NPD - Griff RT Chiron klone

tallcoolone

I’ve been a member here for a long time but don’t hang here a ton—I’m not a huge high gain or metal guy but tone is tone and playing is playing and there is plenty of talent in both areas here so I stop by now and again. Anyway when @griff10672 posted that he was going to do a run of klones I figured what the hell and ponied up. Pretty much expecting an amateurish result TBH—no offense to Griff but I was not familiar with his work and hey the interwebs are full of so called experts. I was wrong.

Got the pedal yesterday and right from the get I’m impressed. Box is clearly labeled and has cool artwork on it—plenty of highly regarded ‘booteek’ companies could learn a thing or two from Griff. Little packet inside with a hand signed card, a sticker and several pics with a cool RT logo. Pedal comes in a drawstring dust bag and seems light yet sturdy. Graphics are cool and from what I can tell shouldn’t rub right off—like the JRockett Ikon did—seems like a pretty substantial clear coat.

6367E178-C775-4131-8425-8222037DFE05.jpeg

Anyway, who gives a shit, how does it sound? I set it up next to a JRockett Archer Icon running into the SV20 treble channel with a little hair dialed up. I’ve always liked the Icon, I’ve never had a real Klon but out of the 7-8 klones I’ve tried the Icon has stayed. I want a boost to have bite and the Ikon shines there. Back to back I found the Chiron to have the same top end I like in the Ikon but seems a little ‘fuller’. Not low end—that’s the last thing I want in a dirt box—but a more even tone that doesn’t sound quite as ‘thin’ when playing alone.

Props brother, well done. Classy presentation and def will be on the board at the next gig. I have at least 2 dozen dirt boxes of various types and I really think you could sell these for $150-160 all day. Absolutely killer in front of a crunchy Marshall.

7F65C06C-EC6A-4D80-802E-42610210003C.jpeg

I’ve been a member here for a long time but don’t hang here a ton—I’m not a huge high gain or metal guy but tone is tone and playing is playing and there is plenty of talent in both areas here so I stop by now and again. Anyway when @griff10672 posted that he was going to do a run of klones I figured what the hell and ponied up. Pretty much expecting an amateurish result TBH—no offense to Griff but I was not familiar with his work and hey the interwebs are full of so called experts. I was wrong.

Got the pedal yesterday and right from the get I’m impressed. Box is clearly labeled and has cool artwork on it—plenty of highly regarded ‘booteek’ companies could learn a thing or two from Griff. Little packet inside with a hand signed card, a sticker and several pics with a cool RT logo. Pedal comes in a drawstring dust bag and seems light yet sturdy. Graphics are cool and from what I can tell shouldn’t rub right off—like the JRockett Ikon did—seems like a pretty substantial clear coat.

View attachment 211645

Anyway, who gives a shit, how does it sound? I set it up next to a JRockett Archer Icon running into the SV20 treble channel with a little hair dialed up. I’ve always liked the Icon, I’ve never had a real Klon but out of the 7-8 klones I’ve tried the Icon has stayed. I want a boost to have bite and the Ikon shines there. Back to back I found the Chiron to have the same top end I like in the Ikon but seems a little ‘fuller’. Not low end—that’s the last thing I want in a dirt box—but a more even tone that doesn’t sound quite as ‘thin’ when playing alone.

Props brother, well done. Classy presentation and def will be on the board at the next gig. I have at least 2 dozen dirt boxes of various types and I really think you could sell these for $150-160 all day. Absolutely killer in front of a crunchy Marshall.

View attachment 211648
Hey ..... Thanks a ton . Much appreciated !

Sounding real good through the Royal MSG100 too. Not as light/subtle as an EP type preamp but not as heavy as an SD-1 or even a Timmy or TS9. I know that sounds annoyingly TGPish but it pushes an old school Marshall into hard rock/classic metal territory very nicely. @griff10672 you gonna make/sell more of these?

Sounding real good through the Royal MSG100 too. Not as light/subtle as an EP type preamp but not as heavy as an SD-1 or even a Timmy or TS9. I know that sounds annoyingly TGPish but it pushes an old school Marshall into hard rock/classic metal territory very nicely. @griff10672 you gonna make/sell more of these?
Yes ..... they will be in the bigger enclosure ( 1590BB ) and have a battery jack and a blue LED footswitch ... 150 Shipped

they will look like " Thugs " .... and won't say Moderator Edition on them ....
1685748859656.png

That's great man, love it. A good klone is a must have and I know there aren't any out there as good as yours that I've tried (I'm not dropping $300+ on a dirt box tho so YMMV).

What's next? One boost I've never had and isn't really out there at all right now is the DOD OD250???

jamming on mine as im typing this, i landed on the same settings you did and im digging it, its just like a slight push.
With the volume set that high, at least on mine that is a huge push. Mine is unity volume around 9 o’clock, that is the biggest difference I notice between the silver pony Klone and the Chiron. I also notice the extra thickness or evenness of tone, which I really like.

Hope OP doesn’t mind if I piggyback on this post. Was playing mine this morning, working on cleaning up fast runs n harmonies. This is the Chiron into the crunch channel on the SLO, gain at 7, so like 2203/2204 gain.

I like it better than the Ikon, which I found stuffy in the mids. The Chiron reminds me most of the Ceriatone, lil more lows and air than the klone I've been using (which has less lows, more hi mids). Great for making leads stand out, and as a standalone od.

Back