NAD: Diezel Herbert MKIII

Congrats... but hows the new 6l6 str redbase tube sound? Any sizzle on the tone with tuning the master volume up?
That’s the thing, playing with the channel/master volumes takes it from tight/compressed to open/dynamic. I am still playing with the knobs like crazy as it sounds really good for different songs. Has some good versatility. I am impressed with the 6L6 tubes, I’ll definitely try stock KT77’s just to see how they feel.

@Bro KV .. nice amp i just find the KT77 dont suit my liking on my Herbie i recently changed to EL34Bstr and it works better with my masters up... i hear a cleaner tone without the fuzz on top compared to the KT77.... am intrigued by the new redbase 6L6 you have in ya herbie... but wonder it does with some top end fuzz when da masters pushed ?

@Bro KV .. nice amp i just find the KT77 dont suit my liking on my Herbie i recently changed to EL34Bstr and it works better with my masters up... i hear a cleaner tone without the fuzz on top compared to the KT77.... am intrigued by the new redbase 6L6 you have in ya herbie... but wonder it does with some top end fuzz when da masters pushed ?
I can't even imagine the geographic devastation in attempting to "push" the 6 tube master / power section of the Herbert :ROFLMAO:🤩

I definitely haven’t pushed like that. LOL

That’s the thing, playing with the channel/master volumes takes it from tight/compressed to open/dynamic. I am still playing with the knobs like crazy as it sounds really good for different songs. Has some good versatility. I am impressed with the 6L6 tubes, I’ll definitely try stock KT77’s just to see how they feel.
I'll be interested to see what you think if you compare the 6L6 and KT77. My VH2 came with 6L6s too. It sounds great, but I've never played another Diezel, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Before I ordered, I emailed and asked and Leo Diezel Answered:
As for 6L6 vs KT77 they are similar, 6L6 are a bit more scooped and open, you can change it really easily even just to try them out and check if that’s something you like more!

I'll be interested to see what you think if you compare the 6L6 and KT77. My VH2 came with 6L6s too. It sounds great, but I've never played another Diezel, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Before I ordered, I emailed and asked and Leo Diezel Answered:
As for 6L6 vs KT77 they are similar, 6L6 are a bit more scooped and open, you can change it really easily even just to try them out and check if that’s something you like more!
I own a vh4 and a Herbert mk 1 and Herbert mk 3 . I immediately like the amp better as soon as I get the kt77s out and 6l6s in . I tried el34s and kt88s as well . The 6l6s just sounded more agressive and punchy but still super rich IMO. Everyone is different but for me it’s a 6l6 brand in my mind lol . Weird I know

I own a vh4 and a Herbert mk 1 and Herbert mk 3 . I immediately like the amp better as soon as I get the kt77s out and 6l6s in . I tried el34s and kt88s as well . The 6l6s just sounded more agressive and punchy but still super rich IMO. Everyone is different but for me it’s a 6l6 brand in my mind lol . Weird I know
Not weird. Again, I can't compare, but there is nothing wrong with these 6L6s and I see no reason to swap other than to chase tone and hope the grass is greener.

And the clean channel on this VH2 is amazing. Maybe the 6L6s helping but the demo video sounds great with KT77s too, so probably just the amp. That reminds me I need to post about this clean channel. Its so good for a heavy amp.

I'm in the minority, I used EL34's in all my diezels. I almost always crank my amps till they just begin to breakup. Love the crunch.

Not weird. Again, I can't compare, but there is nothing wrong with these 6L6s and I see no reason to swap other than to chase tone and hope the grass is greener.

And the clean channel on this VH2 is amazing. Maybe the 6L6s helping but the demo video sounds great with KT77s too, so probably just the amp. That reminds me I need to post about this clean channel. Its so good for a heavy amp.
All Diezels to me have really good underrated clean tones . Especially for being know as high gain . Cool you got a vh2!

Are JJs the normal KT77s in Diezels?
They have been the stock tube for quite some time now - however - with some supply chain issues with JJ et al, Papa has chosen to go with loading all his amps with his preferred 6L6 tube now.

As for EL34 vs KT77 vs 6L6, I can say with first hand use over the years of playing Diezels, the 77s are a great blend of what the 6L6 brings for sparkle and thump with the grunty midrange that of the 34. That's my take on how 77s sound in Diezels - kinda like the zenith of both spectrums melded together.

6L6 are sparkly and offer solid thump but yes, can sound a tad scooped - and a lot depends on the tube, its bias, and where your EQ is at. EL34 is mid grunt heavy, has decent top end - sparkle but a darker sparkle, not as shimmering as the 6L6 - and has a "decent" low end push - again - some 34s deliver a serious gut punch, low/mid-low, but they're not known for that subharmonic rumbling earthquake palm-mute thunder.

I ran 6550s for years in my VH4 and it was by far the most crushing tube out there - and ya, they were the =C= SED Russian varietal. I've since pulled all my 6550s and kept them in reserve and run JJ77s in my Diezels, or GenalexGoldLion77s.

Back