Most organic mojo pedal EQ - GE-10?

Kapo_Polenton

As per the title,

Let's talk EQ's. I have a GE-7 which is a bit noisy but I use it before my OD to tighten up and shape the beast that a NMV can be. However, I find that sometimes when i shape, the GE-7 sort of layers this sound over the amp and takes away the chewiness of the NMV amp roaring away. Should I just bite the bullet and go GE-10 ? Sounds great on a lot of the VH noodling youtube vids I hear. Sounds like it keeps the character of the source more. Anyone try the Boss GE-200? Do the many overpriced GE-7 mods make the pedal any better or do they just tackle the noise issue? Turn that smile into a frown shape and let's go!

EDIT: BOSS EQ-200 - Why don't they just do a GE-10.2

The GE-10 is great, I’ve got one myself, but it imo also does that layering thing you’re talking about, so not sure I’d recommend it. My old blue mxr 10 band I feel is more organic, but less flexible, can’t be shaped to do as much. Also, “sounds great” and “EVH noodling” should never ever be used in the same sentence lol. You’ve just won the award for oxymoron of the year. Just joking in case it’s not clear to the EVH worshippers here

Last edited:
This! I myself use an old blue mxr 6 band. I’ve got an old GE10 as well, but don’t think it’ll do as well what the op wants and true mxr is more organic to my ears

The new 6 bands do not seem to have the same fanfare as the old ones though right? Same with the 10 from what I have seen

The new 6 bands do not seem to have the same fanfare as the old ones though right? Same with the 10 from what I have seen
I’ve admittedly not tried the newer 6 bands. Only tried the newer 10 band ones and didn’t like those as much. The older gear seems to always win if you want a more organic and raw sound, which I for sure tend to prefer. Not sure what they go for these days, but I think I paid like $50 for my blue 6 band

Screenshot_20220902-165305_Chrome.jpg

I've tried both vintage and new MXR 6-bands and a regular and KK 10-band and prefer both the GE-7 and GE-10 over them. GE-10 is def better but some of the mods do seem to help out the GE7 with both noise and transparency

I'd take the cheap Dano Fish n Chips over the GE7, and any modern MXR. But the vintage GE 10 takes the cake here. From what I've had anyway.

Most organic EQ pedal I’ve tried was an olive green Multivox ‘Big Jam’ 6 band graphic EQ pedal. Very warm and chunky sounding, much more so than even an early 80’s Boss GE-7. Incidentally, those earlier GE-7s (without a level control) sound better than later ones with it. Or the feature set difference could have been the later ones had 1 extra frequency band, can’t remember.

Most organic EQ pedal I’ve tried was an olive green Multivox ‘Big Jam’ 6 band graphic EQ pedal. Very warm and chunky sounding, much more so than even an early 80’s Boss GE-7. Incidentally, those earlier GE-7s (without a level control) sound better than later ones with it. Or the feature set difference could have been the later ones had 1 extra frequency band, can’t remember.
Great another pedal to look for to try lol. Haven’t heard of that brand, but looks like it was Japanese and wondering now if some of their other pedals were also cool

I had a very old MXR 6 band that sounded really good. VERY noisy though. The hiss was hard to deal with if your not using a gate. Great pedal tho…

In case anyone is still interested I have now this green Big Jam EQ pedal as well as their vintage delay/reverb and octaver pedal. They all have the same vibe: very organic like you said, very warm, vintage/old school, dark, but also kinda lo-fi, soft and weak/not muscle-y. They’re all cool pedals that I’ll keep for now, but I still prefer my vintage blue mxr & Boss GE-10 Graphic EQ’s. They have way more range in the eq, sound way more solid, punchy, hi-fi and still pretty organic to me (the mxr more so). The big jam is nice for cleans, but for high gain it’s the other 2 for me

The Big Jam Delay/Reverb is decent for a pedal, but sounds like trash vs the ‘70’s Furman RV-1. The Octave pedal has some interesting sounds in there. Lo-Fi in a cool way

Last edited:
Back