NGD '79 Les Paul Custom

Of all of the guitars that I've bought and sold over the years, my old 1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom has always felt like the one that got away. There’s just something really special about the unique wood combination and neck carve on Gibsons from that era, and I had kicked myself 1,000 times over for letting mine go.

Well, the stars finally aligned and I found another incredibly clean 1979 Les Paul Custom that sounds even better than my first one. The frets were toast, so I just got it back from being re-fretted with 6100 size stainless frets, getting a new TonePros bridge and Suhr Aldrich pickups. It's an absolute monster. So psyched to have another one of these. I have a Les Paul Traditional that does the Tele on steroids thing beautifully, and this one is just a massive sounding rock/metal machine.

and a few from before the work was done

tpLuP3.jpg

tpLo4F.jpg

tpLPdD.jpg
Had one just like that, sold it in 98 so I could buy a PRS.
Wish I could have that one back. Hands down the best playing guitar I've had. 11s felt like 9s. Dropped it on the headstock, no crack, stayed in tune.
Sooooo wish I could have that one back. Congrats!!!!

That’s why I bought my last and final 3rd LPC. I’ve wanted a clean wine red for literally years and could never find a good one. Finally found one but I paid double what I would have cost 5 years ago. Prices on these may or may not increase further but I can tell you they certainly aren’t going to come down. Clean refretted ones are king and OE owners are figuring it out.

Here’s my latest 1976 custom currently getting fully restored. Converting to 500k pots, uncovered 498T/496R (496R magnet swapped to A5), polished paint, compound radius 12-14”, and Jescar jumbo stainless. It should be done before November.

View attachment 135466
Oh man! That's going to be awesome!

I went with Jescar stainless on mine too.

I don't need more Les Pauls at this point, but I've always wanted a birth year '85. I may have to go for it soon before the prices continue to climb.
well, this one is not really your birth year but a year earlier, we can call it 'still in the sack year'...1984...close enough though...:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_20220915_231339_1.jpg
    IMG_20220915_231339_1.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 44
Congrats! That's very clean looking one for sure.

Here's a '79 Silverburst I picked up before Gibson decided to make a $10k reissue of it (and subsequently drove the price of the original up).
wmSH58q.jpg

That looks great!

Yeah the prices of all of the 70's Les Pauls have gotten silly, with the silverbursts being the biggest offenders. Congrats on your guitar appreciating though! That was a big part of picking this one up. I'm into it for way over 3x what I sold my original one for, and I figured I should just bite the bullet before they climbed any further.

Of all of the guitars that I've bought and sold over the years, my old 1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom has always felt like the one that got away. There’s just something really special about the unique wood combination and neck carve on Gibsons from that era, and I had kicked myself 1,000 times over for letting mine go.

Well, the stars finally aligned and I found another incredibly clean 1979 Les Paul Custom that sounds even better than my first one. The frets were toast, so I just got it back from being re-fretted with 6100 size stainless frets, getting a new TonePros bridge and Suhr Aldrich pickups. It's an absolute monster. So psyched to have another one of these. I have a Les Paul Traditional that does the Tele on steroids thing beautifully, and this one is just a massive sounding rock/metal machine.

and a few from before the work was done

tpLuP3.jpg

tpLo4F.jpg

tpLPdD.jpg
Beautiful, also awesome amp collection

Back