Pedal buffers?

Phrygian

Hey guys

As some of you know, I'm on a pedal buying spree. My goal is to build a new Trailer Trash board! It's going to have about 15 pedals on it. My question is, should I be looking at buying some sort of buffer? And if so, which do you recommend and where should it be? (first pedal in or last pedal out?)...I'm thinking it goes first, right? I've never used one but I want to make this board just right!

I was looking at this one: http://www.wamplerpedals.com/buffer

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Matt

Phrygian":1vhclnk2 said:
Hey guys

As some of you know, I'm on a pedal buying spree. My goal is to build a new Trailer Trash board! It's going to have about 15 pedals on it. My question is, should I be looking at buying some sort of buffer? And if so, which do you recommend and where should it be? (first pedal in or last pedal out?)...I'm thinking it goes first, right? I've never used one but I want to make this board just right!

I was looking at this one: http://www.wamplerpedals.com/buffer

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Matt

If you're getting a trailer trash board, i think they work with gigrig, just get a pro-14. i was sceptical, but a friend of mine has one and converted me. incredible things.

I don't have any experience with Wampler but if you want THE buffer, buy Pete Cornish one. They are absolutely the best.

guitarslinger":1dupeur1 said:
The buffer to end all buffers.

http://www.this1smyne.com/product_list/pedals/

$39+ shipping, only takes up like 2 cubic inches on your pedal board

It sounds outstanding. :rock: :rock: :rock:

I'll agree with Gene that the This1sMyne micro buffer is hands down, the best bang for the buck out there in the buffer world. Dan is a great guy, and makes a great product, for a great price. The T.1.M. buffer sounds very cable-like, and retains all the lows, and doesn't add any highs. Very simple circuit inside.

Lately, however, I've been LOVING the MXE CAE 401 line driver boost as a buffer. I feel like it has a touch more midrange clarity than the T.1.M buffer. But then again, it costs 4X as much. I like the option of being able to add a decible or two, to beef up a single coil.

Tone Freak Buff Puff ita a buffer and a booster all in one. Also has a high end cut switch to tailor the sound. Where you put the buffer depends on what pedals you are using. Could be at the beginning or end or in the middle some where. I would need a list of the pedals and order to let you know.

I have the This1sMyne buffer. Sounds fine to me, Dan is great to deal with, and see comments above.

Interestingly or provocatively, I read this. I don't know if it's true:

The T1M buffer, isn't really a buffer in the sense that it does not turn the signal into a low impedance one, it's still high impedance, acting more like a unity boost.

I've read good things about the ToneFreak (designed with Dave), Wampler, and I think Suhr is coming out with one.

The only time you'll really need a buffer pedal is if all of your pedals are true bypass.
As soon as you have a single Boss or other buffered pedal in the chain, the effect of the additional buffer is negated.

If you are running EMGs you don't need a buffer.

With passive pups a buffer is not needed most of the time. 99% of pedals act like a buffer. If you have a tuner, it will be buffered. Also, if you are running some type of bypass/looper you won't need a buffer.

Do not put anything between your guitar and the fuzz pedals you have ordered, it will kill the tone of them.

Death by Uberschall":zx8rgdx3 said:
If you are running EMGs you don't need a buffer.

With passive pups a buffer is not needed most of the time. 99% of pedals act like a buffer. If you have a tuner, it will be buffered. Also, if you are running some type of bypass/looper you won't need a buffer.

Do not put anything between your guitar and the fuzz pedals you have ordered, it will kill the tone of them.

Close...... ;)

If the tuner is true bypass, like the Korg Pitchblack, you'll still need a buffer. Many people use the Boss TU2 up front as a buffer, and claim that it works great.

Re: True Bypass loopers - these are essentially TB boxes, so you will still need a buffer up front to drive the signal thru them. Because you'll still, most likely, have 20' of cable going to the looper, and then 20' of cable after it.

IntenseJim":2bt2wmyz said:
I have the This1sMyne buffer. Sounds fine to me, Dan is great to deal with, and see comments above.

Interestingly or provocatively, I read this. I don't know if it's true:

The T1M buffer, isn't really a buffer in the sense that it does not turn the signal into a low impedance one, it's still high impedance, acting more like a unity boost.

I've read good things about the ToneFreak (designed with Dave), Wampler, and I think Suhr is coming out with one.

Haven't heard this about the T.1.M buffer. Very interesting. Where was that information posted?

As with ANY buffer, the best way to test it out is: Get yourself a $40 true bypass looper box. Put the buffer in the send/return loop. When the looper box is off,that's your signal sans buffer. Click it on, and then you can hear what the buffer is doing.

That's how I test mine out, to see which one sounds the best. I usually do two tests: One with a 2' cable going into the loop-box, and a 2' going out to my amp. So that there's no noticeably signal degredation going on when the looper is off. It's just pure straight-jacked cable tone. Then I can see how close to a cable the buffer sounds.

Then I do a test with 20' of cable into my board, and 20' out to my amp - my stage setup. This is where you can REALLY hear the benefits of what a good buffer can do. It should clear up the high end. Be careful though, because some buffers tend to over-hype the treble, and actually cut some bass, which can get annoying and too hi-fi. Kudos to Dave Friedman for putting a high-frequency adjust on that ToneFreak BuffPuff. Brilliant idea. Someone with a big rack setup might need more clarity than someone with a modest pedalboard, so than this buffer can suit all needs.

RockStarNick":3qmb4grj said:
guitarslinger":3qmb4grj said:

I'll agree with Gene that the This1sMyne micro buffer is hands down, the best bang for the buck out there in the buffer world. Dan is a great guy, and makes a great product, for a great price. The T.1.M. buffer sounds very cable-like, and retains all the lows, and doesn't add any highs. Very simple circuit inside.

Lately, however, I've been LOVING the MXE CAE 401 line driver boost as a buffer. I feel like it has a touch more midrange clarity than the T.1.M buffer. But then again, it costs 4X as much. I like the option of being able to add a decible or two, to beef up a single coil.

His stuff is great.

Schaf

RockStarNick":2bh2827o said:
IntenseJim":2bh2827o said:

Interestingly or provocatively, I read this. I don't know if it's true.

Haven't heard this about the T.1.M buffer. Very interesting. Where was that information posted?

A reputable pedalboard wiring person who has done work for pros and amateurs alike told me that. I'll keep it anonymous because I don't want to start a shit storm.

EDIT:
I cc'd Dan on this and his reply is:

yeah, i'm not sure where that rumor came from, its not a boost at all, and its definitely hi input low output (10M input 100k output) so that just doesn't make much sense to me.

I could be wrong, but............

I think you have to lower the impedance to strengthen a signal AND retain unity gain.

I'm going to side with T1M Dan on this one.

I used it last night. It sounded great. :rock:

RACKSYSTEMS":14596v2k said:
Tone Freak Buff Puff ita a buffer and a booster all in one. Also has a high end cut switch to tailor the sound. Where you put the buffer depends on what pedals you are using. Could be at the beginning or end or in the middle some where. I would need a list of the pedals and order to let you know.

Your help would be super appreciated! Here's my list of pedals for the board:

Sonic Research Turbo Tuner
George Dennis Stereo Pan/Volume
CAE Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
BB Preamp
Suhr Riot
Digitech Hardwire CM2 Tube Overdrive
Boss OC-3 Octave
EVH Flanger
MXR Carbon Copy
Boss HR-2 Harmonist
Boss TR-2 Tremolo (might replace or add Catalinbread Semaphore)
DOD FX-20B Phaser (modded with true bypass)
ISP Decimator (once it's fixed...for now I have the NS2 in there)

I may also add a looper strip. If I do this do I need a buffer still?

Also, I've heard that if I have a mix of true bypass and non-true bypass pedals, I may not need a buffer. (like Sixtonoize mentioned)

And thank you to everyone who responded. I'm always impressed and appreciative of your help and responses!! :rock:

RockStarNick":1e6smfig said:
guitarslinger":1e6smfig said:

HUGE :2thumbsup: I am MAJORLY impressed with this pedal - super neutral and super clean. Awesome little shaker. I bought the same model OD/Boost to put in front of my wah, and the OD sucks, however, it will see a slight mod done on it to smooth it over and juice it up a bit. Simple to do...and therefore, 2 buffers - one in the front, one in the end (easy gents, I know what you're gonna say) and the front one will have OD capabilities to make the wah scream.

Super satsified with the CAE/MXR Boost/Linedriver. Awesome stomp.

V.

I've heard good things about the TIM buffer as well. There are a couple of buffer threads going on over at TGP w/ some really good information. IIRC (and I might not be) someone was comparing the TIM buffer to the bigger, more expensive VHT buffer (which I've heard is also very fragile), and the TIM was I think, just as good in the one person's opinion.

The best part about the T1M buffer, is that is is $30 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

With a price that low, why not get one and try it?

Even though I'm not using it currently, it still sounds great, and it's in my gig-bag as a backup for sure!

Back