Peavey is bringing back the Vypyr series combos

Metalhex

Sorry if this has already been discussed here..

https://peavey.com/Vypyr-Series
I've had the Vip 2 back in 2015 and it was killer, but had shoddy digital controls

The digital bass control stopped working after a few months where it was always set to max and wouldn't move. Eventually after a couple years it just crapped out on me completely, making me go for a Katana. So I sure hope they improved these issues because I know that they are common issues among Vypyr owners.

On the plus side, the 6505 setting was FUCKING BRUTAL!!! It sounded so fucking good, so much better than I can get my Katana to sound. I think I'm gonna pick one up when they're released!

I have a VIP 2 as well, that thing sounded great on the 6534 and 6534 models. I played the shit out of it for a few years until it finally croaked while playing full volume at a drummer's house. Turned it into a 1x12 extension cab and kept it around. The first one I bought went back for replacement the day after I bought it due to the controls going nuts. So yeah, great sounding amps, just bad QC (at least on the VIP 2 models?). Also very cheap and super light, good option for a small amp away from the main rig.

I had a Vypyr 30w 1x12. Yeah I kind of dug that amp. I believe it was one of the early ones. It had the cheesy fangs on it haha. Top end could get a bit harsh, but it had a ton of gain and sounded pretty good for what it was. I never played any of the other versions.

I have an old Vypyr 30 with the cheesy fangs too that I upgraded the speaker on. I wouldn't say it's a brilliant amp, but it's definitely cool for what it is. A lot better than a Spider, IMO, and can easily hang with a Boss Katana. The JSX and 6505 models sound particularly decent.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been discussed here..

https://peavey.com/Vypyr-Series
I've had the Vip 2 back in 2015 and it was killer, but had shoddy digital controls

The digital bass control stopped working after a few months where it was always set to max and wouldn't move. Eventually after a couple years it just crapped out on me completely, making me go for a Katana. So I sure hope they improved these issues because I know that they are common issues among Vypyr owners.

On the plus side, the 6505 setting was FUCKING BRUTAL!!! It sounded so fucking good, so much better than I can get my Katana to sound. I think I'm gonna pick one up when they're released!
I played the 6505 on the vip2. i thought it was really good. I almost bought the vypyr pro. probably a fun amp to mess with.

Back