NCD: Peavey 6505 4x12

Picked this up a week or two ago from Guitar Center, used. After shipping and tax it was ~$370. US made cab, Celestion Vintage 30's. No nicks or dings. Pretty good deal, IMO. Would have been even better if it was already at the local GC so I could have saved on shipping. I did have them pull the back off before I brought it home to make sure it still had the V30's, making sure someone hadn't swapped in some cheap speakers. All was good.

I'm running my Orange CR60c through it for now. Sounds great with that amp. The stock Orange Voice of the World speaker I liked early on, but after the honey moon phase wore off with the amp there was this weird thing in the mids I could never dial out. Running a TS Mini as a boost helped, but the speakers ultimately took care of the problem.

Once I pick up a head for this cab, I'm going to need to also pickup a V30 to throw in the Orange combo.

Originally I was looking for a used/mint Recto vertical 2x12 cab, but wasn't having much luck finding a good deal for one and this was hard to pass up for the price.
1623353738185.png

Picked this up a week or two ago from Guitar Center, used. After shipping and tax it was ~$370. US made cab, Celestion Vintage 30's. No nicks or dings. Pretty good deal, IMO. Would have been even better if it was already at the local GC so I could have saved on shipping. I did have them pull the back off before I brought it home to make sure it still had the V30's, making sure someone hadn't swapped in some cheap speakers. All was good.

I'm running my Orange CR60c through it for now. Sounds great with that amp. The stock Orange Voice of the World speaker I liked early on, but after the honey moon phase wore off with the amp there was this weird thing in the mids I could never dial out. Running a TS Mini as a boost helped, but the speakers ultimately took care of the problem.

Once I pick up a head for this cab, I'm going to need to also pickup a V30 to throw in the Orange combo.

Originally I was looking for a used/mint Recto vertical 2x12 cab, but wasn't having much luck finding a good deal for one and this was hard to pass up for the price.
View attachment 80980
Very nice. Good choice on having them check the speakers. I recently got an MS412 from GC with the K85s and low and behold 2 of the speakers were swapped and they were garbage.

Still may keep the cab however and swap speakers myself. Pretty decent deals on GC Peavey cabs.

Cool man. I didn't know those had V30s.
Yeah, I didn't at first. I assumed they were probably loaded with Peavey Sheffield's like the old 5150 cabs.

Very nice. Good choice on having them check the speakers. I recently got an MS412 from GC with the K85s and low and behold 2 of the speakers were swapped and they were garbage.

Still may keep the cab however and swap speakers myself. Pretty decent deals on GC Peavey cabs.
That's a bummer! Definitely always worth verifying before you leave. They also would rather check before you leave too I'm sure... instead of having to deal with an angry customer who just hauled off a 4x12 they have to return -OR- having a customer who brought it home to swap out the speakers for something cheap and then return it.

The 6505 cab I had was solid. Was loaded with the Sheffield's.
Interesting. I just looked and did find some 6505 cabs with Sheffields. Those cabs are rated at 300-watts and don't have the white piping around the baffle. The ones on the Peavey website have white piping, 240-watt rating with the V30's.

Did yours have white piping? That could possibly be one identifier for those shopping the used market.

Interesting. I just looked and did find some 6505 cabs with Sheffields. Those cabs are rated at 300-watts and don't have the white piping around the baffle. The ones on the Peavey website have white piping, 240-watt rating with the V30's.

Did yours have white piping? That could possibly be one identifier for those shopping the used market.

I will have to look back at some pics from when I had it. The white piping is not jumping out in my memory though.

These are killer cabs. Highly underrated. Congrats on the score! You got a killer deal. I see them for $500-$600 all over the Philly area.

Ive probably bought 15 of those cabs of gc's website over the last 10 years. At least 3 of them had the speakers swapped for trash. Seems a common thing to do. Also had it happen with a mesa os cab. They do so little inspection on intake of their used gear

Didn’t that commie Tom Morello use one of those cabs on the first rage album?

Back