New Christmas Sh!t Day . . . (pic heavy feel free to put yours here too)

311splawndude

(pic heavy warning)

Whatcha Get for Christmas?

Feel free to post your stuff here :cheers:

Here is some stuff I got. No big amps or guitars as I'm kind of set there for the moment. Some of this is actually carry over as I had about $500 in Guitar Center Gift Cards from last year. Couldn't really decide how to spend it so I got some tubes and pedals and Zoom Q2n4K for in-room recording.

So to kick this off as some may know was I looking for a better, faster way to record. I'm not really good enough yet for my old set up which was time consuming to set up (Shure57 >Line 6 UX > Pod Farm > Audacity > Lamecodec) and decided In-Room was the way to go. I created this thread below and then decided to get the Zoom Q2n4K. Thanks for the help in there guys :cheers:

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/whats-everyone-using-for-in-room-recordings.214026/
Zoom Q2n4K recorder
4V0581ul.jpg

I6IylXYl.jpg

I5YoYGzl.jpg

Nx1jXabl.jpg

What I like about this most is its simplicity. It only takes the press of 2 buttons to record. For loud guitars, the best setting I found is 1080-24k cinema with 'Auto' mic gain where you manually set the input gain using the Gain Wheel (dial - for me it is at 3/10). It has USB for power and file transfer and a micro HDMI port. It also has a headphone jack for simultaneous monitoring and a 1/8" jack that I'm hoping I can attach Shure SM57 via TRS-1/8" cable. Have not tried that yet. Thanks to all that contributed in that thread.

Next up is that Maddnotez gave me a pretty good deal on 3 pedals he had for sale at about the same time. An MXR 10b EQ, a Boss NS2 noise suppressor and a Suhr Koko Boost. I don't need to review or explain the EQ or the NS2 but needless to say they are hella fun. Both in the loop of my Rectoverb. The Koko boost is really interesting. It is actually 2 boosts in 1 pedal. There is a clean boost which is very clean and a Mid boost that is VERY middy :D If you open up the pedal you can change it between True Bypass or Buffered, which is a great feature. There is also a Mid Frequency switch that can further tailor the Mid Boost between Low/Reg/High mid bump. The only confusing part which I still struggle a bit with is how these 2 sides of the boost interact with each other. The user manual says: "Boost mode is active when Mid Boost is engaged". Anyway, great transaction with Maddnotez and 3 great additions to my pedal board. Pedalboard was tight on space as it was but for now, the Bad Monkey OD and Big Muff Russian fuzz and Fish n Chips 6b EQ came off. Bad Monkey is still a great pedal so it may get worked back in.

68RppOfl.jpg

GGKGfFfl.jpg

TeQO4DQl.jpg

Now onto the Guitar Center Gift Card fiasco. I had like 4 - $100 gift cards and each one had a $25 bonus card. I got these last year for xmas. What I didn't realize was that the $25 cards were only good for 1 month. WTF? They expired Jan 31 2020. I could barely see that fine print but still my fault, I should have looked over the cards a bit better. I took these cards up to GC along with my Fish n Chips EQ, a MXR Zakk OD, my old modded Cry Baby and the Big Muff. The Fish Chips was broken to the point where the casing didn't stay together without the oversized velcro I had holding it together. LOL. They took that in for trade. They wouldn't take the Cry Baby because it was modded nor the Big Muff because I couldn't get the battery door off? When they shot me a price for the Zakk OD a dude next to me in line offered $10 more so we did that in cash on the side. They made us go outside to do that :)

But this gift card thing was a bust basically so I left very frustrated. I get home and call the GC Customer Support line and explained my view of everything and the dude on the line from Salt Lake went ahead and honored all of my cards so I was back up to $500 :) So now I'm going to spend my money with him instead of local store. I bought some Mullard Reissue EL34 which should be here any day. Some Svetlana and JJ 12AX7s. The Zoom G2n4K and some accessories. And that VHT Tube Tester (on a whim). I should have known better based on the price that the VHT 'Tube Tester' is just a big glorified analog amperes meter. It has the octal probes but for $150 it seems more like a novelty. It actually says in the user manual that for really accurate readings you should hook up a digital meter :LOL:

So I took that and returned it to my local GC and ended up picking up a used MXR Chorus, used MXR '78 Distortion pedal, and a Cry Baby Slash wah. On the '78 Disti it was miss marked but I made them honor the incorrect price :D In one of the videos below I have everything on the Chorus turned up but it can def be dialed back to make it more subtle :LOL: The '78 Disiti is really growing on me - especially through a clean channel. In the video below I set everything at noon on the clean channel of my Rectoverb. Lastly, the thing I like about the Slash wah over my other Cry Baby is that the sweep is more in line with what I like and there is a blue LED on both sides of the pedal which is nice. In the video I'm using my left foot which was awkward because the G2 was centered right in front.

kIfEvzul.jpg

ZJ3xchel.jpg

Cah3Qail.jpg

8U9TTH3l.jpg

Thanks for reading all of that (if you actually did :LOL:) or at least pursuing :D

Any stories or gifts etc from you?

Last edited:
I got some new cowboy boots! ??

I've got a few hundred in Amazon GC. Not the best place to shop for gear but... I can pick up a 10 band I'd like to have. I'd like to swap out the block to brass on my 5150 series axe. And maybe some other small stuff.

Good to hear GC made you whole 311... even if you had to raise a little hell.

Happy New Year!

Wow, you were a good boy this last year! Nice!

My Ditto x2 Looper is still in the mail vortex. :doh:
Thanks man. You know, one of these days I will get around to figuring out how to use my Boss Loop Station as right now it is just taking up space and power :LOL: I also got that used at GC some years ago.

I got some new cowboy boots! ??

I've got a few hundred in Amazon GC. Not the best place to shop for gear but... I can pick up a 10 band I'd like to have. I'd like to swap out the block to brass on my 5150 series axe. And maybe some other small stuff.

Good to hear GC made you whole 311... even if you had to raise a little hell.

Happy New Year!
I need some new boots too :D Make sure you post that axe after the upgrade :yes: GC's Cust Serv is so much better on the phone. I used to really enjoy going to my local store but not any more. Their loud room is also now almost completely devoid of anything cool.

I just order this Avatar 1x12, the Forte 3D cab, to put a Redback in. I’m hoping it’ll be a great grab-n-go cab that sounds fairly big.
https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/guitar/forte-112/
Interesting cab for sure. Avatar was my first cab. A 212 Traditional. Dave there was awesome to deal with :cheers:

5820962F-BB90-476A-854E-C1F0490CDC54.jpeg
AD82B4F3-8C5A-4D4A-9CB8-256E205DE87D.jpeg
1D0B3D73-1F7A-4FDE-AD62-50B1A133D67C.jpeg
7836E232-3D83-403E-AF64-A5171E0820C9.jpeg

Was working out of town for a couple months and pieced this together while I was gone. Put it (sort of) together day after Christmas. Board is fluid atm as I have a ton of stuff here and I’m just trying things out.

Orange was a serious GAS issue; I got into an accident in May and I separated my left shoulder. Means I can’t as of yet play as fast as I used to nor as long. Buddy of mine turned me onto that old NOLA shit; Down, Crowbar, Eyehategod, Acid Bath and that type of shit.

I’d played the DD before and knew it could thrash, but I wanted something that could do those tones on its own, so there you go.

Suhr because I live in an apt in UT most of the year and don’t have the space for cabs.

Fuzzes were a fun experiment, the Korg, EQD and Carbon Copy were Christmas presents from my daughter and they’re all a good time. I don’t require much from a boost and the EQD just works great.

Orange ch B and my ESP Viper = instant Acid Bath tones

Orange, Plumes and my GT LP with PRS McCarty pickups is serious thrash tones for days.

Digging this setup, but I’ve also got a Herbert incoming, see what that’s like.

I got a new zoom Q2N4K as well! Got it to use for our rehearsals and live gigs (whenever those happen again). Great little cam! I picked up a case for it and the clip to clamp it to the mic stand.

I'm in love with this thing ??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210102-163654_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210102-163654_Instagram.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 43
Back