celestion speakers are this random sounding ?

Dude I’m telling you… they are…. They are way more inconsistent than people realize by far. The inconsistencies are way more pronounced under a mic for sure vs in the room, and I think that’s where the disconnect is. But, under a mic? All of these speakers are worlds different, 100 percent. All im
Hoping to show is some generality between the 2 speakers. Also because the 16 ohm Mesa V30 is literally NEVER brought up ever, it’s the forgotten speaker to me, and it rules.

Dude I’m telling you… they are…. They are way more inconsistent than people realize by far. The inconsistencies are way more pronounced under a mic for sure vs in the room, and I think that’s where the disconnect is. But, under a mic? All of these speakers are worlds different, 100 percent. All im
Hoping to show is some generality between the 2 speakers. Also because the 16 ohm Mesa V30 is literally NEVER brought up ever, it’s the forgotten speaker to me, and it rules.
4 of my Mesa are 8ohm. 1 is 16 ohm.

The rest are 16 ohm.

There is so many variables it is infinite. The cab. Where the cab is in the room. Where your standing in the room.

I'm using a Ampeg System Switcher. So I can change the cabs in real time. The amount of variation is amazing.

Even using two identical Orange 1x12 cabs with two identical speakers the sounds are very different.

It doesn't surprise me reviews are all over the place. Everyone is experiencing very different things.

I also currently also have here ...
4- P50E
2- EVM12L
2- G12K-85
2- G12M-25 greenback
2- G12H-30 70th Anniversary
2- G12H-75 creamback

Probably a few more. But I have been moving these around in different cabs and combinations. It's difficult to pick a favorite. I like them all.

Last edited:
Now i want some 16ohm Mesa Ones for my 1960B. Currently have the G12T75 Which i hate but i'm to lazy to swap them out.

@thegame nailed it. We never talk about these, that’s why I brought it up. I never use 2x12 recto cabs at all, which is what is in those, I just have never gotten my hands on a pair of them until now. Big fan so far though!

I like both, personally. I bet both could be used for different applications. For this particular clip, I liked the Mesa better, but the Marshall is indeed fatter and just fuller-range.

I've always wanted to hear how a Recto cab with 4 16 Ohm Mesa V30's would sound like. Personally, in the room, I prefer 16 ohm speakers 90% of the time. Recorded, though, the 8 Ohm Recto cab is kinda *that* sound.

Back