New Fryette PS100 redplating

CEG85

As the title says.....
Bought a brand new PS-100, plug it in, and right tube starts redplating.
First thing I did was contact support@Fryette.
Got a response requesting I remove the top cover and take a picture.
(I'm assuming they want to send me matching replacement tubes since the plate current is written on the label)
No problem, Sent them a picture, and haven't heard anything for going on 2 weeks now.
Even sent an email last week requesting an update, and haven't heard anything back.

I like Fryette products, even own a PL-IR, but communication leaves something to be desired.
Anyone else have a similar issue getting in touch with them?

Last edited:
That sucks....................... I hope he gets you a replacement tube or sets ASAP!
Thanks,
They claim the tubes they receive are tested and they undergo additional testing at Fryette.
Whatever the case is, a few bad ones slip through the cracks.
I get it, it happens, but would expect better communication.

Last edited:
Reactions: rsm
Try emailing them again or hitting them up on facebook. They've had issues for years with either their email system or who's taking care of them. As for tubes, they can last 20 years or 20 minutes. That's just the way it is now.
Yeah, have had some last a long while, others not so much.
Im gonna try to get in touch with them some other way, hopefully they respond.

Thats too bad, glad it sounds like its going in the right direction now. He is probably a busy dude. Keep us posted !

Thats too bad, glad it sounds like it’s going in the right direction now. He is probably a busy dude. Keep us posted !
Yeah, simple tube swap should fix the problem.
The guy helping me over there goes by the name of Dave.
I’m sure they’re pretty busy and just overlooked my email. Glad they finally got back to me though.
Will keep you guys posted.

I've repaired a couple of PS100's, ended up communicating directly with Steve. Quick, detailed and of course he diagnosed the issue straight away making it super easy to complete the repair.

Last edited:
I've repaired a couple of PS100's, ended up communicating directly with Steve. Quick, detailed and of course he diagnosed the issue straight away making it super easy to complete the repair.
Having to repair relatively new PS100's sounds a little concerning.....:unsure::dunno:

Having to repair relatively new PS100's sounds a little concerning.....:unsure::dunno:

It's not like they build them at Fryette, probably outsourced to China, so no surprise to me unfortunately. Specifically for non-tube-related issues...which I would hope would be less common.

I once had a 2/90/2 that was red plating intermittently. Apparently there was a resistor that wasn't soldered at all...so when contact was being made, it worked fine, if no contact, it redplated.

I'm still a big fan of Fryette stuff, so I realize this type of stuff can happen time to time when you are outsourcing the build process.

It's not like they build them at Fryette, probably outsourced to China, so no surprise to me unfortunately. Specifically for non-tube-related issues...which I would hope would be less common.

I once had a 2/90/2 that was red plating intermittently. Apparently there was a resistor that wasn't soldered at all...so when contact was being made, it worked fine, if no contact, it redplated.

I'm still a big fan of Fryette stuff, so I realize this type of stuff can happen time to time when you are outsourcing the build process.
I didn't know Fryette's were foreign made? I thought they were at least built by his own shop or someone in the US like Friedman uses for his amp assembly.

Weren't Fryette amps usually made in the USA? If not, that's a big disappointment......

I didn't know Fryette's were foreign made? I thought they were at least built by his own shop or someone in the US like Friedman uses for his amp assembly.

Weren't Fryette amps usually made in the USA? If not, that's a big disappointment......

I don't know where they are made...I just said probably outsourced to China...could be BAD for all I know.... I just know they aren't making them in house (unless it's designated as Masterbuilt....like new production 2/90/2s and 2/50/2) though as they've posted pictures saying..." a new batch of xxxx has arrived." I would assume they do test them when they receive them though...before shipping out to dealers, but who knows. Not sure where the full sized amps are made...probably BAD.

^I don't believe just because something is made in China, it's necessarily a bad thing. My iphone costs more than a PS and it was made in China and works perfectly fine. I just think the attention to detail and quality control for outsourced production...wherever it is...is probably not a good as what inhouse production would be.

Tubes go, it's a part of owning a tube amp. Have spares. Pretty simple vs. jumping through hoops. Probably cheap Chinese tubes. Tested or not, new PSvane tubes are still in the wait and see phase, (unless they used JJ's).

^I don't believe just because something is made in China, it's necessarily a bad thing. My iphone costs more than a PS and it was made in China and works perfectly fine. I just think the attention to detail and quality control for outsourced production...wherever it is...is probably not a good as what inhouse production would be.
Regardless of where the PS100 are built having to service new PS100 does not bode well for quality control for any amp builder.

Yes.... tubes can have immediate mortality rates these days but that doesn't excuse other QC issues as Burger eluded to.

Tubes go, it's a part of owning a tube amp. Have spares. Pretty simple vs. jumping through hoops. Probably cheap Chinese tubes. Tested or not, new PSvane tubes are still in the wait and see phase, (unless they used JJ's).
That goes without saying.
The only 2 logical things to do was either return the unit or request new tubes from Fryette.
Pretty sure the originals I had are Fryette labeled psvane tubes. plate structure and the side getter flash arent the same as new sensor.
the replacement set they sent me are indeed Sovteks.

This issue can happen with any tube, Chinese, Russian, JJ, etc....

Back