Mills Acoustics Afterburner 4x12: Straight vs Slant

Faldoe

Anyone have experience with both? I have an opportunity to get the slanted cab and wanted some opinions on it. Also eying an Orange 4x12

I complain about straight cabs every chance I get. The guitar player standing next to it cannot hear the treble coming off the speakers. Those frequencies fall off a cliff over 30 degrees or so off axis from the speakers. The slant gets them pointed at you so you can actually hear what the cab is putting out. Some people think slants are too bright, but it's just their tone that's too bright.

IMHO.

I complain about straight cabs every chance I get. The guitar player standing next to it cannot hear the treble coming off the speakers. Those frequencies fall off a cliff over 30 degrees or so off axis from the speakers. The slant gets them pointed at you so you can actually hear what the cab is putting out. Some people think slants are too bright, but it's just their tone that's too bright.

IMHO.
This.

I really hate the phase cancellation issues with slant cabinets and they just don’t sound right to me, but I understand where everybody’s coming from,
You can hear the slants better… Obviously.

Last edited:
What did you prefer about the Bogner’s tone? I’ve not yet tried any Mills, but have an Ubercab and used to own a Bogner 212 OS
I have a rear loaded Bogner v30s. Both my mills had v30s. The Bogner is warmer in a good way, more low end. Sweeter more musical. Its my fav cab now. 2nd is my Mesa.

I have read wizard of ozz experiences with mills. It would 100% turn me off. But I have a mills. And I put all k100s in it, the same as what wizz hated the most it seems. I think it is awesome sounding. Best cab I have played through. I know quite a few guys that loved the mills also. May not be the best cab in the world like it was advertised, but i doubt it is near the bottom..lol.

I have read wizard of ozz experiences with mills. It would 100% turn me off. But I have a mills. And I put all k100s in it, the same as what wizz hated the most it seems. I think it is awesome sounding. Best cab I have played through. I know quite a few guys that loved the mills also. May not be the best cab in the world like it was advertised, but i doubt it is near the bottom..lol.

Yep agree. Different horses for different courses. I had K100s... then EV200s... then V30s... then sold it. That thing was built nice... but I think that was ultimately the problem. It was so big, heavy, and over-built and over-braced to hell and back... that it affected the sound in a negative way imhe. I know mine has changed hands twice since I sold it.

I had a slant Mills that sounded incredible. It was also impractical due to its size/weight. My rehearsal studio at the time was a walk up industrial 2 story and the back aches were memorable.

IMHO.
I love straight cabs...
You just need to move a few feet away to hear the actual sound...
In slanted you can hear it from 6ft...in straight you just need about 16...

I had a Mills straight. Was definitely an upgrade over the Mesa 4x12 w/ 4 v30s I had at the time -- I A/Bd them when I first got it. Now I have a Bogner slant/straight, diezel straight, and mesa slant. All depends on what you like and where you like to play with respect to the cab. For me in a small space, the slants just work better.

Back