Pedal for grainier overdrive?

I don't know how well it would work with the MK clean channel, but my favorite pedal is the Crowther Double Hot Cake. KOT as just as good, but with an upper-midrange voicing.

You're welcome. I do not have anything by ENGL. IMO, Cornford amplifiers sound best plugged straight-in, no pedals. Best effects loop next to the Silver Jubilee.
Fun that you mentioned the loop of the Silver Jubilee. I've tried telling people since I bought the 25/50 in 1987 that the loop is amazing. My Bogner preamp and modded Ada Mp1 sounded best with that amp. Everyone was asking how I could have that good sound back in the days after every gig.

I'm looking for a overdrive to boost and tighten the tone but to still retain most of the playing dynamics, is there a pedal like that?? I'm looking to use it mostly on the R2 channel of my Mesa Mark IV.

I'm looking for a overdrive to boost and tighten the tone but to still retain most of the playing dynamics, is there a pedal like that?? I'm looking to use it mostly on the R2 channel of my Mesa Mark IV.
KOT would work well for what you're describing. I prefer Boogie amps plugged straight-in.

Last edited:
I'm using a Cornford MK50H II that's a really amazing and totally unforgiving amp which I like. The gain is a bit more polished compared to a Marshall, Friedman and Bogner's even if it's built around the famous Marshall. Sometimes I want more grit to it and would like which pedals you suggest for this task.
I just want to make clear that I don't want a Tube Screamer like tone that squishes to tone and add a mid-hump to it or a pedal that I run on the clean channel. I want to use the overdrive channel and keep the open and extremely dynamic sound of the amp but make it sound more Sykes/Aldrich-like. More aggressive if you will.
I don't find the gain more polished than a Marshall if you run it right.
Try running the far left "Vol" control high at about #9 and the "Gain" control low at about #2 (the higher you run the "Gain" control, the smoother/ more polished the tone) - then adjust your Master Vol to taste.
Youll find this setting more aggressive with plenty of gain, but you can still hit it with an overdrive to push it over the top.

I'm using a Cornford MK50H II that's a really amazing and totally unforgiving amp which I like. The gain is a bit more polished compared to a Marshall, Friedman and Bogner's even if it's built around the famous Marshall. Sometimes I want more grit to it and would like which pedals you suggest for this task.
I just want to make clear that I don't want a Tube Screamer like tone that squishes to tone and add a mid-hump to it or a pedal that I run on the clean channel. I want to use the overdrive channel and keep the open and extremely dynamic sound of the amp but make it sound more Sykes/Aldrich-like. More aggressive if you will.
Buxom Boost, Wylde OD,
MXR Custom Badass OD. These will do it!

KOT would work well for what you're describing. I prefer Boogie amps plugged straight-in.
On the lead channel I prefer plugged straight in too, but R2 is different, it's a more mid gain, marshally channel I suppose you could call it. It really benefits from a boost IMO.

On the lead channel I prefer plugged straight in too, but R2 is different, it's a more mid gain, marshally channel I suppose you could call it. It really benefits from a boost IMO.
As I recall, R2 was a bit different on the Mark IV-A vs Mark IV-B. I preferred the IV-B R2 sound, but preferred the IV-A overall. It's been many years since I've owned/played a Mark IV, so my memory is a bit hazy. I used the gain channel for just about everything. I think the best Mesa/Boogie product I've ever owned was a Quad preamp. One of those "never should have sold it" pieces of gear. The only boost pedal I owned in those days was a TS9. I don't recall if I ever used it with the R2 channel.

Thx all for the replies...I've tried a bunch and found that the Boss GE7 works the best for recording, while the RC Booster along the Boss SD-1 Waza works best for live situations

Thx all for the replies...I've tried a bunch and found that the Boss GE7 works the best for recording, while the RC Booster along the Boss SD-1 Waza works best for live situations
Nothing wrong with the basics.. how do you set the GE-7? fairly flat?

Nothing wrong with the basics.. how do you set the GE-7? fairly flat?
Lower 100/3.2/6.4 like 0,5mm and raise the level to the nearest dot over flat. By lowering the 100hz the amp remains tight when the boost of the Cornford is activated. Otherwise I think it's too flabby. Raising the level gives the amp a lite more bark and make it a tad easier to play solos.

Haven't read all the replies, but working with the title alone??

Xotic BB-Preamp

I don't like dirts or overdrives in general, but this one stomp actually give "grit" without compressing the shit outta the tone. It's a good pedal. Might be worth a look for your purposes.

Peace

Back