Metallica - Black Album tones

EXPcustom":2ks6d8ey said:
OldSkoolNJ":2ks6d8ey said:
EXPcustom":2ks6d8ey said:
155":2ks6d8ey said:
OldSkoolNJ":2ks6d8ey said:
Shask":2ks6d8ey said:
I thought it was still the Mark IIC+ as well. They just dialed in more mids than their earlier albums, and obviously the studio magic...
That was always my assumption too... Dunno what albums setting this is but it is his..

its showing absolutley no mids on that amp!

I ran those settings on my Mark IIC+ last week and its a tremendous amount of bass, they had to have been running it with another amp there is just no way it was by itself like that.

What about the Aphex paremetric eq in the loop?

Good idea, I will buy one and report back. :LOL: :LOL:

I see Furman, Aphex and ADA MQ1 mentioned in different years with Hetfields rig...
I thought you had the Furman?

Actually I have the MQ1, wait I do have the Furman but it the reissue. I do plan on messing with the IIC+ more in the future but my point was those settings by themselves dont work.

jasonP":2nlz4lla said:
locoed":2nlz4lla said:
They didn't use Recto's for that album,MK IIC+ MK4 Marshall,triaxis.
400's watch the video "year and a half in the life of Metallica"
Hetfield was also using a Danelectro baritone for some of the heavier riffs.
And yes that tone is untouchable and heavy,love that sound,to bad they didn't record puppets and justice with those tones..

+1 to your post.
Yeah I have that video too! I remember watching it and thinking holy fuck, "Sad but true" guitar tone is just killing.

Sad But True - just an excellent song. When I saw them last year, that was the song that the entire arena screamed back the full length of the song.

Metal lives.... :rock: :rock:

OldSkoolNJ":jkgsdqbu said:
Shask":jkgsdqbu said:
I thought it was still the Mark IIC+ as well. They just dialed in more mids than their earlier albums, and obviously the studio magic...
That was always my assumption too... Dunno what albums setting this is but it is his..

I am going to assume that pic is from the Puppets/GDR-R/Justice time period from other pics I have seen.

I will have to try that on my Mark III! That looks like much less gain than other pics I have seen. Normally they are around 7/9 on the volume and lead drive...

EDIT, I just saw the gain says 9.5 (I thought it was 4.5 at first :doh: ) I will assume Justice, because their volume control went up from about 7 to 9 from Puppets to Justice.

Holy shit there's a lot of good info here guys, keep it coming!

How do the Mark IV's compare to the older Mark IIC+ models? If one had to guess if one amp was pulling harder than the other, which would it be? Mark IV because of the Simul-Class? I'm a noob with Mesa Mark series amps.

Also, does it sound to anyone else that there may not be V30's in James' Mesa cab? Does anyone know for sure what speakers were in his Boogie cab at the time of the Black Album?

Kirks tracks weren't on that album,just his solo's,poor guy is just a punching bag.
And if I recall,James did 2 solo's as well.
James also had that SWEET Mesa Boogie graphic EQ

Shask":306tq6ba said:
OldSkoolNJ":306tq6ba said:
Shask":306tq6ba said:

I am going to assume that pic is from the Puppets/GDR-R/Justice time period from other pics I have seen.

I will have to try that on my Mark III! That looks like much less gain than other pics I have seen. Normally they are around 7/9 on the volume and lead drive...

EDIT, I just saw the gain says 9.5 (I thought it was 4.5 at first :doh: ) I will assume Justice, because their volume control went up from about 7 to 9 from Puppets to Justice.

No that's black album "tour" era, see that sticker covering the logo, those were only available after the black album was released.

That picture is during the Black Album tour. Added mids to the sound with either a Furman PQ, an ADA MQ-1, or a Mesa EQ Hetfiled had built for him IIRC. It's been a LONG time since I was active in the Metallica gear and news camp.

CaseyCor":3jmhm6hp said:
That picture is during the Black Album tour. Added mids to the sound with either a Furman PQ, an ADA MQ-1, or a Mesa EQ Hetfiled had built for him IIRC. It's been a LONG time since I was active in the Metallica gear and news camp.

Haha me to and I still do not give a shit..
But I would have killed for all of that info when I was teenager :LOL: :LOL:

There is a few other pictures I do not see on that site I posted and that includes other Mesa Settings that they used in the studio but dunno what albums they used them..
If I remember where I saw them I will post them..

I always dig the hell out of the clip of Hetfield playing that baritone tuned an octave under the rhythm guitars for Sad But True. Definitely a trick I've started using.

Jordon":dsawjf0o said:
I always dig the hell out of the clip of Hetfield playing that baritone tuned an octave under the rhythm guitars for Sad But True. Definitely a trick I've started using.

What clip? is it in the "a year and a half in the life of metallica"?

EDIT: I just watched the clip, when I watched the movie again.

EXPcustom":2r5uw8o9 said:
Shask":2r5uw8o9 said:
OldSkoolNJ":2r5uw8o9 said:
Shask":2r5uw8o9 said:

No that's black album "tour" era, see that sticker covering the logo, those were only available after the black album was released.
Yup, guess so. I dont know how I missed that HUGE sticker, lol. :confused:

I thought the Black tour was when he started using the Triaxis rig?

What does he add with the EQ? Does anyone know for certain?

Jordon":vn4w37x1 said:
For sure, that was pretty cool especially back then when baritones weren't commonplace. I always wondered as a beginner back then how the hell his tone sounded so huge in that clip. :LOL: :LOL: BTW, do you know what kind of speaker he was playing through in that clip? I remember it was rattling and moving some serious air!

glassjaw7":x9mjedaf said:
Jordon":x9mjedaf said:
For sure, that was pretty cool especially back then when baritones weren't commonplace. I always wondered as a beginner back then how the hell his tone sounded so huge in that clip. :LOL: :LOL: BTW, do you know what kind of speaker he was playing through in that clip? I remember it was rattling and moving some serious air!

I think that shot that you're referring to was a close-up of the studio monitor (an NS-10, if I remember correctly), not the guitar cab/speaker.

Shask":1ibx3x5b said:
EXPcustom":1ibx3x5b said:
OldSkoolNJ":1ibx3x5b said:

Yup, guess so. I dont know how I missed that HUGE sticker, lol. :confused:

I thought the Black tour was when he started using the Triaxis rig?

What does he add with the EQ? Does anyone know for certain?
MIDZ!!!!!!

tom_h":33oxmds8 said:
glassjaw7":33oxmds8 said:
Jordon":33oxmds8 said:

I think that shot that you're referring to was a close-up of the studio monitor (an NS-10, if I remember correctly), not the guitar cab/speaker.

Yea, poor little guy. I know they said they blew a few speakers out during that album.

Back