New VHX Issue - No output to cab

willmcfarland

Hoping that Peter or Leo can give me a suggestion with this one.

I just bought a VHX (serial 013-095) from a guy in CA. It was brand new but not from a dealer.

There is no sound coming out of the output jacks. I can get full tone from the DI plug, so seems the preamp tubes are fine. The transformer wired to the output jacks does not get warm all, but the other larger one does. Does this indicate a power tube failure? It seems like this would be very unlikely in a new amp.

I was thinking a fuse may be blown as well, but can only locate one traditional fuse and a sand fuse on the board.

The seller offered to take it back or send a new set of KT77's. We are planning on trying the latter - I will be biasing if so.

thanks

Last edited:
Hi, is the dot on top right of LCD RED or GRAY?
Also there may be the mute function enabled, would you please post a screenshot of the VHX display?

Thank you,
Leo

Thanks for the quick reply, Leo! It is unmuted. I called the seller and we tried many things over the phone. I will attach a pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 76
Hi, actually it is muted because the red dot is red, it should be grey.

It means that VHX cannot see the cabinet attached, it will turn gray when the cable is well connected.

Can you make sure the cabinet cable is well connected? Can you try with a different cable?
Make sure to plug it all the way down as it's a stereo Jack so it needs 2 click instead of one.

Thank you,
Leo

Well it is working now! I had verified the cables were working and plugged in correctly many many times already. I just tried plugging into all the outputs and when I plugged into the 4ohm output I heard a relay momentarily click. I did that a few more times then the relay seemed to stay off and the mute light turned grey and sound started coming out through all jacks. Seems like a relay or something was frozen? Regardless, it is working now!

I had tried every speaker cable I own and verified they worked on my other amps, so I don't think it was that.

Leo, I do have two more questions:

1. Is there a way to back up the user presets (I haven't found answer to this on the forum).
2. Would you please add me to the beta software list. email is

thanks again and looking forward to enjoying this amp for many years to come!

Last edited:
Well it is working now! I had verified the cables were working and plugged in correctly many many times already. I just tried plugging into all the outputs and when I plugged into the 4ohm output I heard a relay momentarily click. I did that a few more times then the relay seemed to stay off and the mute light turned grey and sound started coming out through all jacks. Seems like a relay or something was frozen? Regardless, it is working now!

Leo, I do have two more questions:

1. Is there a way to back up the user presets (I haven't found answer to this on the forum).
2. Would you please add me to the beta software list. email is willmcfarland@gmail.com

thanks again and looking forward to enjoying this amp for many years to come!

Awesome!!

Was it an old plug on cable? Maybe some oxidation on the plug prevented a good contact and plugging and unplugging did make the plug clean a bit.

1) sure, however you can only backup all of them at once, not single preset yet.
To do so please connect VHX to PC using USB, click mount on the setting page and when the folder shows up just copy the VHX.db file somewhere safe.

When you want to revert it back just copy that file again into the VHX and replace the one inside.

2) Sure, do you have already 3.x firmware?

Please enjoy it and I'll available for any question!

Thank you,
Leo

Not sure about the plug. It was brand new cables I was using. Just very glad it’s working!

I currently have 2.0 from the website. I have no presets saved at the moment since it is new so probably a great time to update. Assuming that updating deletes presets?

Load Basic Presets for VHX (incase you deleted them and want to restore).

Unzip VHX.DB file to your computer/laptop
Connect computer to USB port on the VHX
Go to the setting far left
Click mount
You should see the VHX storage (drive) on your computer
Copy VHX.DB to the root of the VHX drive.
I believe you need to power cycle VHX for new presets to show up.

Attachments

• VHX.zip
    4.8 KB · Views: 71
Back