NPD Hey bastards listen to the new mix Aldrich vs AHB3..lol

Great vid. as usual Mark, I like both sets of pick ups but the Aldrich's just had more character (what ever that means) :confused: in my opinion. Any who, great job :rock: :rock: :rock:

Jimmie":1dat1q1y said:
Maybe the next step is a blind test?

+1 for a blind test. This may produce surprising results (like was seen with the UK vs. Chinese Celestion V30s test). Set the amp up to make each pickup in turn sound its best and then see what people think. This forum seems to have a bias/preference for passive pickups. Let's see if that holds true in a blind test.

As already noted by several others, those zebra pickups are the aesthetically perfect match for that axe. :rock:

Thanks again Mark for all the work you put into your enjoyably informative videos. You're a real asset to this forum! :thumbsup:

metalsoup":2apemewu said:
Jimmie":2apemewu said:
Maybe the next step is a blind test?

+1 for a blind test. This may produce surprising results (like was seen with the UK vs. Chinese Celestion V30s test). Set the amp up to make each pickup in turn sound its best and then see what people think. This forum seems to have a bias/preference for passive pickups. Let's see if that holds true in a blind test.

As already noted by several others, those zebra pickups are the aesthetically perfect match for that axe. :rock:

Thanks again Mark for all the work you put into your enjoyably informative videos. You're a real asset to this forum! :thumbsup:

Yes I think a blind test would be very interesting. Even with the second mix I had someone saying the Blackouts now sounded fizzier...even though I didn't change the mix for the Blackouts at all :) Sometimes what you see is not what you hear :)

I find all the different opinions very interesting.

Thanks for the kind words Dude, I appreciate it very much...it's why I keep doing this stuff :)

Mark

Mark Day":2s2xowzq said:
[I find all the different opinions very interesting. Thanks for the kind words Dude, I appreciate it very much...it's why I keep doing this stuff :) Mark

Mark, what I take away from your vids, is that you've got this unique way of hearing tone, a skill that you've obviously spent a considerable amount of time chasing. We can all buy the same great shit you have, but somehow, your tone always sounds more amazing than most everyone else here. (flame suit activated)

I don't know how much of that comes from inside of you as a musician, vs how much its in your settings? But name your price, teach me how to acheive that and I'll be grinning like an idiot for the rest of my daze.
:worship:

Mark Day":z8kr41tm said:
Yes I think a blind test would be very interesting. Even with the second mix I had someone saying the Blackouts now sounded fizzier...even though I didn't change the mix for the Blackouts at all :) Sometimes what you see is not what you hear :)

Just "flip" the sound tracks ..., so the Blackout audio is playing w/the Aldrich video and vice versa ....

NOW THAT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO HEAR THE COMMENTS .... :D

Cool demo Mark! Loving those Queensryche riffs! :rock:

To my surprise I actually liked the Blackouts a tad more on the gainy stuff. Both sounded killer though.

I didn't watch the videos, but I'm going to have to go with the aldrich. Seemed Fuller sounding and more dynamic to my ears from what I didn't hear. Great playing as usual though.

Aldrich pickups all the way Mark!!

There is something about them that sounds more immediate and faster on the attack. Those Blackouts do sound hefty, but they sound more compressed and slower on the attack. If that makes sense?

Marshall Freak":2343twke said:
I didn't watch the videos, but I'm going to have to go with the aldrich. Seemed Fuller sounding and more dynamic to my ears from what I didn't hear. Great playing as usual though.

:LOL: :LOL:

Ok when I first listened to this yesterday at work, I thought the Aldrich pickups were getting slaughtered by the Blackouts across the board. I didn't reply because ive been getting my ass kicked here lately. With that said, and Now that Ive seen the new video.....The whole Aldrich section is NIGHT AND DAY different for the better.

I can most definitely hear an EQ difference between the two pickups. The aldrich p/u's have more bottom end bubble/girth and more more midrange / snap.
The Blackouts sounded thinner on the bottom end which is what ive usually found with active pickups although that can be a good or bad thing depending upon the amp. (quickly fixed with EQ on some amps)
My final thoughts are that on the tone that you are using, Id be happy with either pickup but Id really need to feel how both pickups respond / feel.
That's my 0.02 and I'm sticking to it :D

MARK1970":29ysnww1 said:
hthomas":29ysnww1 said:
Cool demo Mark. Aldrich's sounded much clearer and organic. I just prefer that than the blackouts.
I agree 100%. The blackouts sounded really good, but when the Aldrich clip came on, it was like wax build up taken out of my ears.

yup yup :rock:

Mark Day":2htocfxf said:
Marshall Freak":2htocfxf said:

:LOL: :LOL:

I was reading from my phone. :LOL: :LOL:

After getting home and actually listening, I do still prefer the Aldrich, but I think both sounded great,
AHB3's just seemed a little too tight and bright. Prefer the midrange on the Aldrich as well.

I hate you! I was completely sold on the Blackouts. Now I am reconsidering. Both sound killer anyway.

Mark, how would you compare the MCP Angel Dust you had in the CCV video to these pups? I'm tempted to try one.

Back