Most underrated drummer?

I always thought Triviums first drummer Travis Smith was an incredible talent. Seems like he hasn’t done anything since leaving

I thought Frankie Benali was just an OK drummer until I heard him on the WASP records, specifically The Crimson Idol. He was really holding back (or held back) with Quiet Riot! Today is the 2nd anniversary of his death.
Love the work he did with W.A.S.P.

One guy who comes to mind for me even though he’s well known is Vinny Appice. I think because he’s never been a crazy, over the top kind of player he is underrated in the metal and hard rock world, but that’s kind of what makes him stand out to me. When you listen to any of his stuff with Dio or Sabbath, there’s actually a lot going on with his playing but it’s in the beat and the dynamics and the hihat and stuff. Some people probably don’t realize how important his playing is to those albums.

Bobby Jarzombeck BY FAR. He's a sick MF'r. Halford, Fates Warning, Arch/Mateos, he's up there in my top 3-4. If Rush decided to tour, he's the guy. His footwork is amazing.

Dave McClain from Machine Head certainly gets no love.

Eloy Cassagrande is way up there too. He's without a doubt, the heaviest hitter I've seen.

Pete Webber is another.

Saw Bobby with Riot in a small club in the Bay Area on Thanksgiving night around 89/90?
There was MAYBE 100-150 people in this place. Vicious Rumors opened and they killed it as usual and then Riot came on and blew me away. I was a Riot fan from the old days , but this was next level shit these guys laid down. I was mesmerized by this drummer who I had know idea was this good. Just amazing.
Saw Bobby later on a few years with Halford. Still killed it. Lots of guys wouldn’t know him from Adam.

Vinnie apiece one of the best rock drummers.
Ken Mary is another incredible drummer that Flys under the radar.

:confused:

EDIT:
The previous post just said, "Wrong" and I was responding to that. Poster chose to delete it.

That said, if anyone figured I was confused just because I'm such a dimwit, you're probably right too. :dunno:

Last edited:
One guy who comes to mind for me even though he’s well known is Vinny Appice. I think because he’s never been a crazy, over the top kind of player he is underrated in the metal and hard rock world, but that’s kind of what makes him stand out to me. When you listen to any of his stuff with Dio or Sabbath, there’s actually a lot going on with his playing but it’s in the beat and the dynamics and the hihat and stuff. Some people probably don’t realize how important his playing is to those albums.
He was in Sabbath when I saw them in San Francisco in 1982 . One of the best shows I've ever seen

This song (studio version) was a 9:52 1 taker by this guy. He's insane.

Jimmy-Chamberlin-2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back