Original Mark IIC+ SR Realistic Value

That's the point- they don't ALL sound bad with no EQ. Just most of them. When you've owned as many as I have you get it. The 60s are especially prone to kicking ass with no EQ.

To back UMGT up here's my old C+ SR with nothing but a noise gate in the loop.

Mine has EQ and with it out it has more of a vintage sound, especially with less gain. All depends on what you’re going for. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Certainly more versatile to have it as an option but not mandatory IMO. Can always put sometthing in the loop or sculpt in post.

FWIW, I've read that turning off the EQ on an equipped Mark is not the same as the tone you get from a Mark not equipped with EQ. Apparently most players jump to the conclusion that simply turning off the EQ on a Mark is how the non EQ versions sound, and is why they are less desirable.

I'd love to hear from someone who has A/Bed the two in a room to confirm or deny these assumptions.

It really just depends on the particular specimen, and yes I've had both varieties in the room on several occasions. See below. My B+ Coli, C++ Coli, that C+ SR, and my old C++ DRG all ripped with no EQ / EQ off. I've played a B+ S & another B+ SR that ripped as-is. If you fired up the amp with the EQ off you could play all day like that, and it arguably sounds better that way in the band mix.

However, the C+ DR, HR & HRG did not sound very good with the EQ off although the HR was passable. Also all six MKIII I've had sounded like total ass with the EQ off.

The no-EQ amps do have a faster attack & better sustain, and tone aside I think are more fun to play. Doug West was right.

Rigtards have nailed-it! Non GEQ equipped Boogie amps are a joke. DO NOT BUY! :D

Last edited:
Why hasn't anyone modded a non-GEQ Boogie? WTF, right? They just plain old suck compared to a GEQ Boogie so I would think someone out there has changed the knobs on one so they work. That's the problem with the non-GEQ's. They should have put knobs on the amp that actually did something, like a normal, non Boogie amp does. "Does this 'mid' knob need work? It doesn't seem to do anything."

As ugly as the GEQ looks at first, it fucking works! Boogie wouldn't be here without it.

Why hasn't anyone modded a non-GEQ Boogie? WTF, right? They just plain old suck compared to a GEQ Boogie so I would think someone out there has changed the knobs on one so they work. That's the problem with the non-GEQ's. They should have put knobs on the amp that actually did something, like a normal, non Boogie amp does. "Does this 'mid' knob need work? It doesn't seem to do anything."

As ugly as the GEQ looks at first, it fucking works! Boogie wouldn't be here without it.
Absolutely right! This rigtard knows what he's talking about.

Can any of you guys educate me on this transiting mk 3 head. Not much info on no stripe https://reverb.com/item/50629954-mesa-boogie-mark-iii-no-stripe-black-dot-drgx-1985-black
It’s the first version of the Mark III. The first few hundred had the leftover IIC+ transformers, the 105 or as in this case the X101 export transformer.

I had one that had the 105 PT, as well as the + and R2 mods. On paper it should be pretty close to a IIC+. But as with all Mark III’s it was a lot brighter and harsher and not as smooth and warm as the IIC+. It still sounded good, but I wouldn’t call it a substitute for a C+, they are still pretty different. I actually think the stock red stripe I had was closer to a C+.

It’s the first version of the Mark III. The first few hundred had the leftover IIC+ transformers, the 105 or as in this case the X101 export transformer.

I had one that had the 105 PT, as well as the + and R2 mods. On paper it should be pretty close to a IIC+. But as with all Mark III’s it was a lot brighter and harsher and not as smooth and warm as the IIC+. It still sounded good, but I wouldn’t call it a substitute for a C+, they are still pretty different. I actually think the stock red stripe I had was closer to a C+.
Thanks for the info .

Back