NAD: Hiwatt Super-Hi 50

  • Thread starter Thread starter Soundstorm
  • Start date Start date
Soundstorm

Soundstorm

Well-known member
Quick first impressions: I fucking love this thing. I originally bought a Diezel Paul and this Hiwatt to compare and likely return one of them. Well, the Paul was damaged in shipping, but was still functional. But for my purposes, which is low tuned baritone sludgy metal, the Hiwatt made quick work of the Paul. I've owned a number of Diezels now, with the exception of the Herbert, and I think they all tend to get stuffy in the preamp pretty quick if you have a low tuned high output guitar. The obvious solution to this is boosting, but I'm looking for something that could handle this kind of style without *needing* a boost.

That's where the Super-Hi comes in, which was specifically co-designed by Fortin for extended range guitars. So I can actually have a great tone without needing to sculpt it before the amp. It's not super dry or tight, not oversaturated, but right in the sweet spot. In the regular 3 gain stage mode it can pull off some really convincing early Marshall tones to my ear. With the four gain stage mode engaged the sound is beefy, clear, with great percussiveness and string separation. I'm very curious to know how the custom shop handwired version compares. But overall I'm very happy with this one, definitely a keeper. I took some gut shots for you guys and will likely post some clips soon. Btw, the first thing I did was get rid of the stock Psvane preamp tubes for a Tung Sol in V1, and a NOS Brimar in V2. Increased gain and feel pretty dramatically. Let me know what you guys think and if anyone else has given one of these a shot. This is the Chinese made PCB version, but as long as it proves to be reliable I'll be very happy with my purchase.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1306.jpeg
    IMG_1306.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1305.jpeg
    IMG_1305.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1304.jpeg
    IMG_1304.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1302.jpeg
    IMG_1302.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 167
Quick first impressions: I fucking love this thing. I originally bought a Diezel Paul and this Hiwatt to compare and likely return one of them. Well, the Paul was damaged in shipping, but was still functional. But for my purposes, which is low tuned baritone sludgy metal, the Hiwatt made quick work of the Paul. I've owned a number of Diezels now, with the exception of the Herbert, and I think they all tend to get stuffy in the preamp pretty quick if you have a low tuned high output guitar. The obvious solution to this is boosting, but I'm looking for something that could handle this kind of style without *needing* a boost.

That's where the Super-Hi comes in, which was specifically co-designed by Fortin for extended range guitars. So I can actually have a great tone without needing to sculpt it before the amp. It's not super dry or tight, not oversaturated, but right in the sweet spot. In the regular 3 gain stage mode it can pull off some really convincing early Marshall tones to my ear. With the four gain stage mode engaged the sound is beefy, clear, with great percussiveness and string separation. I'm very curious to know how the custom shop handwired version compares. But overall I'm very happy with this one, definitely a keeper. I took some gut shots for you guys and will likely post some clips soon. Btw, the first thing I did was get rid of the stock Psvane preamp tubes for a Tung Sol in V1, and a NOS Brimar in V2. Increased gain and feel pretty dramatically. Let me know what you guys think and if anyone else has given one of these a shot. This is the Chinese made PCB version, but as long as it proves to be reliable I'll be very happy with my purchase.
Glad to hear you are so pleased with it! I’ve had the custom shop version since late 2018 and have really enjoyed it. Have not tried the pcb version yet but will hopefully be getting one in short order to try out and compare and contrast with the custom.

How do you like the 3-way Deep switch? I presume it acts kind of as a negative feedback selector?

Also Hiwatt made some good practical improvements with this version (ability to turn the Super Hi setting on/off on the amp itself instead of just with the pedal and LED indicators for channels/Super Hi).

Glad these are finally out and hopefully shipping regularly. These amps have been criminally overlooked and now at this price point vs. the custom shop rates they can get into more players’ hands.
 
How's the Master Volume? Does it get loud pretty quick? Good effects loop?

I've looked at these. Pricey for imports, but everything is pricey these days.
 
Congrats! I've had one (50W) a few months ago. Pretty cool amp for metal - has some good clean tones in it too but the shared EQ makes it impractical for that stuff.

@napalmdeath - the loop on my unit was good (not noisy at all etc) and the Master has good range in & doesn't go from 0 to "hammer smashed face" lol quick; just a nice usable range overall.
 
Glad to hear you are so pleased with it! I’ve had the custom shop version since late 2018 and have really enjoyed it. Have not tried the pcb version yet but will hopefully be getting one in short order to try out and compare and contrast with the custom.

How do you like the 3-way Deep switch? I presume it acts kind of as a negative feedback selector?

Also Hiwatt made some good practical improvements with this version (ability to turn the Super Hi setting on/off on the amp itself instead of just with the pedal and LED indicators for channels/Super Hi).

Glad these are finally out and hopefully shipping regularly. These amps have been criminally overlooked and now at this price point vs. the custom shop rates they can get into more players’ hands.
We definitely need to hear how these two compete head to head.
 
I can't wait to hear the PCB version in person. I got a Custom Super Hi 50 and just love it. The amp is incredible for playing anything from blues to metal. If the PCB version is anything like the PTP I'm going to love it too!
Here is mine with a Zemaitis with PAFs.
 
Glad to hear you are so pleased with it! I’ve had the custom shop version since late 2018 and have really enjoyed it. Have not tried the pcb version yet but will hopefully be getting one in short order to try out and compare and contrast with the custom.

How do you like the 3-way Deep switch? I presume it acts kind of as a negative feedback selector?

Also Hiwatt made some good practical improvements with this version (ability to turn the Super Hi setting on/off on the amp itself instead of just with the pedal and LED indicators for channels/Super Hi).

Glad these are finally out and hopefully shipping regularly. These amps have been criminally overlooked and now at this price point vs. the custom shop rates they can get into more players’ hands.
Yes I'm pretty sure that's what the deep switch is doing. There's a volume increase with each click to the right. I keep it in the middle.
 
How's the Master Volume? Does it get loud pretty quick? Good effects loop?

I've looked at these. Pricey for imports, but everything is pricey these days.
It seems to have a pretty smooth taper but I'm running it into a Reload II. I haven't tried the FX loop yet.
 
How do you like the 3-way Deep switch? I presume it acts kind of as a negative feedback selector?
Sort of. Their "Deep" switch isn't a typical depth/resonance control (which is usually a 1M pot with 4700pF capacitor in the NFB circuit). Hiwatts like this (Based on the DR504) have a hardwired low-pass filter after the presence circuit. Because it's in the NFB circuit, the low-pass forms a fixed treble boost. This low-pass is a 0.01uF cap and resistor. As you increase this capacitor value, it gradually defeats NFB (and gradually renders the presence control inoperative). The byproduct of this is a perceived increase in the girth of the soundstage and low end. But it's really just how any amp will sound when bypassing NFB.

https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/classic-circuits/hiwatt-phase-inverter/

"To the right of the presence control is a 470Ω resistor and a 0.01μF capacitor in series. They form a shunt impedance for a fixed low-pass filter for the feedback signal, thereby reducing negative feedback for high frequencies. This fixed treble boost combines with the presence control's variable treble boost to create the control dynamics that Hiwatt founder Dave Reeves wanted to achieve."
 
Quick first impressions: I fucking love this thing. I originally bought a Diezel Paul and this Hiwatt to compare and likely return one of them. Well, the Paul was damaged in shipping, but was still functional. But for my purposes, which is low tuned baritone sludgy metal, the Hiwatt made quick work of the Paul. I've owned a number of Diezels now, with the exception of the Herbert, and I think they all tend to get stuffy in the preamp pretty quick if you have a low tuned high output guitar. The obvious solution to this is boosting, but I'm looking for something that could handle this kind of style without *needing* a boost.

That's where the Super-Hi comes in, which was specifically co-designed by Fortin for extended range guitars. So I can actually have a great tone without needing to sculpt it before the amp. It's not super dry or tight, not oversaturated, but right in the sweet spot. In the regular 3 gain stage mode it can pull off some really convincing early Marshall tones to my ear. With the four gain stage mode engaged the sound is beefy, clear, with great percussiveness and string separation. I'm very curious to know how the custom shop handwired version compares. But overall I'm very happy with this one, definitely a keeper. I took some gut shots for you guys and will likely post some clips soon. Btw, the first thing I did was get rid of the stock Psvane preamp tubes for a Tung Sol in V1, and a NOS Brimar in V2. Increased gain and feel pretty dramatically. Let me know what you guys think and if anyone else has given one of these a shot. This is the Chinese made PCB version, but as long as it proves to be reliable I'll be very happy with my purchase.

Looks well built. I'd prefer not to see metal oxide resistors in the signal path, though. Not sure why they used those. But good to see they updated the notoriously problematic classic Hiwatt bias circuit with dual, independently adjustable bias. The layout looks good. Purple boards... +50 tone points.
 
When your rig grows up...it will want to be like mine: OG hand wired - LA412 w/FANE F70's fuck'n brutality.
 

Attachments

  • DooM Rig.jpg
    DooM Rig.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
Looks well built. I'd prefer not to see metal oxide resistors in the signal path, though. Not sure why they used those. But good to see they updated the notoriously problematic classic Hiwatt bias circuit with dual, independently adjustable bias. The layout looks good. Purple boards... +50 tone points.
Looks like you can dial in each power tube separately, assuming with an A & B trim pot?
 
Looks well built. I'd prefer not to see metal oxide resistors in the signal path, though. Not sure why they used those. But good to see they updated the notoriously problematic classic Hiwatt bias circuit with dual, independently adjustable bias. The layout looks good. Purple boards... +50 tone points.
I'm not an amp tech but I was half expecting to see SMD, thin circuit boards, and ribbon cables everywhere. I was pleasantly surprised when I looked under the hood. The boards are thick with no give to them, components are through-hole. I'll update this thread down the road if it proves to be reliable or not.
 
I'm not an amp tech but I was half expecting to see SMD, thin circuit boards, and ribbon cables everywhere. I was pleasantly surprised when I looked under the hood. The boards are thick with no give to them, components are through-hole. I'll update this thread down the road if it proves to be reliable or not.
Update with clips! I like the smaller footprint this vs. the Custom. This one's only 21".
 
Back
Top