New XTC & Preamp tubes

Manxmusicman

Hi all,

Purchased a new XTC101b just after Christmas, I’ve been looking to tighten up the red channel a bit so have been looking at tubes. Anyway, cracked the amp open tonight to find Tung Sol’s in V1, V5 & V6, a JJ in V2 and electro harmonics in V3&4. Seems strange to have a bit of a mix and match straight from the factory. Has anyone else had this? Also if I want to make them all Tung Sol is that an issue?

Thanks

Phil

Hi all,

Purchased a new XTC101b just after Christmas, I’ve been looking to tighten up the red channel a bit so have been looking at tubes. Anyway, cracked the amp open tonight to find Tung Sol’s in V1, V5 & V6, a JJ in V2 and electro harmonics in V3&4. Seems strange to have a bit of a mix and match straight from the factory. Has anyone else had this? Also if I want to make them all Tung Sol is that an issue?

Thanks

Phil
Bought direct from Bogner??

For preamps I tend to go with a quality tube in V1 (Genalex GoldLion Premium, or Mullard), followed with high grade Shugs, and an LPS in the PI slot. Yes, Chinese tubes in the preamp section of the Bogner - providing their low noise, high gain - are exceptional in the XTC. Tungs can sound a bit dark, and EHX are actually decent preamps. I know supply chain issues have hit the industry across the board - I'd not overthink it - but if you want tight - follow the aforementioned recipe and it'll kick ass. What powertubes did it come with?? Might wanna check their bias to make sure they're on point.
Peace

Thanks for replying, I think I’m just going to stick Tung Sols in replace of the odd tubes. It still has the JJ’s in the power section. I’m going to swap these out for some winged c’s then I’ll check the bias.

I went direct to Bogner with this question and they basically said that its due to the supply of Chinese tubes so they do mix and match from the factory.

Thanks for replying, I think I’m just going to stick Tung Sols in replace of the odd tubes. It still has the JJ’s in the power section. I’m going to swap these out for some winged c’s then I’ll check the bias.

I went direct to Bogner with this question and they basically said that its due to the supply of Chinese tubes so they do mix and match from the factory.
Just bear in mind the Tungs can darken that amp. Otherwise, happy heavy hitting - glorious amp man - truly a glorious amp!!

Back