NGD!! Bucket list guitar..... Ibanez Jem content

nevusofota

Patience pays off! I’ve been looking for a fairly clean original run Jem 777 in desert yellow for years, preferring it over the pink and green paint jobs. I remember staring at it in the 1990 Ibanez catalog for hours as a kid. I always passed on most that were for sale because either the price was too high or they were pretty beat up. Since the reissues came out this past year for $3500, prices on originals skyrocketed and I came to terms that I likely wouldn’t be finding an original, let alone a descent price one. Well, this one came available last week at a KILLER price. Only thing is I had to buy without seeing or playing and the pictures were not that clear. I had to make the decision to purchase quickly and had very little time to get more info. To make matters worse, it was evident that the seller knew very little about guitars as he seemed more concerned that it didn’t come with strings than anything else. I was for sure it was going to arrive with a catastrophic issue. Well it arrived 2 days ago and the thing is near perfect for its 30 years on this planet. Probably the best example of an original run I’ve ever seen. I have my main gigging guitars, so this one was more to satisfy my slowly growing collection. I never thought I’d say it but I’m a little afraid to play it as the heal plate has zero corrosion (unheard of in these). I don’t think the guitar was ever played as the frets also look brand new. All she needed were strings, quick set-up (including only a minor truss rod adjustment) and a mild cleaning and it was like I just pulled the guitar off the rack in 1988. :rock:

That is a killer find!! Yellow was always my favorite one too.

And the necks on the reissues do not feel the same to me (I've already gone through a couple this year)...those early ones really did have the great necks!!

Very nice, that is beautiful. Congrats. I've always wanted a Jem too, but never pulled the trigger for whatever reason.

Awesome add there....My brother still has the first year 87 JEM Desert Yellow that he bought brand new.....It has one amazing neck

Rock Bodom":3r6b8sif said:
That is a killer find!! Yellow was always my favorite one too.

And the necks on the reissues do not feel the same to me (I've already gone through a couple this year)...those early ones really did have the great necks!!
I agree. The neck has a little more meat to it than the standard wizard style necks. Much more comfortable. I also like how there seems to be absolutely no finish on the neck making it much smoother and less likely to get tacky.

Congrats, brings back lots of memories from the old guitar magazines and college keg party jams.

:thumbsup:

Back