Morris UK68 Amplifier

I've got a Morris amp and not totally satisfied with it and Glen's response to helping me diagnose it, but it does sound good enough (and very clean layout) that I'd roll the dice and try another model to add to the collection. He has some sick sounding amps for sure.

Hey Squarehead...you're from up in the Northern Hinterlands.....have you tried out any of Glens amps?

You should test drive this UK68 and give us the lowdown..................:yes:

Ya, he’s only about 2 hrs from me, last time I checked.
I once briefly compared his perplex’d amplifier to a Wizard, but I guess that wasn’t a fair fight😉

I have the Morris 69'/70 Muscle. I can't say enough good things about this amp. Best master volume out there. Even at low volumes the amp sounds dynamic, raw, punchy and open. That's a big deal to me because most of my playing time is at home. Playing out w the band is on another level, but having the ability to have great tone at lower volumes is awesome. This amp is so easy to dial in! I love my Wizard, but if you fart near it you're tweaking knobs to get the tone back.

Ya, he’s only about 2 hrs from me, last time I checked.
I once briefly compared his perplex’d amplifier to a Wizard, but I guess that wasn’t a fair fight😉
I know you have played just about every amp out there so I figured you would be a great judge of character regarding whether or not this amp really cops the plexi tones that we hear in the clips......I know two hour drives are a bit much for a test drive but I thought I would ask anyway....maybe spark a little interest on your part......WINK WINK.....NOD NOD........:LOL::poke:

That one does look kinda rats nest-y but it’s hard to tell. The Sirrom I have is pretty clean and well built.
IMG_9616.jpeg

Clips sound great!

I’m curious: two EL34s making 85 watts?

I’m not a tech, but isn’t that a lot for just two EL34s?

Is it just me or is that PTP wiring there on the sloppy side?
Who cares what it “looks” like as long as it is structurally sound and kicks ass tone wise?

Glen didn’t just wake up one day and decide to jump on the amp building bandwagon.
https://www.morrisamps.com/about.html

He is extremely meticulous. He’s constantly trying different components and even transformers during the build process using alligator clips. My only complaint is that he may come up with something “better” after you get your amp. That’s because he’s constantly tinkering……which is great IMO.

He has told me several times that schematics don’t mean much in his brain. He is constantly moving wires around and putting them in non-traditional paths to make things better, whether that’s floor noise, tone, safety, or whatever. I’ve lost count of how many Morris amps I’ve owned and have never had a problem.

Last edited:
Who cares what it “looks” like as long as it is structurally sound and kicks ass tone wise?

Glen didn’t just wake up one day and decide to jump on the amp building bandwagon.
https://www.morrisamps.com/about.html

He is extremely meticulous. He’s constantly trying different components and even transformers during the build process using alligator clips. My only complaint is that he may come up with something “better” after you get your amp. That’s because he’s constantly tinkering……which is great IMO.

He has told me several times that schematics don’t mean much in his brain. He is constantly moving wires around and putting them in non-traditional paths to make things better, whether that’s floor noise, tone, safety, or whatever. So yeah his builds may “look” sloppy. But I’ve lost count of how many Morris amps I’ve owned and have never had a problem.
So we agree then that it "looks" sloppy. I'm not so sure a cleaner, neater, PTP wiring job would prohibit other builders from doing the same kind of circuit experimentations.

So we agree then that it "looks" sloppy. I'm not so sure a cleaner, neater, PTP wiring job would prohibit other builders from doing the same kind of circuit experimentations.
It 100% is sloppy. Looks wilder than an old Traynor and I think mine is already spaghetti. But if it fucks, it fucks! She might be sloppy but she's bringing the goods.

Ps- I am working on mine so yes, I am aware there are hanging leads..

Attachments

• 20240224_165508.jpg
    20240224_165508.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 19
Maybe. I don’t know because I don’t open up all my electronics to see what they look like. I’ve since edited that statement out because I didn’t know internal appearance makes or breaks a great amp. All I do is play them.

Oh man. I know the ad online where that came from. That is not a Morris build. I know it's badged like one, and it's something Glen was maybe trying to clean up for a customer and spent some limited time on at some point, but that's not what you get if you order a Morris amp.
I remember that now. If I remember right, he put something out on social media about it to head off any naysayers.

Back