Need new pickups for my old RG570

Dreamspace

Decided I want to swap out the muddy V pickups.

For Neck, I want something smooth and Yngwie like. I know a single coil would have done this, but it's a HSH guitar...

I'm thinking maybe Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell, Bluesbucker or something like that?

For Bridge, I want a Fat, but articulate sounding pickup. Not muddy, but yet fat.
Dimarzio Evo? SD Custom ? Custom Custom?

Any ideas?

Tone zone in the bridge(fat and clear) and a Humbucker from hell or a bluesbucker in the neck
(good yngwie type tones from either of these two in the neck,very single coil sounding but fatter and hotter) and the TZ, HFH and Bluesbucker all split real good. :thumbsup:
for the middle you can leave the stock single or a get a HS-2 which is what i would do ;)

I have a dimarzio transition and a reverse wound sd or true velvet reverse wound Ill sell
That's all I use for the middle of hsh guitars gives a much better quack in 2/4

I have never tried them but I have heard the tone zones sound great in them. I have an Ibanez 540P which has an alder body and have always used either a super D or a X2N

Tone Zone for the bridge, maybe Air Norton for the neck. Yngwie's tone isn't exactly a traditional single coil, but the Air Norton splits well and sounds very single-coil like in parallel. Generally the Air Norton is a darker, smooth pickup which might work for you.

I agree with the the recommendations for an Air Norton in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge however, the Transition pups in my Luke III kick @$$ too. Very clear sounding. I would go with either of those choices.

My USA Custom has very similar specs. I disagree with the Tone Zone, though I have a 570 with one in it. It's just too scooped, so when you roll back the volume to clean it up, it ends up being too dark sounding. I think that the Dimarzio Super Distortion is still the best pickup out there for articulation, without scooping too much away. It's hot, but not over powering. It does Van Halen, Ratt, Dokken spot on, but can also be brutal, and can be rolled back to get a nice break up sound.

For the neck, the Hum From Hell or a hum sized P90 would be your best bets for most strat like sounds. The air nortons are great for the Satriani, Vai, Petrucci (old) neck lead sound, which is thicker (darker), articulate sound. They sound great, but aren't exactly what you're looking for.

I've got numerous Ibanez guitars and I love Dimarzio's, so I've tried quite a few different combo's, typically chasing Vai, Petrucci and Gilbert.

How heavy is the guitar? My favorite 570 (1987) is on the heavier side and does not mesh at all with the TZ - just sounds muddy, I've got a Suhr Aldrich in there now and it's perfect. I have a couple other, lighter RG's that did pretty well with that same pickup though.

cardinal":clz2nca5 said:
Tone Zone for the bridge, maybe Air Norton for the neck. Yngwie's tone isn't exactly a traditional single coil, but the Air Norton splits well and sounds very single-coil like in parallel. Generally the Air Norton is a darker, smooth pickup which might work for you.
:rock:
I've made this swap more than once, those pickups sound great in a basswood RG

+1 on the dims, they work well IMO with the basswood rg's. I also happened upon a great combination on accident. I bought a set of bareknuckle miracle man for a mahogany super strat, and didn't care for them at all with that guitar. I had then out ready to sell, an decided to try them in an RG body I had refinished. I did it just to really see how the zebra looked, but they ended up sounding fantastic in my 570. They've been in ever since.

EE9A01FE-97F4-4C0E-8351-32A4EED619A1.jpg

for the bridge i would look at a custom 5. depending on the woods, i have found it to be an absolute monster with an alder body and maple neck.

Back