overdrive suggestions

Dyllheaven88

I’m looking for a suggestion to gas my amps gain channel into more of a modern metal area . Was thinking horizon precision drive . Any suggestions opinions ?

So many, really depends on any particular flavor or EQ options you want on it, etc...most will do a good job.
More than the OD pedal, I would highly recommend an EQ pedal (with a frown curve that pushes the mids) then OD and another EQ pedal (in a smile curve that pushes the bass and treble) in the loop. Such a world of difference.

I’ve tried the others mentioned and my favorite pedals for what you’re asking for have been the Wizard Leopard and VFE Merman, but I’d prefer usually for that kinda sound a good rack PQ like an Audioarts 4100, TC 1140 or Furman PQ3. Also, the VFE Standout I had to me smoked the Precision Drive, Fortin 33 and Grind, but was sent packing by my rack PQ’s

Isn’t that more of a distortion pedal ? I’m running two pre amp pedals into the clean currently . I’m looking for an od to gas channel 3 for a bit more . Just for different tone / feel
For Channel 3 high gain no but you could have two more channels running that pedal into the clean. It's a real pre-amp. So you would have channels 4 and 5. If you have KT power tubes in there then you have something not too far off a Diezel VH4. You could try running it into channels 2 and 3 to blend but I wouldn't risk that being a bad mix. Maybe it would be great, who knows. However, boosting Diezel's is also really hit and miss. They usually sound boosted enough. Maybe just an EQ pedal and turn up the level. That can be like a clean boost.

I think the 805 would be the perfect Tube Screamer if it had a little more output level.

As it stands, nothing has beat my MXR Classic Overdrive (same as GT-OD and old Wylde OD) in ZW mode for me. I also like the classics: Boss SD-1 and Ibanez TS808, but I feel the Classic Overdrive is the best of both worlds.

For straight-up Tube Screamers, I prefer the TS808 to the Maxon OD808, personally.

Last edited:
Back