NAD: Hiwatt Super-Hi 50

  • Thread starter Thread starter Soundstorm
  • Start date Start date
Quick first impressions: I fucking love this thing. I originally bought a Diezel Paul and this Hiwatt to compare and likely return one of them. Well, the Paul was damaged in shipping, but was still functional. But for my purposes, which is low tuned baritone sludgy metal, the Hiwatt made quick work of the Paul. I've owned a number of Diezels now, with the exception of the Herbert, and I think they all tend to get stuffy in the preamp pretty quick if you have a low tuned high output guitar. The obvious solution to this is boosting, but I'm looking for something that could handle this kind of style without *needing* a boost.

That's where the Super-Hi comes in, which was specifically co-designed by Fortin for extended range guitars. So I can actually have a great tone without needing to sculpt it before the amp. It's not super dry or tight, not oversaturated, but right in the sweet spot. In the regular 3 gain stage mode it can pull off some really convincing early Marshall tones to my ear. With the four gain stage mode engaged the sound is beefy, clear, with great percussiveness and string separation. I'm very curious to know how the custom shop handwired version compares. But overall I'm very happy with this one, definitely a keeper. I took some gut shots for you guys and will likely post some clips soon. Btw, the first thing I did was get rid of the stock Psvane preamp tubes for a Tung Sol in V1, and a NOS Brimar in V2. Increased gain and feel pretty dramatically. Let me know what you guys think and if anyone else has given one of these a shot. This is the Chinese made PCB version, but as long as it proves to be reliable I'll be very happy with my purchase.
The Psvane tubes I have tried sounded like they captured the essence of a fart in a tube.
 
Sounds good. Man, I just don't know if I can plunk down that kind of cash for made in China. One dealer told me they were assembled in UK due to tariffs, but i think he was fibbing. I could be wrong. But I've seen a few demos, and these do sound good.

I'd prefer to get the Mod Shop Bad Cat Hot Cat 50 for around the same price.

I could do alot with $2200.
 
Sounds good, pretty big sound stage on snlues clip, love me some LOG 🙂, although still a good amount of money.
 
Sounds good, pretty big sound stage on snlues clip, love me some LOG 🙂, although still a good amount of money.
I think that clip was the Custom Shop high dollar model, but the production model still sounds great. Fortin's Randalls sound good too, but Randall went absolutely insane with their prices, also Chinese. The Thrasher is a great sounding amp, but this Hiwatt has the low end thump that the Trashers lack. You needed an EQ in the loop of the Randalls to get the low end up to snuff.
 
i dont know if they have anything in common, but i been kinda jonesin' for the little 5w after hearing this. it has a loop too i could throw an eq in


That was a Fortin collaboration as well. I've seen them for $399. They do sound good!
 
Quick first impressions: I fucking love this thing. I originally bought a Diezel Paul and this Hiwatt to compare and likely return one of them. Well, the Paul was damaged in shipping, but was still functional. But for my purposes, which is low tuned baritone sludgy metal, the Hiwatt made quick work of the Paul. I've owned a number of Diezels now, with the exception of the Herbert, and I think they all tend to get stuffy in the preamp pretty quick if you have a low tuned high output guitar. The obvious solution to this is boosting, but I'm looking for something that could handle this kind of style without *needing* a boost.

That's where the Super-Hi comes in, which was specifically co-designed by Fortin for extended range guitars. So I can actually have a great tone without needing to sculpt it before the amp. It's not super dry or tight, not oversaturated, but right in the sweet spot. In the regular 3 gain stage mode it can pull off some really convincing early Marshall tones to my ear. With the four gain stage mode engaged the sound is beefy, clear, with great percussiveness and string separation. I'm very curious to know how the custom shop handwired version compares. But overall I'm very happy with this one, definitely a keeper. I took some gut shots for you guys and will likely post some clips soon. Btw, the first thing I did was get rid of the stock Psvane preamp tubes for a Tung Sol in V1, and a NOS Brimar in V2. Increased gain and feel pretty dramatically. Let me know what you guys think and if anyone else has given one of these a shot. This is the Chinese made PCB version, but as long as it proves to be reliable I'll be very happy with my purchase.
Always wondered how the two versions compare!!!
 
Riff noodling. ESP E-II Viper baritone with EMG 81/60. No boost, Super Hi mode on, gain at about 3 o'clock. Retubed the preamp- V1: Tung Sol RI V2: Chinese 12ax7b V3: Amperex Bugle Boy V4: TAD High Grade 7025


Sounds awesome!!!!
 
Riff noodling. ESP E-II Viper baritone with EMG 81/60. No boost, Super Hi mode on, gain at about 3 o'clock. Retubed the preamp- V1: Tung Sol RI V2: Chinese 12ax7b V3: Amperex Bugle Boy V4: TAD High Grade 7025


Yikes, that's nasty! How's it do in standard tunings?
 
This video popped up and it features both Hiwatt models.
That Pedalsmith model is very interesting and sounded incredible.
Unfortunately, it’s an Andertons video. While Danish Pete is a great player, unfortunately the anus aka “The Captain” is talking. So, zero useful info, while he looks at his phone, looking at a manual he should have looked at before they started filming.
Despite this fool, the tones were quite good and I’m impressed.

 
This video popped up and it features both Hiwatt models.
That Pedalsmith model is very interesting and sounded incredible.
Unfortunately, it’s an Andertons video. While Danish Pete is a great player, unfortunately the anus aka “The Captain” is talking. So, zero useful info, while he looks at his phone, looking at a manual he should have looked at before they started filming.
Despite this fool, the tones were quite good and I’m impressed.


I wonder why they didn't use one of the "CHI-WATT" cabs with this demo?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top