New Gun Day!!!!

Old school plinking time, I love old 22's "Shoot a tick off a squirrels dick"
A3BE7F20-736A-4A36-ADA6-40FD994FD2CF.jpeg
01DC2B84-9AF8-4C51-8D19-65A3319A280A.jpeg

the new sig military round is very interesting....along with the polymer cases....when I heard 6.8 I thought ugh....because of the 6.8spc...but I guess they have done something totally different with it. really interested to see when they will introduce it to the civilian market.

the new sig military round is very interesting....along with the polymer cases....when I heard 6.8 I thought ugh....because of the 6.8spc...but I guess they have done something totally different with it. really interested to see when they will introduce it to the civilian market.
My thoughts exactly, I have no basis for opinion on it at this point..
I am however working on some 308 rds that are getting very interesting. Im working on loads that are getting me away from my tried and true Sierra Matchkings (168 and mostly 175g) that I have run for years to the new Hornady A Tip Match projectiles that have a much higher ballistic coefficient. They make a 167g that looks very promising and bucks the wind much better than my Matchkings. Ive run them with IMR 4064, 4198, 3031, and Varget so far, but haven't settled on a powder/charge rate so far. We are still gathering data on them, but Ive already beat my old loads by a nice margin. But they are stupid expensive... They are however the most consistent 308 projectiles Ive ever seen, and Ive used all of them..
And there is the whole primer availability thing...
Im down to less than a thousand LR primers

I need to get back into reloading. Talked to an old timer one day and he said they're gonna get us with the ammo....not the guns. He's right.

I need to get back into reloading. Talked to an old timer one day and he said they're gonna get us with the ammo....not the guns. He's right.
It'll be the components as well. Hell, it's already to the point where it's really not any cheaper to reload (IF you can find anything). But from an availability and custom created round it's still advantageous. I thought about investing in another reloading rig but I'm not sure it's a good time.

It'll be the components as well. Hell, it's already to the point where it's really not any cheaper to reload (IF you can find anything). But from an availability and custom created round it's still advantageous. I thought about investing in another reloading rig but I'm not sure it's a good time.
I got in a few months back, not really saving any money but the results have been much better than I expected. Using fire-formed-to-your-chamber brass and finding the right bullet depth/lands and the best charges for consistancy has led to some big advantages in distance shooting. Its been interesting to find out what really works and I ended up finding out some of the things I really went OCD over ended up not making that much of a difference at all. I did find out my 20" RPR barrel is not really up to the task of going past of trying to get out to 1400-1500 yds. but it gets to 1000 yds fine.

So I gotta re-barrel my RPR :D
Gonna put a Krieger 26" Match barrel on it. The difference in velocity will get me close to where I want to be. Ive got 9K+ rds through the stock barrel anyway, they say 10k is about the life of a stock RPR barrel.

I recently got a ruger mini 14 ; still haven't gotten a chance to fire it, but I've heard good things about accuracy (not much stopping power in a .223) ; Have any of you guys fired one before? opinions?

I recently got a ruger mini 14 ; still haven't gotten a chance to fire it, but I've heard good things about accuracy (not much stopping power in a .223) ; Have any of you guys fired one before? opinions?
I had one for a bit years ago, it was a good gun, but sometimes would jam up on me for no apparent reason. I looked at several things and could not nail down exactly what was happening so I let it go. I even let a local smith look it over and he said he thought he had it fixed but 20 rounds later it did it again so I gave up on it. Didn't matter what ammo was used, extractor seemed fine. Doesn't mean yours will do that at all, but I have a big thing about trusting a weapon to function properly so I let it go. It was pretty accurate inside of 250 yds. The ones that run well seem to do it for a long time, I think mine was just a fluke and/or I just wasn't smart enough to figure it out. I probably should have sent it to Ruger and let them see it, they have great customer service, but at some point the AR bug bit me and that was pretty much it at that point.
Run the piss out of it until it gives you a reason not to :thumbsup:

hell yeah bro....I worked for Ruger for 2 years in the early 90's. Good gun...mini version of an m1a1...very reliable but accuracy is just ok....great for a truck gun or battle rifle....not good for competitive shooting. imo. usually it's the shooter and not the platform getting good or bad results...

usually it's the shooter and not the platform getting good or bad results...
So true. Recently put Geiselle SSA-E triggers in both my 16” and 10.3” ARs. Took them out and my groupings tightened up to consistent sub-moa groups.

A friend who was with me commented that it just proved how important good equipment is. I tried to explain to him that what the trigger did was to compensate for deficiencies in MY trigger pull. By smoothing the pull and lightening the break, it reduces the potential for impact from flaws in MY technique. He was skeptical.

I know guys with equipment that some shooters would scoff and turn their noses up to who can shoot a pimple off a gnats ass. Likewise I know guys with “boutique” rifles who are incapable of grouping under 10” at 25 yds.

Have a Ruger 10-22. One of my favorite rifles to shoot. It‘s a little tack driver and shooting it doesn’t break the bank. Put an AT3 RD-30 red dot on it, which turned out to be a cheap (~$75 USD) and surprisingly good red dot (The dot is reasonably competitive with my Aimpoint PRO and Micro T2). That is a fun gun to plink with.

Last edited:
Gun peep here. Congrats on the new firearm. I just got a S&W Shield Plus. Badass 9mm micro pistol. Nice and smooth.

Last edited:
Back