Narrowing down amp choices for 80s-style Metal.

Which amp should I buy?

• Laney Ironheart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENGL Screamer 50

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hey all.
So I'm looking to save for a new amplifier to use both for gigging and recording. My band, Treazon, is traditional Heavy/Speed Metal; so that's the type of music I'll be playing. I'm trying to find something preferably around $600 USD (or less) used. I've own and sold a lot of amps due to my financial situation not being so great in the past. My main head is a Crate Stealth 50, which definitely nails a mid-to-late 80s Melodic Metal tone. But the problem is the amp is too unreliable to take on the road.

I have a few particular amps in mind, and ultimately I'm still going to choose what I want. But I'm open to hearing suggestions and other people's experience with these amps. I'm fine with a high-gain amp as it's definitely easier for playing live, but I also really like using an OD in front of a more vintage amp.
My top 3 choices are Laney Ironheart, Laney LA30BL, or an ENGL Screamer 50. I've played both the ENGL and Ironheart at different guitar stores, so I know I like those.
I'd consider different Peavey models, as I've had 2 Peavey amps, which I both liked; but the prices on Peavey stuff have really gone up in the past few years.

For a bit further context, I live in Kentucky (and not near Louisville or Lexington) so the used amp market isn't exactly amazing. Marshalls and the like are always almost listed for brand new prices.

By nearby I can go to either the Nashville or Louisville GC, which are both a little over an hour away. I'm thinking of ordering through GC's website.
Reason I ask is the ease of return ....but an hour away is rough ....
Any way .... I would look for a Peavey JSX .... I see them on GC used section all the time for around 600 to 700

Any way .... I would look for a Peavey JSX .... I see them on GC used section all the time for around 600 to 700
Good idea. Any experience with a Peavey Penta? That's one that seems like it'd be up my alley but I always hear really conflicting opinions on it.
I didn't mention it in the OP cause "high-gain plexi under $1k" isn't exactly do-able these days, but I really like Plexi tones. Like old YJM, John Norum, Blackmore's live tone, Uli Jon Roth, etc. 2 of my main guitars are Strats.

Please go try the 5150 Iconic and give it a real shot (just don't mess with the burn button)
Listening to latest Tone Talk, Jason Hook said his 5150 "red" (I think it was red side) was too much gain for him.
That seems pretty metal to me.

For Marshall tones, which I kind of associate with 80ies metal, you could try to find a DSL, which is a quite overlooked amp. Earlier ones had problems with bias drift, that was fixed in later models

Laney GH50L.
I was thinking of this one as well. Only con is it's not as readily available as the Ironheart amps are.
Why? They’re solid amps
I could be hearing "misinformation" so to speak, but I've heard they aren't reliable QC-wise. Since my only issue with my Crate is that it can be unreliable due to crappy soldering, I don't really want to get another amp I might have issues with.
For Marshall tones, which I kind of associate with 80ies metal, you could try to find a DSL, which is a quite overlooked amp. Earlier ones had problems with bias drift, that was fixed in later models
Are the current-era of 50 watt DSLs fine?

JSX for the win!!! Those amps kill. I'm selling off my Triple X head and some other gear to get a JSX head or 2x12 combo. I ignored those amps until I did a YouTube search on them recently. Turns out it's what I've been looking for. Go figure. LOL

Last edited:
Back