NPD VFE Dragon

jasonP

My first impression was that I wanted to box it up and sell it. The learning curve for this pedal for me was difficult for me as the knobs have a pile of range so just the smallest adjustments make a huge tonal effect. After figuring out how the pedal works I was able to dial in some very good sounds. It’s more saturated maybe compressed sounding then my other boost/od pedals I have but I really like the sounds I’m getting. Very cool pedal. I’ll have to post a shitty iPhone clip for you guys.

jasonP":302t86m3 said:
My first impression was that I wanted to box it up and sell it. The learning curve for this pedal for me was difficult for me as the knobs have a pile of range so just the smallest adjustments make a huge tonal effect. After figuring out how the pedal works I was able to dial in some very good sounds. It’s more saturated maybe compressed sounding then my other boost/od pedals I have but I really like the sounds I’m getting. Very cool pedal. I’ll have to post a shitty iPhone clip for you guys.

Congrats!

That pretty much mirrors my experience. Keep playing with it is all I can say because as you found out, there a TON of tones to be had. I can get it to sound fairly open/dry by fiddling with the level/drive knobs in various combinations, or as you stated it cab be ultra compressed/saturated too. Great pedal!

psychodave":gra9mi25 said:
Don’t forget to adjust the internal compression trim pot inside the pedal.

Dave you rock man! You inspired me to look into this pedal and stick with it to see if I could make it work. Really glad I did! I turned the compression up on mine, I like the way it sounds. If you ever want to sell that glam pink standout will you please let me know? I want to see how it fairs against the focus pedal I have coming.

Thanks guys, it has a different flavor then all my other pedals and really am digging the way this thing sounds. Very cool pedal!

In the Mesa cabs V30s and in the “Marshall” cabs lead 80s wet, GT-75s dry. I forgot to turn the power amp on so didn’t have the wet cabs going. Stock PRS277 baritone into the dragon and 100 watt Chupra with MM iron running 550 volts on the plates.

jasonP":1cget0f1 said:
In the Mesa cabs V30s and in the “Marshall” cabs lead 80s wet, GT-75s dry. I forgot to turn the power amp on so didn’t have the wet cabs going. Stock PRS277 baritone into the dragon and 100 watt Chupra with MM iron running 550 volts on the plates.

Did you custom spec a MM PT for the Chupa? Is the marshall cabinet sectioned off? I'm just curious as I've never seen anyone run individual speakers wet and dry separately in the same cabinet. I'm intrigued :D

glpg80":1aac94p9 said:
jasonP":1aac94p9 said:

Did you custom spec a MM PT for the Chupa? Is the marshall cabinet sectioned off? I'm just curious as I've never seen anyone run individual speakers wet and dry separately in the same cabinet. I'm intrigued :D

I just went with what Mark Cameron recommended I used which was an off the shelf one they carry. MMO-100 output transformer and MP100-67M for the power. The amp sounds really good, it's one of my favorite amps right now to play.

So for the cabs, I have 6- 4x12's which I run all at the same time. 3 - 4x12's with v30's and 3- Marshall style cabinets with Lead 80's in 2 cabs and GT-75's in one.

Hope that makes sense.

jasonP":3t9ek470 said:

Had one... sold it. It did not impress me much. I agree with your first impression! :thumbsup: :yes:

Too mid-pushed and compressed for my taste. Fiddled with the internal pot both ways. Sounds better with some more extreme settings on the amp it is driving... but then when you turn off the pedal, you are stuck with those settings or need to re-eq the amp. No go for me.

Very popular for the millennial djent militia. The upside is you won't lose any $$$ if/when you decide to sell.

Wizard of Ozz":333zrkcf said:
jasonP":333zrkcf said:

Had one... sold it. It did not impress me much. I agree with your first impression! :thumbsup: :yes:

Too mid-pushed and compressed for my taste. Fiddled with the internal pot both ways. Sounds better with some more extreme settings on the amp it is driving... but then when you turn off the pedal, you are stuck with those settings or need to re-eq the amp. No go for me.

Very popular for the millennial djent militia. The upside is you won't lose any $$$ if/when you decide to sell.

:rock: Rock on man, thanks for your thoughts and opinion! What do you like for pushing your amps, do you have a favorite boost/od you like to use? I know you have a lot of cool gear.

Clip sounded great dude. I just got my Dragon in the mail today ;) It's going to be a long day at work...

Wizard of Ozz":21mvrtxp said:
jasonP":21mvrtxp said:

Respect your opinion, however it’s user error. The pedal is basically a tube Screamer with adjustable high and low pass filters vs preset EQ from the builder. You have to use your ears to adjust the VFE pedals, not your eyes.

errrrrl":18o4smtf said:
Hey Dave does the dragon support 9v/12v/18v? If so have you messed with that much?

Hey. Yes, you can use up to 18 volt power supply for regular version and up to 12 volts for versions that have a charge pump. VFE usually labels the top of the pedal near the power jack.

That said, I prefer 18 volts since it has more year room and I use the pedals for a really tight feel.

Back