New Mesa Boogie Amp: Badlander Rectifier

I never like EL34s in Rectos. Not sure who started this stupid idea. They always sound better 6L6GCS tubes. If you want boosted mids, buy a Marshall or M-derivative amp.

Eh...

I loved my old Trem-O-Verb with EL34's. That's THE Soundgarden sound to me (Superunknown).

TO ME it gave the amp a Bogner-ish feel.

In that video above, Ola clearly liked the 34s.
I could go with either, probably prefer the 34s for most stiff but 6L6s are so much more relaible

In Ola's video, the 6L6's sound better. Way more signature "Recto" sounding, big fat gain. With 6L6's I can see more of the appeal for a Badlander type amp.

However it still doesn't sway me from wanting a Multi Watt Dual Recto. Especially because boost pedals already exist and most guitar players with the money to buy a Recto will probably already have their perfect boost pedal picked out and on their board to tighten a regular Recto however they like instead of the specific way Mesa has tightened the Badlander.

Last edited:
Reactions: LCW
It sounded better with 34s. I play guitar. I like mids. If you don’t like mids, go play bass.

You heard it here first folks. If you don't play guitar through a half-cocked wah straight into a megaphone, then through an AM radio, you HATE MIDS and therefore you hate electric guitar in general, BROTHER.

Makes me wonder why the government hasn't just outlawed all guitar amps except for one government-issued Mesa Mark style amp with the EQ locked in an upside down V shape because there's obviously only one single way music should sound when played by an electric guitar.

I love Marshalls and Mesas....I liked my Rectos best with 6L6. And a mid flavored boost of course...34s sounded cool too but 6L6 just sound right to me.

It sounded better with 34s. I play guitar. I like mids. If you don’t like mids, go play bass.
A dual rec with 6l6s has plenty mids.
Guarantee, you won't have the mid knob cranked.
EL34s take away from punch and clarity, at least in the Rectos I've owned.
Not sure about this Badlander. Will have to play it and see.

I wonder what it sounds like with some Sylania 6CA7’s in variac mode with EL-34 bias. Mesa always has their bias so cold.

What is the difference between 6CA7s and EL34s? Honest question.
I have a Plexi clone loaded with 6CA7s, and have plenty of EL34s on hand.
I suppose I could find out for myself.
But is it worth it? Are they that different?

You heard it here first folks. If you don't play guitar through a half-cocked wah straight into a megaphone, then through an AM radio, you HATE MIDS and therefore you hate electric guitar in general, BROTHER.

Makes me wonder why the government hasn't just outlawed all guitar amps except for one government-issued Mesa Mark style amp with the EQ locked in an upside down V shape because there's obviously only one single way music should sound when played by an electric guitar.
Someone’s being melodramatic.

I don't love the sound of any of the demos I've heard so far. And the amp not having a 16 ohm out or two 8 ohm outs for two 16 ohm cabs is a real bummer. And it feels weird to call it a Rectifier when it doesn't use Rectifier tubes.

Either way I'd like to hear it with 6L6's and A/B'd against an actual boosted Recto to see how close to a "modern Recto" it really is.
All you need is this. Cost me about 15 bucks to make

071F689B-C07B-4A6D-8B9D-57427C83A9E1.jpeg

Back