NAD : KSR PA50

dawnofdreamx97

What's up gang ,

I hope everyone is doing well!

I snagged a KSR PA50 from Kyle and co.... along with that I grabbed a ceres 3 channel preamp and a eros boost as well.

I wanted to share a quick clip made with my cell phone last night, the audio gets smashed when I really open it up but man does it sound killer.

Clip was just the ceres preamp into the pa50 , guitar was my carvin dc127 with aldrich pickups , cab is my trusty marshall 4x12 with h30 any and cl80 in x pattern ....

Hope you enjoy , I am truly blown away at the output , tone and size of this setup, it is bad ass.

Nick

Some pics for size reference

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210317-124108_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210317-124108_Photos.jpg
    724.8 KB · Views: 250
  • Screenshot_20210317-124157_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210317-124157_Photos.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Screenshot_20210317-124134_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210317-124134_Photos.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 196
This is great. My buddy and I are looking hard at this setup. Need some details. Where you on Rhythm and Lead? Settings, ala where were the mids, gain level, etc?

I feel like when you switched from clean to mean, there was a brief immediate 'high gain howl/noise' before you started playing at 1:39. How noisy is this and at what point on the gain dial on Rhythm and Lead channels: 12, 2, 3, 5:00?

How well does it do crunch tones, ala basic rock like AC/DC, Kravitz, Black Crowes, Joan Jett, etc.?

Thanks for posting the clips and answering these when you get a chance.

This is great. My buddy and I are looking hard at this setup. Need some details. Where you on Rhythm and Lead? Settings, ala where were the mids, gain level, etc?

I feel like when you switched from clean to mean, there was a brief immediate 'high gain howl/noise' before you started playing at 1:39. How noisy is this and at what point on the gain dial on Rhythm and Lead channels: 12, 2, 3, 5:00?

How well does it do crunch tones, ala basic rock like AC/DC, Kravitz, Black Crowes, Joan Jett, etc.?

Thanks for posting the clips and answering these when you get a chance.
So I started out on channel 2 and I think that's pretty much where I lived in this clip, I went to the clean briefly...

Clean tone knobs was around 1 oclock and volume like 2 o'clock

Rhythm gain was like 1 o'clock with bright switch on , bass cranked, mid 11 o'clock , treble 1 o'clock, tight switch down , gain switch on 4 gain stage setting ...

Noise seems manageable I had the thing LOUD in that clip with no gate at all. It has a ton of gain if you want it, I don't use as much as most people....

I think it would do crunch stuff great , put it on 3 gain stage mode and use the bright switch and your there all day....

Hope that helps!

Nick

Last edited:
So I started out on channel 2 and I think that's pretty much where I lived in this clip, I went to the clean briefly...

Clean tone knobs was around 1 oclock and volume like 2 o'clock

Rhythm gain was like 1 o'clock with bright switch on , bass cranked, mid 11 o'clock , treble 1 o'clock, tight switch down , gain switch on 4 gain stage setting ...

Noise seems manageable I had the thing LOUD in that clip with no gate at all. It has a ton of gain if you want it, I don't use as much as most people....

I think it would crunch stuff great , put it on 3 gain stage mode and use thr bright seitch and your there all day....

Hope that helps!

Nick
Yes, very helpful, and thanks for taking the time to reply with that detail, brother. Cheers.

Yes, very helpful, and thanks for taking the time to reply with that detail, brother. Cheers.
No problem ! I would say the Rhythm 1 vs 2 , Rhythm 1 is more modded marshall , tighter, little crisper , pissed off , 2 is smoother, more fluid , a little looser... both are great, the clean is high headroom and very good to

Last edited:
yup thats a nice combination. I love mine so much I'm toying with selling my beloved mark iv
I grabbed the ceres and my boss ms3 threw those in my gig bag and carried the pa50 for rehearsal last night. I have my cab at the space already , it was super easy and sounded killing...

It fits in one of my tiny pelican travel cases perfect , or it would fit perfect in a berhinger xr18 or midas mr18 gator bag nicely as well with some room for a few things...

Its a Good time to be a guitar player!

Nick

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210317-154308_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210317-154308_Photos.jpg
    630 KB · Views: 130
How do you like the Eros pedal?
I had serial number 3 of the Eros but I got the Deadweald duality a few days before I got the Eros and it kinda killed my need for other boosts so I sold it.

I'm thinking about getting another one though. I didnt spend a whole lot of time with it but I would like to try it again. I didnt experiment enough with the EQ part of it

The PA50 really looks cool. I was considering getting one (or two) to run a stereo pedalboard into a stereo cab (or two).

Did you get 6L6 or EL34? If you were gonna run 2 as mentioned above would rather 2 6L6 PA50’s or one of each or 2 EL34’s? Thanks

The PA50 really looks cool. I was considering getting one (or two) to run a stereo pedalboard into a stereo cab (or two).

Did you get 6L6 or EL34? If you were gonna run 2 as mentioned above would rather 2 6L6 PA50’s or one of each or 2 EL34’s? Thanks
I prefer EL34's and got my PA50 with them but if you want to get a little closer to the standard KSR tone for the Orthos/Ares get 6l6's. Either way the differences arent going to be night and day

Forgot to ask this yesterday. Do you find the Ceres/PA50 super tight or does it have some bounce, a little give, in the feel? I've asked this from several KSR owners and seems mixed, but we do define things differently.

For example, when playing lead, doing a single note bend and hold, does it "sing" or sustain a bit, or does it 'clamp out' pretty quick?

Thx.

Back