Neck pup for Dinarzio Super3

MYLILSS

Ok so I have a super 3 bridge pup from Dimarzio. What is a good neck pickup to pair with it ? I don’t like mixing brands so I’d like to stay with Dimarzio, but I’m not normally one to use this brand so I’m not very familiar with their offerings. Yes I know they have descriptions on the site lol, but I’m talking real world actual use.

Humbucker From Hell is one of my all time favorite neck pickups, works great. The Super 2 is a great neck pickup too. Deactivator Neck is good as well, but I’d really recommend to try the Humbucker From Hell.

Well, what a good pairing is to begin with can be a tricky question. Some guys want a huge difference to cover more bases, some feel that versatility is having basically the same tone and output in all positions.

If we´re talking Dimarzio neck humbuckers in general, I have used and enjoyed the PAF Pro, the PAF 59 (which is the latest of various "true vintage" offerings) and the Air Norton. But the only guitar I´ve had a Super 3 in has a HSS layout so it´s not really apples to apples.

I would go with the Super 2. Or the D-Activator.

I'd be afraid the Super 3 would greatly overpower all the PAF options suggested as well as the HBFH.

The Super 3 I had sounded really thick and mid heavy. I’d look for a neck pickup that is similar.

That’s a tough one to pair.

I’ve used the Super3 in bridge with a Super 2 in the neck in a PRS CE24. As a matter of luck, I used that combo in this review.

Fast forward to about 55 secs into the video:

Thanks for the info fellas ! The super 3 seems to be a hard one to pair a good neck pup with, because it seems to overpower the traditional choices, which is why I ask. That super 2 might be the way to go for me … I’ll check all these options out. Thanks !

I have a paf 36th ann in neck of alder strat with regular super distortion in bridge. No loss in power switching and i cant be happier (though would like to try paf pro in neck just to compare). I have a direct mounted air norton in the neck of an all mahogany guitar and dont like it as much as the paf. Apples and oranges though

Thanks for the info fellas ! The super 3 seems to be a hard one to pair a good neck pup with, because it seems to overpower the traditional choices, which is why I ask. That super 2 might be the way to go for me … I’ll check all these options out. Thanks !

A friend of mine has a Chubtone with a Super 3 in the bridge and a Paf Pro in the neck. Sounds bloody good and the Super 3 doesn't overpower the Paf Pro at all.

I'm agree with Gitfiddler and NaturalBornBoy, for my experience I would put in a Paf Pro or a PAF36th!

Go for the PAF Pro, it’s got the same black pole pieces as the Super 3 so they match! Should also hang better with it than the regular PAF.
I did not like the Humbucker from Hell, it’s kind of glassy, bright, thin, and sterile.

Go for the PAF Pro, it’s got the same black pole pieces as the Super 3 so they match! Should also hang better with it than the regular PAF.
I did not like the Humbucker from Hell, it’s kind of glassy, bright, thin, and sterile.
Sorry, late reply, but I just now saw this. My super 3 actually has chrome pole pieces. I ordered some and swapped them out so it would look a little more traditional lol. The PAF pro will get chrome poles too unless they offer it that way

Back