Older Modern Classics like Hetfields etc, and newer MC II etc.

lessarti

I got a question.

I have read, and noticed by observation etc ,that "diming" the contour knob on my MC II takes the contour knob upper mid shelf out of the circuit and sound. NOW, I have read that older MC's like the one James used on Garage Inc, was one with NO lead boost and NO contour knob. So with that being said, IF i was trying to get the SAME circuit as the older MC in terms of sound, then Contour on 10 and Lead boost OFF would basically be the old MC tone ??

Somebody tell me if I am correct or if there are still sound differences? I experimented with this lastnight playing, and got a nice high gain rhythm tone with contour on 10, lead boost pushed in "off", gain at about 8.5-9.

Only way to know is if you had one of these older MCs side by side right? I've never tried contour on full and never wondered how it compares to an older MC, but you got me curious what it sounds like in a general sense.

I do often prefer to play with lead boost off as I feel it's a more raw and slightly rounder, bigger/thicker tone. I am boosting with an OD, but it's just less abrasive and more open/less compressed than with lead boost on. But then there are times I enjoy pulling the lead boost for thrash tones or just a more aggressive sound.

Last edited:
Well, to clarify, with lead boost on or off it retains that overall Garage Inc tone etc. The sounds IS inherit to Wizard itself, but my monkey mind is just thinking out loud with this post.

I find contour on 10 actually has a bit less hair on the sound, slightly tighter feeling and that upper mid shelving sound turns into an overall brighter tone. Dial the contour back to 6-7.5 and that mid shelf is back, hair on notes is back, and that brighter presence snarl is gone. Very cool, both are really cool sounds, VERY identical and splitting hairs at differences but there is no doubt to my ears that those older MC 1 must literally be the same sound as contour on 10.

I would be very leery of an older model. Before all of the updates they had a very loud channel switch pop. Mine ghost noted like a bear and was noisy as can be before Rick really came into his own with grounding, etc. approximately 2016.

Back