Need an acoustic

Jdguitar

I have some gigs coming up that are going to require an acoustic guitar. I've been googling them for hours and really don't know what to get. I am looking for something that has a cutaway and good electronics in it. I figure I'm ok with spending in the $2000 range...give or take. Thanks.

I bought a Taylor 416CE and love it. Sounds great acoustically and plugged-in. Great build quality. Plays very well. Liked it so much I bought a Taylor 456CE as a companion :D

Lots of choices in that price range, though. Taylor, Martin, Breedlove, Gibson, etc.

Like others have said, pretty good selection in that price range. Probably the best thing to do is go to a store with a good inventory of acoustics and try every one there, regardless of price.

Snowblind56":i7yb307m said:
Like others have said, pretty good selection in that price range. Probably the best thing to do is go to a store with a good inventory of acoustics and try every one there, regardless of price.
The "regardless of price" comment is a good suggestion. I've played a few of the Epiphone Masterbilt series acoustics and was really surprised at how good they were - especially at that price range. If you're not hung up on the name on the headstock, you might be able to find a real bargain...

We have a nice selection of Taylors in stock right now as well as some used Guild, Gibson and Martin acoustic flattops. New Taylors starting at $799. PM me if interested in discussing.

Cheers
Brad

Larrivee is my personal favorite, I've owned 2. I've gigged with Larrivee, Martin, Taylor, Alvarez. I use a Taylor right now and IMO it's the best bang for your buck. Great sound at good prices. And if you want to spend more their high end gear is even better.

I love my Martin D-18. I got it for well under $2K. It sounds phenomenal and I like its basic, no frills look...

Steve

King Guitar":1r3qjc0g said:
We have a nice selection of Taylors in stock right now as well as some used Guild, Gibson and Martin acoustic flattops. New Taylors starting at $799. PM me if interested in discussing.

Cheers
Brad

I'd like to send some business your way but I just don't think I could buy an acoustic guitar without playing it first.

I've had a chance to play some Taylor's and Larrivee's this week. So far I'm leaning towards the Taylor's. Both were top notch quality and played awesome but the Taylor's sound seems more lively to me which I liked. I do have a Martin D-28 that I love and it's hard when I keep comparing what I test drive to it. If my Martin was a cutaway and had good electronics in it then I wouldn't even be shopping. I'm going to check some Takamines in the neck couple of days. How do they rate these days?

The Japanese ones are awesome...I had the ef341c and it was phenomenal but I wanted a concert body for the comfort...the new taylor 214ce deluxe is my next acoustic..made in Mexico but they are fantastic...

If you get a Taylor make sure you keep it humidified REALLY WELL. Mine split right down the middle only a few months after purchase and that's with constant and proper in-case humidifiers.
I got it fixed but have doubled up on humidification since. Have been told by the luthier at the shop that fixed it that they get them often and due to construction and how thin the tops are, they are prone to splitting.

I'm a fan of Martin. Personally own a D35. Depending on your taste in acoustic tones, the D28 is another great choice. I've noticed that, like Les Pauls, they aren't all created equal. Try them out, find a good one.

Have a Martin DC16GTE and for the $$ is a great acoustic electric. Big bold and doesn't compress too much at all with the Mahogany body has pretty good full bodied sound. Around $1700

Takamine really knows how to make a good acoustic preamp!!! A few years ago I spent two months shopping for an acoustic. It boiled down to the Taylor 814ce, and Takamine TAN16C.

On paper these instruments shouldnt be compared. The Taylor outclasses this Tak in almost everyway. The Taylor was more comfortable to play, had a more 3D sound when played unplugged, and was a better quality build all around.

But, When compared through a PA, and this would be my primary use for the guitar, The Takamine blew the taylor away. I was not impressed with the Expression system on the Taylor. It was boomy and this sounding. The Tak sound rich and full. It sounds like a mic'd up acoustic.

Check out a few Takamine's. There are plenty in your price range.

BTW, my Tak was $1500 less then the Taylor...

rcm78":2oux7y6w said:
Takamine really knows how to make a good acoustic preamp!!! A few years ago I spent two months shopping for an acoustic. It boiled down to the Taylor 814ce, and Takamine TAN16C.

On paper these instruments shouldnt be compared. The Taylor outclasses this Tak in almost everyway. The Taylor was more comfortable to play, had a more 3D sound when played unplugged, and was a better quality build all around.

But, When compared through a PA, and this would be my primary use for the guitar, The Takamine blew the taylor away. I was not impressed with the Expression system on the Taylor. It was boomy and this sounding. The Tak sound rich and full. It sounds like a mic'd up acoustic.

Check out a few Takamine's. There are plenty in your price range.

BTW, my Tak was $1500 less then the Taylor...

Thanks. My primary use for this guitar will be plugged in through a PA....that's where I will need to sound great. As I already mentioned, I have a Martin D28 that absolutely sounds amazing. I thought about doing some research on a sound hole pickup for it but decided I also could use a cutaway. So basically my D28 will be my unplugged guitar and whatever I buy will be my plugged in acoustic.

I didn't realize Taylor's are prone to splitting. That scares me. Although I did see one in a Long & McQuade that had split and been repaired.

My search continues. I went back and played some Taylors for about an hour and the more I played them, the more I distanced my self from owning one. It was like the brighter tone seemed to grate on me. I kept going back to a Gibson acoustic they had that sounded better to me plugged in and unplugged. The problem now is that they only had one Gibson and I'd like to try more. I also could find any higher end Takamines to try. I also want to try some Guilds but the dealer didn't have much stock and said Guild had been sold and he wasn't sure what was going on with them.

Back