Newbie to CA - let's talk about tubes

Manxmofo

Hi all,

I recently purchased an od3r and was chuffed to bits with it. I live in the Isle of Man, it's such a small place and we only have one guitar shop where the stock is extremely limited so I as never going to get to test the amp first hand. I took a gamble and boy did it pay off, it's such a beautiful sounding amp.

I play in quite a few bands and have discovered that while the amp covers a lot of ground it's not quite comfortable going a bit heavier, something about the lower mids. Im not talking death metal here but I play in an iron maiden covers band and it doesn't quite get to where I need it to be. No biggie as it does so well at everything else I need it to do. An opportunity came up to buy a triptik so guess what, I did, haven't had a chance to play it at volume yet but I'm looking forward to giving it a good blast.

Now onto the question, tubes? Both if these amps are 2nd hand and are 4-5 years old, I don't know how much they have been played so I'm considering changing the tubes. The od3 has Ruby's in it and the triptik's el34's are unbranded. In both amps the 12a7's just say China on them. What tubes are you guys running in your CA's? I've read quite a few threads and Alan seems to have done a lot of work making sure the right tubes are in these amps. I've previously used Tung Sols in my amps and like them and was thinking of doing the same so would love to hear other users experiences.

Back