NGD '79 Les Paul Custom

Nitrobattery

Of all of the guitars that I've bought and sold over the years, my old 1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom has always felt like the one that got away. There’s just something really special about the unique wood combination and neck carve on Gibsons from that era, and I had kicked myself 1,000 times over for letting mine go.

Well, the stars finally aligned and I found another incredibly clean 1979 Les Paul Custom that sounds even better than my first one. The frets were toast, so I just got it back from being re-fretted with 6100 size stainless frets, getting a new TonePros bridge and Suhr Aldrich pickups. It's an absolute monster. So psyched to have another one of these. I have a Les Paul Traditional that does the Tele on steroids thing beautifully, and this one is just a massive sounding rock/metal machine.

and a few from before the work was done

tpLuP3.jpg

tpLo4F.jpg

tpLPdD.jpg

Congrats @Nitrobattery ! I just got a 1980 Black Custom with chrome and I'm loving it. Even digging the stock pickups once the wonky pots were sorted out. But mine was a player...yours looks super sweet.

EDIT: I don't know how you feel about speedknobs but my LPC had a quad of chrometop witchhat knobs in the case (like @glpg80 above but black knob with chrome top) and that's what I'm using. Just personal preference.

Yep Matt is correct, I think 79 still had the witch hat knobs which imo are my personal favorite anyway. 85 would have been speed knobs but mine had already been changed over.

Of all of the guitars that I've bought and sold over the years, my old 1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom has always felt like the one that got away. There’s just something really special about the unique wood combination and neck carve on Gibsons from that era, and I had kicked myself 1,000 times over for letting mine go.

Well, the stars finally aligned and I found another incredibly clean 1979 Les Paul Custom that sounds even better than my first one. The frets were toast, so I just got it back from being re-fretted with 6100 size stainless frets, getting a new TonePros bridge and Suhr Aldrich pickups. It's an absolute monster. So psyched to have another one of these. I have a Les Paul Traditional that does the Tele on steroids thing beautifully, and this one is just a massive sounding rock/metal machine.

tpLuP3.jpg

tpLo4F.jpg

tpLPdD.jpg
Dang that's kick ass! Did you end up keeping the Wizard ??? BTW - we're playing One Beer at a Time in Camas this Friday night if you're bored, Wizard MC 25 will be in action

tpLuP3.jpg

tpLo4F.jpg

tpLPdD.jpg
Pure sex. There’s not a sexier guitar than a black LPC. And I love me some Norlins.

Congrats @Nitrobattery ! I just got a 1980 Black Custom with chrome and I'm loving it. Even digging the stock pickups once the wonky pots were sorted out. But mine was a player...yours looks super sweet.

EDIT: I don't know how you feel about speedknobs but my LPC had a quad of chrometop witchhat knobs in the case (like @glpg80 above but black knob with chrome top) and that's what I'm using. Just personal preference.

I basically sweat battery acid, so mine will have some serious wear and tear in no time :)

The stock pickups sounded great, but they were crazy microphonic. I'm really digging the Aldrich set in this guitar, but I will definitely get the originals re-potted and give them another whirl in it.

Congrats on your '80!

Last edited:
Beautiful big time congratulations!! A buddy of mine had a 78 and it was almost 12 lb is yours heavy? I like a Les Paul to have a lot of weight to it, even the ladies if I've had enough beer in me😉

My LP Custom Gas is through the roof right now. I bought a new Epi LPC to mod a bit but it's fueled the fire for a real LPC. This one is great, Congrats!

Welcome back to the team :rock:

Yes a fully refretted and restored Les Paul custom from the early years is just cream of the crop.

Here’s my 85 refretted with jumbo Jescar stainless. It’s currently my number one

View attachment 135421

I went with Jescar stainless on mine too.

I don't need more Les Pauls at this point, but I've always wanted a birth year '85. I may have to go for it soon before the prices continue to climb.

Beautiful big time congratulations!! A buddy of mine had a 78 and it was almost 12 lb is yours heavy? I like a Les Paul to have a lot of weight to it, even the ladies if I've had enough beer in me😉

My previous '79 Custom and my old '78 Standard were both super heavy. This one definitely has some heft to it but it's nothing crazy. I haven't weighed it but it's probably in the 9.5-10lb range.

I went with Jescar stainless on mine too.

I don't need more Les Pauls at this point, but I've always wanted a birth year '85. I may have to go for it soon before the prices continue to climb.
That’s why I bought my last and final 3rd LPC. I’ve wanted a clean wine red for literally years and could never find a good one. Finally found one but I paid double what I would have cost 5 years ago. Prices on these may or may not increase further but I can tell you they certainly aren’t going to come down. Clean refretted ones are king and OE owners are figuring it out.

Here’s my latest 1976 custom currently getting fully restored. Converting to 500k pots, uncovered 498T/496R (496R magnet swapped to A5), polished paint, compound radius 12-14”, and Jescar jumbo stainless. It should be done before November.

3B01E7BA-7340-4905-97E8-71835AA14D24.jpeg

Back