Pedal for grainier overdrive?

MrFlexx

I'm using a Cornford MK50H II that's a really amazing and totally unforgiving amp which I like. The gain is a bit more polished compared to a Marshall, Friedman and Bogner's even if it's built around the famous Marshall. Sometimes I want more grit to it and would like which pedals you suggest for this task.
I just want to make clear that I don't want a Tube Screamer like tone that squishes to tone and add a mid-hump to it or a pedal that I run on the clean channel. I want to use the overdrive channel and keep the open and extremely dynamic sound of the amp but make it sound more Sykes/Aldrich-like. More aggressive if you will.

Sounds like you might need a RAT pedal or clone/spin off. Something that can get a little hairier and dig in. To be honest, maybe even a BOSS DS-1 with the gain in check and level up a bit. Just to tighten and get some teeth back. If too much then you have to consider the SD-1 or modded one for flatter response and less hump.

Sounds like you might need a RAT pedal or clone/spin off. Something that can get a little hairier and dig in. To be honest, maybe even a BOSS DS-1 with the gain in check and level up a bit. Just to tighten and get some teeth back. If too much then you have to consider the SD-1 or modded one for flatter response and less hump.
I've tried the standard SD-1 buy as most Tube Screamers it flatten the sound. It's a good pedal but not for the task I'm after. A friend suggested a clone of Klon too or the Friedman Golden Pearl. Will try that one tomorrow

You want to boost the amps gain and not use the pedal on it clean right? If so, a RAT seems like a great suggestion.

I'm using a Cornford MK50H II that's a really amazing and totally unforgiving amp which I like. The gain is a bit more polished compared to a Marshall, Friedman and Bogner's even if it's built around the famous Marshall. Sometimes I want more grit to it and would like which pedals you suggest for this task.
I just want to make clear that I don't want a Tube Screamer like tone that squishes to tone and add a mid-hump to it or a pedal that I run on the clean channel. I want to use the overdrive channel and keep the open and extremely dynamic sound of the amp but make it sound more Sykes/Aldrich-like. More aggressive if you will.
If you're up for it, swap the 2.2uf caps at the first two stages to 1uf. You can go .68uf, but that will put you into JCM territory. 1uf is a perfect balance. Once you try them, you doubt you'll go back. Opens the amp up, no pedal(s) needed. If you need schematics, let me know.

Sounds kinda weird but change your filter caps to F&T. I had an 87 2555, with F&T caps; had that ‘grain’ to the gain..sounded very different than any other Jubilee. No mods. Sold it..couple years later a 2204 I bought had the same type of graininess to the gain..again, had F&T caps. Switched them to ARS and no more graininess.

Sounds kinda weird but change your filter caps to F&T. I had an 87 2555, with F&T caps; had that ‘grain’ to the gain..sounded very different than any other Jubilee. No mods. Sold it..couple years later a 2204 I bought had the same type of graininess to the gain..again, had F&T caps. Switched them to ARS and no more graininess.
I've never heard of filtering capacitors having an affect on distortion. Interesting.

I know, it doesn’t make sense but to my ears the tone itself was grainy/gritty, and after swapping them out for ARS caps it sounded normal.
I think you're right. I tried a set of the short F&T caps, but ended-up swapping them for a full size set of ARS. ARS sounded like the original Marshall caps. I don't recall the distortion being affected, but the overall sound was harsh. The attack/release time was faster, with more top-end.

If you're up for it, swap the 2.2uf caps at the first two stages to 1uf. You can go .68uf, but that will put you into JCM territory. 1uf is a perfect balance. Once you try them, you doubt you'll go back. Opens the amp up, no pedal(s) needed. If you need schematics, let me know.
Thx...my amp doctor should be able to make the swap. The schedule would be nice 🙂

Thx...my amp doctor should be able to make the swap. The schedule would be nice 🙂
Enjoy! If you're experiencing popping when you switch between clean and gain, I have a fix for that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.12.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.12.06 PM.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.12.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.12.42 PM.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.13.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.13.03 PM.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.13.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.13.18 PM.png
    53 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.14.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.14.12 PM.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Thx for the schematics. You don't happen to have the schematics for ENGL Fireball 100 and Artist too?
You're welcome. I do not have anything by ENGL. IMO, Cornford amplifiers sound best plugged straight-in, no pedals. Best effects loop next to the Silver Jubilee.

Last edited:
Back