OU812

Listening to music was an event back then. Had to source the vinyl, or cassette tape, and have a turntable or cassette player to listen to it. No skipping through sections or songs. Drop the needle and sit back to take it all in. Of course I am putting on the "get off of my lawn" t-shirt, but kids these days have no idea what that feeling was like.

^ That, and back then, and to this day, I've always been an album guy. I want the whole experience. Probably like most of you. I have a younger brother in law, where when it is his turn to play music - he just throws on (fill in the blank media) and jumps through songs and rarely lets even one song play all the way through. No thanks.

Some of my best memories were times like buying Motley Crue's "Girls, Girls, Girls" on vinyl before anyone else bought it and taking it into the movie theater with me because I didn't want to leave it anywhere.

Or when I lived in Germany and went home to the States for a visit right when the video for "Welcome to the Jungle" came out. The next day I bought the cassette right when the store opened. When I flew back, I told everyone about this new band and we didn't have MTV and that was the first time they were being introduced to it. Still my favorite album.

A little off topic. My buddy built me a custom circuit board guitar back in 1986. Pic is old. It’s vivid green. Note above fretboard on neck. Same person designed EVH Wolfgang.
There’s more I won’t get into it. But interesting.

Attachments

• E519C453-4F99-46E4-876D-377E977F7703.jpeg
    E519C453-4F99-46E4-876D-377E977F7703.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • 8DBF8498-3DA1-4BC2-8596-4150AE7D24D3.jpeg
    8DBF8498-3DA1-4BC2-8596-4150AE7D24D3.jpeg
    820.4 KB · Views: 48
^ That, and back then, and to this day, I've always been an album guy. I want the whole experience. Probably like most of you. I have a younger brother in law, where when it is his turn to play music - he just throws on (fill in the blank media) and jumps through songs and rarely lets even one song play all the way through. No thanks.
I know that kind of persons too . I love albums too

A little off topic. My buddy built me a custom circuit board guitar back in 1986. Pic is old. It’s vivid green. Note above fretboard on neck. Same person designed EVH Wolfgang.
There’s more I won’t get into it. But interesting.
Remarkably on topic I would say! Cool axe

Thanks for posting. OU812 is admittedly my least favorite VH album but some of the songs rocked, like AFU :yes:

Someone just posted this on FB. Some albums that came out in 1984. Such good times.

NNwqTDq.jpg
Some great records there!
Hail to England fuck yeah!

Still have quite the record collection.

Loved getting a new record as a kid, putting it on the player and reading every word in the liner notes and back of album.
I knew every name on every record at one point in time.

Always loved the entire record over singles.
The only time I wanted a single was when it was a B-side...

My buddies older brother was an athlete and muscle head.
He was a year older than us, bigger, but held back a year and in our grade.
He was a huge VH fan!!!!!

He bought this album when it came out.
Hed make us hold his feet while he would do 1000 sit ups to this album.

Personally, Im not a fan of anything after 5150...

*He'd

So you don't like 'Amsterdam'?

Never heard it. Amsterdam is a song, correct? The one they hated Sammy's lyrics?
Ive heard OU812 a few times when it came out.
Didn't care for any more of that, never listened once to anything after.

I keep to the original six and 5150.
Just my useless opinion...

I love how happy this album is. "Feels So good" is such a fun weird song. I've never been to bothered by cold, commercial production of alot of late 80s stuff. Solos are unreal as always.

Never heard it. Amsterdam is a song, correct? The one they hated Sammy's lyrics?
Ive heard OU812 a few times when it came out.
Didn't care for any more of that, never listened once to anything after.

I keep to the original six and 5150.
Just my useless opinion...
Yeah. The song. The one I posted the YT clip of. It was off of the Balance album. I guess now I'm not even sure why you in this thread. I guess you could just happily jump the fuck out of it. Maybe start a thread about how much you like the 5150 album.

I love how happy this album is. "Feels So good" is such a fun weird song. I've never been to bothered by cold, commercial production of alot of late 80s stuff. Solos are unreal as always.
Yeah. Good point. Not sure if I like this album more or less than F.U.C.K.

Yeah. The song. The one I posted the YT clip of. It was off of the Balance album. I guess now I'm not even sure why you in this thread. I guess you could just happily jump the fuck out of it. Maybe start a thread about how much you like the 5150 album.

Yeah. Good point. Not sure if I like this album more or less than F.U.C.K.
Thread wasn't and isn't about Balance.
That was just your dumb question. :confused:

But keep up the good work!

Last edited:
OU812 is probably my least favorite album, but there are some great highlights:

Tapping intro to AFU
The cool harmonic mute lick at the end of Sucker in a 3 Piece
Mine All Mine

Eddie’s tone wasn’t the best and the solos have a lot of the same licks. There’s no audible bass, obviously. But it’s a good beach vacation album.

This had to be the Marshall; I don’t think he had the SLO yet. The effects mix needed to be taken down a notch.

I agree. 5150 and OU812 both have a general uplifting feel to them that is refreshing given the current state of humanity. It sounds like vacation music. Like Yacht rock with an attitude, and that's a great place to be.

Back