NGD - D'Avanzo Custom

jsp

I received this custom order about a week ago, and, honeymoon period aside, am totally blown away. Aside from being one of the most beautiful guitars I've seen, it plays and sounds outstanding. It probably has the loudest unplugged sound and best sustain of any guitar I've owned. I haven't seen anything off the shelf or custom that has similar quality for a similar price, and I would definitely recommend anyone thinking about a custom to check out these guitars as well.

The pics below are from the builder, since I can't take pics myself that do the guitar any justice. More pics and full specs are on the website: http://davanzoguitars.com/da030

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

That is badass , congrats . Mikes work is impeccable not to mention he is a really cool guy and fun to talk gear with

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you're so happy with it. Not sure if you saw this shot of it I had posted on instagram that wasn't on my site, a cool shot that shows off the wenge neck...

18095338_299786430443379_8413848831308857344_n.jpg

XSSIVE":3uzvstvf said:
Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you're so happy with it. Not sure if you saw this shot of it I had posted on instagram that wasn't on my site, a cool shot that shows off the wenge neck...

The back of that guitar is pure sex...great wood and color combo!

I'm not a huge fan of the Tele body style, but that is a damned sexy guitar. I love it. I love that they use Dimarzios too. What are their prices like? Their strats and double-cutaways are very appealing.

I think I can safely say, "this ain't your daddy's Tele..."

Super nice man. I strongly dislike Tele's but would gladly own this. Congrats!

SavageRiffer":xuclv8oo said:
I'm not a huge fan of the Tele body style, but that is a damned sexy guitar. I love it. I love that they use Dimarzios too. What are their prices like? Their strats and double-cutaways are very appealing.

Ahhh, but it's not a tele, that's my JD shape. It obviously was tele inspired but the idea was what if you take a tele, strat, jazzmaster and EVH style and throw them in a blender and then spend countless hours fine tuning every single line to perfect it all, you get my JD shape. It's kind of semi offset and very ergonomic in terms of where your forearm lands on the cutaway, how it sits on your leg when sitting, and how all four fingers of your fretting hand fit easily within the cutaway. The idea was to make something different but oddly familiar at the same time. Guitarists, all of us, want something different but love tradition at the same time, so I had to walk that line and thankfully I think it really worked. My contoured body and matching neck heel design (which is on all body shapes I offer) is also over thought out in the same way. Take away only the wood that's in the way of your hand and not too much to kill the key point where the tonal transfer between body and neck happens. Same goes for using single action truss rods and not tone sucking heavy dual rods but make them headstock adjustable even with a Floyd locking nut so there's no need to pull the neck to get to the rod or have an ugly spoke wheel hacked into the fretboard overhang. As for pickups, I'll use whatever a customer wants, DiMarzio's are my standard though. Pricing, since I mostly do custom order builds, is priced per build based on specs but the range is typically in the $2-$3k ballpark with most falling somewhere right in the middle of that. When I have guitars that I build with specs chosen by me just for resale and not a custom order (there are a few listed on my site now with a red for sale under them http://davanzoguitars.com/guitars/) I reduce those prices a bit compared to a custom order as an incentive to go with specs I chose and forgo the custom order wait time.

dooredge":xuclv8oo said:
I think I can safely say, "this ain't your daddy's Tele..."

Super nice man. I strongly dislike Tele's but would gladly own this. Congrats!

Hahaha nice, glad others like it! Here's a shot that better shows how different it is from a tele. The absurd amount of changes the JD shape has compared to a tele are actually a bit lost unless I start pointing them out when the two shapes are side by side, but that's what makes it work since it's actually not as simple as a sort of skewed tele. If you check my site you can see the JD shape in various other configurations and photo angles to get a better sense of the shape.

17966147_1240104256106354_3684523361998495727_o.jpg

Thanks, dudes.

hammered":3irs2e78 said:
That is badass , congrats . Mikes work is impeccable not to mention he is a really cool guy and fun to talk gear with

Yeah, that too :thumbsup:

XSSIVE":3irs2e78 said:

Yup :rock:

This guitar is definitely feels nothing like a tele. I could never get along with teles ergonomically, but this guitar is very comfortable, and it's actually nice to have your forearm actually land on the forearm cut as Mike pointed out which alone makes a huge difference. And the upper fret access is pretty good also for a 22-fret bolt-on.

MetalHeadMike":ih8sr45s said:
Looks really nice :thumbsup:

Wenge neck?

Yup.

jsp":2069xp6l said:
Lifeson1":2069xp6l said:
Putting DA026 thru the paces right now. . . Just got her yesterday. So far, it's a dream!

Chelshire Cat II? That thing looks awesome :rock:

Yup-thanks! Mike worked hard on it, and it wasn't without a few setbacks - but soooooo well worth the wait. Detailed report to follow once I really put it through the paces.

jsp":1amgwmvj said:
Lifeson1":1amgwmvj said:
Putting DA026 thru the paces right now. . . Just got her yesterday. So far, it's a dream!

Chelshire Cat II? That thing looks awesome :rock:

Yeah, getting that 2.0 version of my "cheshire cat" color right (compared to DA.021 which is 1.0) is why DA.026 was done after your guitar DA.030. It took three painters and two bodies to get it right and a whole lot of stress on my end as I heard excuse after excuse from the paint sniffers lol. I'm just thankful for a very patient customer who knew I wasn't about to settle for good enough.

Back