Ozzy live vocals?

alan67

This is a pro-shot video from 2002. I've never heard Ozzy's sound this good through an entire song....well....ever. If you were there, do you think this is what you actually would've heard?

I was at ozzfest 2002 and he sounded good, but i wouldnt say as good as this video, but it left a good impression on me.

Saw him in 92 and he lasted about 10 minutes before walking off and a what seemed like a 30 minute drum solo ensued. His voice was completely shot from the get go. The quality of the vocals just seemed surprising to me when I watched this but I guess anything is possible.........except this...:ROFLMAO:

i saw ozzy a few times back around that period and was surprised each time how good he sounded. he sounded good at the sabbath reunion a few years before this too

I've heard Ozzy sound fantastic live.

Budokan is touched up like any live recording. There are a couple spots where it's noticeable.

Don't care. This DVD was my first true exposure to what a Guitar Hero really is. Zakk Wylde is so killer I was instantly obsessed at 12 years old.

I've heard Ozzy sound fantastic live.

Budokan is touched up like any live recording. There are a couple spots where it's noticeable.

Don't care. This DVD was my first true exposure to what a Guitar Hero really is. Zakk Wylde is so killer I was instantly obsessed at 12 years old.
I loved zakk best live in 89. He was insane af . But budokon is killer too

I saw Ozzy back in the 80s on the Bark At The Moon and No Rest For The Wicked tours and he sounded good but thing that really stuck with me was what a great showman he was. The show I saw in 89 we mostly went to see Anthrax (I was 16 in high school at the time) but by the end of the night, Ozzy's set was awesome and I was blown away seeing Zakk for the first time. Had no idea going into the show what to expect from Zakk and here was this dude not much older than me, drunk as fuck and just ripping.

He is known to have singers tour with him and sing the lead parts from backstage, while he follows along, I know Robert Mason said he did that.

Knowing that, I’d bet everything I own that the vocals aren’t live in pro shot Ozzy videos. Hell, it may be someone else that sounds like a better version of him.

Last edited:
He is known to have singers tour with him and sing the lead parts from backstage, while he follows along, I know Robert Mason said he did that.

Knowing that, I’d bet everything I own that the vocals aren’t live in pro shot Ozzy videos. Hell, it may be someone else that sounds like a better version of him.
I believe that was only during the Ozzmosis tour. They wanted a live backup singer instead of using tracks. Mason said it was mostly replicating the double-tracking Ozz did in the studio, as well as harmonies. The guy being hidden backstage made it look duplicitous.

In the five times I saw Ozzy it was always clear that it was him singing, I heard him fuck up enough to know there wasn't a dude in a tent singing lead. I saw him with Zakk twice and Zakk was doubling quite a bit. The first time I saw him Jason Newsted was on bass and he was singing a lot of backup as well. Adam Wakeman was backing up on the Scream and Black Sabbath tours (he also playing rhythm guitar behind Gus G. on the Sabbath songs, it was a very cool show).

And I know on Gathered in their Masses the vocals were cut together from multiple shows. I was curious and compared Dirty Women to the bootlegs and it was frankensteined line-by-line from two nights, Zeppelin style.

Live & Loud had retouches as well but if I remember right only one song was straight up rerecorded, because Ozzy had dumped a bucket of water on himself and fucked up the mic. Speak of the Devil was all studio vocals, and even then Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was recorded in soundcheck. Just Say Ozzy sounds studio as well.

I always assume any live/dvd footage from that era was re-tracked after the footage was shot. I saw Ozzy with the exact same band in 2001, they sounded good but not that tight.

Ozzfest 2002 in Atlanta had Black Sabbath headlining. We could clearly see a guy behind the stage singing every tune word for word into a microphone. It was hard to tell if that's whose voice was coming through the PA, but it sure looked that way.

This is Oz live for better or more for worse o_O Fairly certain he did not include the very high register tune Over the Mt in future years.
Pitchy,..no idea how he nailed it in the studio. This was on the radio 10x a day cycled with Fling high again. In 83 I was a Jr in HS and worked at a gas station and had a boom box blasted this the entire shift much to many of the patrons chagrin :m17:

Last edited:
Back