New Charvels

I've been debating on getting the recent ash charcoal San Dimas or the Jackson DK2 version. They are essentially the same guitar except for the 24 frets and pointy head on the Jackson.

Interesting they now have an ash charcoal Charvel with 24 frets and dinky body so now it's down to the headstock :) I feel more like pointy heads these days..

It's like a budget Guthrie Govan sig. Been waiting for them to do this. I'd like to get one unfinished and have it paint. Not really digging the finishes in the HSH.

PRS":2tu88exd said:
http://www.charvel.com/

That primer grey one will be mine. :thumbsup:

http://www.charvel.com/guitars/pro-mod_ ... imer-gray/
Played it today at NAMM.

I'm not a fan of maple boards but that roasted maple neck is the best feeling maple neck I've played. It also feels alot better than any of the necks on any of the DK series I played. Heel joint has been refined as well.

I specifically went to the booth to check out the DK24 Okoume as I'm looking for something old school yet modern with a Floyd and that had really caught my eye. My issue is I don't like humbuckers in the neck position of strat based guitars. Saw those and was instantly intrigued.

The Okoume was a nice guitar but the primer gray was the best playing one hands down. Just my opinion though.

Charvel rep also stated they have some cool things in the works for next year as well - sounded like more variants, more ebony boards and more H/S and H/S/S guitars.

Love my DK24’s. I have a couple Jackson SL2s as well, and the necks on all of these are great. I have no reservations buying the MIM/MII J/C stuff ata all any more. QC is pretty solid.

I think they look quite nice for the most part.. still would love them to get some more ebony fretboards in there for the win!

This is really, really, nitpicky but I just can't get used to maple fingerboards that aren't a one-piece neck. Even on roasted, I don't like a maple slab on a maple back. I'd far prefer either a one-piece maple (like my MIJ So Cal) or a rosewood/pau ferro/ebony board if it's got to be a slab. Gimme dat skunk stripe!

Kapo_Polenton":1qm07gj2 said:
I think they look quite nice for the most part.. still would love them to get some more ebony fretboards in there for the win!
59Bassman":1qm07gj2 said:
or a rosewood/pau ferro/ebony board if it's got to be a slab. Gimme dat skunk stripe!
Yes. It's not really a playing thing to me, as much as a look and (self convinced) tone thing.

That said; this guitar's hitting on several things for me next purchase: shredder guitar.

1. Trem, although I hope I'm able to trem stop this for drop D
2. No locking nut
3. Locking tuners
4. Six inline, standard side tuners
5. PUP's config
6. Spoke truss wheel
7. Direct mount PUP's
8. No pickguard

Likely puts my EVH Wolfgang wants to bed. Yep...if Sweetwater had them in stock the orange fiddle would be mine. :rock:

Back