Original Ibanez PS-10 Paul Stanley Iceman

  • Thread starter Thread starter frontline205
  • Start date Start date
F

frontline205

Well-known member
Any of you guys play these PS-10 Paul Stanley Iceman guitars from the late 70's early 80's. I was thinking of grabbing one cause i like the Iceman shape and I like Les Paul style guitars in pointy shapes. I remember I owned a DT555 that had a Les Paul style feel in the neck. Felt almost like my old 79 Les Paul, but in a Destroyer body. I played the Korean re-issues but that wasn't the feel, or sound.
I figured some of you guys have owned, or own one. Any issues to look out for, and does it have that Norlin era Gibson neck feel?
 
I have a 1996 PS-10-2 (Made in Korea). This is my #1 guitar. Been through many pickup and pot changes and I had it Plek'd. JB/Jazz rips in this guitar. HUGE frets.

I have a 2015 PS-10 (MIJ) I couldn't afford a PS-10 back in the early 90s so I went with the 10-2. The binding on the 10 is much thicker. 10 has ebony board, the 10-2 rosewood. The 10 has a little more clarity and brightness: Custom 5 and '59.

Both sound like a Les Paul/Explorer mated.😃
 
Big fan of the Iceman and PS guitars. I can't speak to the ones from the 70's-80's, but I have several of the reissue ones from '94 (IC300 &IC350). I really like them. To me the just needed a pickup upgrade. This is probably no help to you.

@rsm has a couple of the Paul Stanley models, but I can't remember if they're the vintage or newer models. Maybe he'll chime in.
 
Big fan of the Iceman and PS guitars. I can't speak to the ones from the 70's-80's, but I have several of the reissue ones from '94 (IC300 &IC350). I really like them. To me the just needed a pickup upgrade. This is probably no help to you.

@rsm has a couple of the Paul Stanley models, but I can't remember if they're the vintage or newer models. Maybe he'll chime in.
I have two PS10 (MIJ Prestige) they are mid 2020s new models both with the Duncan '59 model and Custom 5.

I have two aliexpress models; one is the white one that I upgraded the pickups to a set of DiMarzio D-Activator X, white knobs, and polished nickel selector tip; the second is a purple cracked mirror.

I also have an aliexpress silver cracked mirror but it has finish flaws under the clear coat on the body top - guitar is fine otherwise, at some point I may refinish the top...just not worth it yet.



after.png


PS-Purple.png
 
Last edited:
Get ready to spend a lot of money bro. Prepare for sticker shock


I owned the PS60 and PS120. If you want a good version for around $1K new, get the PS120. It has a set neck and the same Duncan pickups as the PS10, just made in China or Korea. The PS10 is worth the price if you really like this model. The PS10 is my fav two humbucker hardtail; I like it more than my Gibson 60s standard clownburst with DiMarzio SD and S2.

Screenshot 2026-06-21 100637.png




Here's one of my PS10, with a PS60 (sold)


New-PS10.JPG
 
Theres a few beat up one's on Guitar Center used. I like them beat up cause then I don't feel bad playing them out

I'd own more PS10 if they offered other colors I like. Mere mortals don't have access to the Ibanez custom shop so I can't even buy a white PS10; so I turned to aliexpress.

I understand why the cracked mirror are expensive, they're PS10 to start, as the mirror pieces are hand cut and hand glued which is labor intensive but I can't justify the cost; so again, aliexpress.

aliexpress is hit or miss; and I purchased them before the ongoing tariffs.
 
Last edited:
I'd own more PS10 if they offered other colors I like. Mere mortals don't have access to the Ibanez custom shop so I can't even buy a white PS10; so I turned to aliexpress.

I understand why the cracked mirror are expensive, they're PS10 to start, as the mirror pieces are hand cut and hand glued which is labor intensive but I can't justify the cost; so again, aliexpress.

aliexpress is hit or miss; and I purchased them before the ongoing tariffs.
Yea tariff kind killed buying foreign guitars for me. Plus I'd like to own an original for reference. Also classic Ibanez before they dedicated themselves to the superstrat platform are some of my favorite guitars.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rsm
The made in Indonesia/China or whatever do not have mahogany bodies. I'm speaking of PS120, 60 etc. The prestige PS-10 MIJ are mahogany. My made in Korea PS10-2 from 1996 is mahogany.

Sweetwater lists the PS120 as mahogany body. That is incorrect. Ibanez site states Okoume body.
 
Last edited:
When Alund was selling that guitar collection he had some really cool ones. He was like make an offer… that’s when I got educated about the value on the og Mij ones. I told him he was sitting on a nice surprise when he started looking up values…
 
Back
Top