Perspective on Mods, Costs, Jose, and Cameron (long post)

scottosan

I want to address these with my perspective from a non-business standpoint and I am going to use real world examples. I'd love to get input from others who obsessively mod amp. The reality is that there is no money in modding or even complete builds unless you charge alot of money. People just cant grasp the concept of what leads up to installing a handful of cheap parts. I will take it a step further and claim that there needs to be a clear separation in definition between a mod and a rebuild. To me, a mod is changing a few parts without changing the amps topology. When you have to rearrange the topology and plan out how to reroute the signal path to accommodate a new circuit and are unable to leverage the existing traces/turrets/eyelets, etc. You are actually doing a rebuild. There are also multiple approaches you can take with modding.

1. You can have a standard mod that you know will affect certain things on an amp and have an understanding that depending on the donor amp there will be varying degrees of tonality based on the components and characteristics of the donor amplifier and once done the amp is what it is. Depending on the type of mod in question some are less sensitive that others may be consistent regardless of the donor amp
  2. You can understand that not all components are created equal, not all iron is created equal, not all tubes are created equal and in general, not all voltages are equal, and most parts have up to a +/- 20% tolerance. Anyone who has owned a handful of older Marshall can attest they all sound different. Taking all of this into consideration, another modder can attempt to compensate for these variances by modding other parts of the circuit.
I feel that there are modders that fall into the first category and others in the 2nd category. I've ran into really smart people that can run circles around me from a science standpoint, but don't have the same ear or taste that I do. You will run into this on various forums where the propeller heads will insist that component composition and brands make no tonal difference because they cant see it on their test equipment. They contend that they can prove it because the can show you the math on their test equipment. I cannot prove them wrong because my ears are not recognized as calibrated test equipment, but the reality is that test equipment is not ears. You cant output a song to test equipment and even tell what song it is. Oscilloscopes, multimeters, frequency analyzers, and data sheets are the equivalent of a blood panel done during your annual physical. They can measure specific levels or specific parameters. They cannot tell if its your blood, my blood, how I look, how you look, etc. You would need DNA level analysis just to predict general attributes and still not be able to visually identify someone from DNA analysis. So, I'm sorry if I don't subscribe that your test equipment can detect the tonal nuances that I and others hear. There is no equivalent of DNA level analysis on these engineers test benches. And while I do agree that I may not be able to pick which amp with specific components is which in a double blind test, I can still hear the differences and the more time spent with each amp becomes more apparent the differences, I also agree that at some point it so subtle that you are splitting hairs.

On to my perspective. I've been repairing, modding and building for 17 years with a focus almost exclusively with Marshal based circuits. I've never offered modding, building, or repair services to the public. That said, I've modded alot of amps that were bought and repaired for personal use and subsequently sold out of necessity or like anyone else to fund other needs and wants. My builds were never from kits and have progressed from single channel circuits with my own layouts and hand drilled boards to complex channel switching amps. I've built countless pedals, buffers, switching systems, etc. To this day I still don't know of anyone that has done a full hand drilled turret CCV clone and I will never do one again. The Ceriatone King Kong doesnt count. The switching is incorrect and I could list a page of issues I've seen in the amp. While I don't know every bit of science around every component of an amp, like transformer winding etc, and some of the more complex in the weeds topics, I am proficient enough that I can quickly troubleshoot and repair just about anything I've had on my bench. I can trace out an amp pretty quickly and even more complex amps, I have the schematics pretty much memorized and can implement or identify from memory. But at the end of the day, the more I learn about electronics the dumber I feel.

The Jose....or the Cameron Jose....

This circuit and everything that surrounds it seems to be a topic of discussion. I personally have obsessed over this circuit for few years now. I've heard/played 3 Camerons in person, and have been inside 2 CCVs and a HG Jose. I've also been fortunate enough to have alot of information shared with me from others that have spent time inside these amps. That said, it's easy to conclude that there is no Cameron schematic. With the exception of the Brad era amps that had standard components, none of Marks amps or mods are exactly the same. There are things the you see as his signature "go to" values, but never a mod that is an exact copy of another. So, why the different values and the deviations? Many will say that he just has a bucket of parts and he uses whatever he can, but I feel that he is a circuit tweaker to OCD levels. This circuit is the most sensitive circuit I have ever worked. You cannot just cookie cutter this mod and have it sound Cameron. I have a baseline that I always start with and it always starts out with vary noticeable tonal differences depending on the components or the donor amps. The plate voltage, iron, components all have a huge impact on the tonal result of this circuit. Again, far more that any other circuit that I've worked. Plate voltage/B+ is critical. You tone stack becomes more sensitive the higher your B+. Your B+ affects the levels of your signal, which in turn affects how much audible clipping a given clipper value has. It also affects how much negative feedback comes off your transformer. Because much of Marks mods are in the preamp, power amp, and NFB, you can see how the variances in the donor amp can have a cascading effect on the outcome of a baseline mod. And because of the cascading shift Mark leaving some potentiometers stock on one amp but changing the taper or creating a custom taper on pots in another amp to get to sound, react, and feel like his sound. I have spent 100's of hours tweaking this circuit with quite a bit of difference components, transformers, and donor amps and have been frustrated to no end on the inconstancy of the outcome of the baseline mods between amp to amp. Over time, I feel that I've gotten closer and closer, but the level of effort to get to that point is literally like starting over again for every new donor amp. It is literally that sensitive to the sum of all parts. I've had to change tapers of pots and change downstream components to get amps with my own baseline circuit to behave the way I want them. If simply left with the baseline circuit, the results would be all over the place.

That said, I suspect that aside from whatever personal stuff going on in Mark's life and his lack of business acumen, I feel that he is likely obsessed with this circuit worse than I ever could be. As a result, what would seem like a several hour mod to most, turns into obsessive tweaking to get the tone as close as possible to the 1 magical sounding donor amp that had "it". I feel he has a talent and an obsession that is not conducive to business success. And while I don't condone the end result to the customer, I can imagine how he could have ended up with untouched amps stacked up in a storage facility. My most recent Voodoo V-Plex mod has been the worst for me. I have spent no less that 30 hours tweaking this amp and while I have it to a point that it's the closest I've gotten, its the furthest departure from any of my previous work and I struggle with things that work well on this amp didn't on others or vice versa. It becomes an inner struggle of making it sound like what your used to with previous mods or pushing the envelope knowing that you should do things a bit different to take advantage of things you current donor amp do different or better. So that's the dilemma. Do a canned mod and accept that its just going to be different or tweak everything you can with constant A/B and part swaps trying to make what is really a different amp sound like that reference tone. Part of me believes that Mark has a hard time just rubber stamping these mods to a point where its cost prohibitive and toxically obsessive the level of effort to get every mod consistent. Add in the business and personal side, its not sustainable model to many can pull off.

I conclude that many of Marks mods are special and what sets him apart is that he doesn't rubber stamp these. There are alot of options out there for modders that will do their mod, but I question if that mod can be done by others with similar results to the level as Marks mods. And you'll never get people to understand that you have to put a price on your time and if the end result is 10-15 parts costing less than $50 not including planning, ordering, shipping, charges, taxes, the fact that you spent a week or weeks tweaking to get to the end result of those final components cheap components is not conceivable nor is it easy to quantify from a cost standpoint. Again, this is not a defense of Mark, but rather some perspective. I suspect that David or Shea on this forum are not getting rich off their mods nor or they even generating enough profit once they factor in their time to survive on that alone.

That's kind of the whole point of my post. If you really want to get the most of modding a donor amp, it's simply not worth your time as the OCD modder type.

Great post, and you certainly put it in perspective. Do you feel that a new production amp, let’s say a JCM800 RI, that is produced consistently as opposed to random donor amps, could be successfully rubber stamped, with OCD level results? I understand that there may still be slight variances, so I’m assuming not.

Great post, and you certainly put it in perspective. Do you feel that a new production amp, let’s say a JCM800 RI, that is produced consistently as opposed to random donor amps, could be successfully rubber stamped, with OCD level results? I understand that there may still be slight variances, so I’m assuming not.
I would say that transformers are more consistent for current runs than there were back in the day. There were alot of transformers used over the years and alot of component brand changes as well. As a modder you get what is sent to you. I've heard modders mention they have favorite era marshalls to work on. Assuming they've been well maintained and all original certainly helps with consistency. I think Shea's approach is the he chooses his own amps to mod and then sells them vs. just taking in whatever is out there. I think that is a sane approach. I have my preferences as well.

I agree with your post. Mark is what I call an artist. He can’t keep painting the same picture when every canvas is different. If he was able to pump out the same circuit like Soldano has done for 30+ years, Mark would be a very rich man.

I’m a big tinker fuck and have messed with everything in my life. I hate modding amps since I never stop tinkering. Never. The JCA20 mods I shared have been since changed. Not because I wasn’t happy with it, but because I can’t stop. This is why I couldn’t go into business modding amps. I’d never finish and I couldn’t ship out an amp I didn’t feel sounded it’s best.

Tinkering is why I don’t own an Axe-FX. I’d be tinkering more than playing. With my CCV or stock Marshall (with a pedal out front) I just plug and play.

I can’t explain enough to people that the CCV is really just a Jose with more refined filtering ,lots of features/switches and a clean channel. Not something that is easily done even with a PCB and once on the PCB, much harder to tweak. You have Friedman that releases a bunch of amps that are basically the same circuit with a few tweaks and can get people to buy multiple and then you have have the the CCV that puts a lot of similar options into a single package so you don’t have to buy 3 similar amps. It’s really a versatile circuit. The later BE/Deluxe took some of those ideas.

It’s fun, it’s stressful, it’s more fun. My venture has been really rewarding to me so far, I feel pretty blessed to have had so many great amps sent to me to mod, I think most of us especially members here would consider themselves extremely ocd. I just completed a 90s plexi RI with an added stage and handwired fx loop, reworked grounding and lots of voicing options, which cost him 850$ pp gift plus shipping to and from Canada. For context I probably spent 20 hours inside the amp cutting zero corners and the end result was something I’d love to own myself. I’m still working a full time medical job, the one that bought me my house , but the amp gig is much more rewarding and I would love to do it full time, which I’m planning to do.

I think the story below applies.

Charles Steinmetz was known as the “Electrical Wizard” at General Electric during the early days of the twentieth century. On one occasion after his retirement when the other engineers at GE were utterly baffled by the breakdown of a complex machine, they asked Steinmetz if he would come back and pinpoint the problem. Steinmetz spent several minutes walking around the machine, then took a piece of chalk and made a cross mark on one particular piece of equipment. To their amazement, it turned out to be the precise location of the breakdown.

A few days later GE received a bill from Steinmetz for $10,000, a staggering sum in those days for a few moments’ work. They returned the bill to him with a request that he itemize it. He did:

Making an X $1.00

Knowing where to put it… $9,999.00

It’s fun, it’s stressful, it’s more fun. My venture has been really rewarding to me so far, I feel pretty blessed to have had so many great amps sent to me to mod, I think most of us especially members here would consider themselves extremely ocd. I just completed a 90s plexi RI with an added stage and handwired fx loop, reworked grounding and lots of voicing options, which cost him 850$ pp gift plus shipping to and from Canada. For context I probably spent 20 hours inside the amp cutting zero corners and the end result was something I’d love to own myself. I’m still working a full time medical job, the one that bought me my house , but the amp gig is much more rewarding and I would love to do it full time, which I’m planning to do.
I have to laugh when I read how mojo tone markets their kits. They say 7-8 hours which I think is possible not counting planning. That said, doing a clean build is more often than not easier to do than reworking an existing circuit. $850 for 20 hours may seem decent if your working for someone else, but add on business overhead and losing company subsidized benefits you end up doing it because you enjoy it not to get rich.

I think the story below applies.

Charles Steinmetz was known as the “Electrical Wizard” at General Electric during the early days of the twentieth century. On one occasion after his retirement when the other engineers at GE were utterly baffled by the breakdown of a complex machine, they asked Steinmetz if he would come back and pinpoint the problem. Steinmetz spent several minutes walking around the machine, then took a piece of chalk and made a cross mark on one particular piece of equipment. To their amazement, it turned out to be the precise location of the breakdown.

A few days later GE received a bill from Steinmetz for $10,000, a staggering sum in those days for a few moments’ work. They returned the bill to him with a request that he itemize it. He did:

Making an X $1.00

Knowing where to put it… $9,999.00
I love it.

Also great post,
I have to laugh when I read how mojo tone markets their kits. They say 7-8 hours which I think is possible not counting planning. That said, doing a clean build is more often than not easier to do than reworking an existing circuit. $850 for 20 hours may seem decent if your working for someone else, but add on business overhead and losing company subsidized benefits you end up doing it because you enjoy it not to get rich.

Yea that’s very true, the cost of constant communication has been the most taxing on me, the more amps I do the more emails I get, it’s reached a point where it had overwhelmed my life, I lost a good relationship last year because i would work a 10 hour shift and come home to work on amps until bed and then work on them all weekend. I have a ton of respect for Friedman and Cameron, the Jose lineage is clearly defined through them.

Also I hate to add this but it’s totally true, there’s not a single Cameron clone you can purchase on the market that’s correct, the power sections and bias supply are wrong.

Good post! I have suspected that his mods were just that, like a recipe you start with and then have to add spices or garnish it to make it taste just right. Takes way too long to do anything mass produced because of this unless you can get things close enough in spec to make it worth your while. It begs the question though, are Friedman's BE's not more or less consistent ? If they are the same revision, are they not essentially close enough?

With all the mods out there, I am glad I am a JMP/Plexi pushed with an OD guy. Gets me to where I want consistently across any similar style amps regardless of component value drift or other. JHS Bonsai and done.

I visited his place a few times and brought an amp or two I built and he was nice enough to have a look and give me some pro tips. He certainly knows what he's doing, but it's all a bit... disorganized. I played all the amps he had on hand at the time and I honestly wasn't blown away. Except for one. Some sort of Frankenstein project amp he'd been tinkering with for years. That amp wow'd me. Much better than any of the other Jose mods or CCV or Cali or whatever. I offered to buy it on the spot but he said no haha.

As far as what it costs to build an amp... well a typical Jose-style JCM800 ground-up build is like $1,000 - $1,800 in parts alone if you're not buying in bulk/wholesale. Then what... 20-40 hours of labor. What's your time worth? That's the question. And it's not just the time to build, but the time you spent over the years learning how to do it. What does a typical amp tech charge for a bench fee? $65/hr? That's $1,300 - $2,600 for labor. So you're looking at $4,400 for a one-off build from the ground up if you actually want a profit.

Nobody is getting rich building guitar amps.

Good post! I have suspected that his mods were just that, like a recipe you start with and then have to add spices or garnish it to make it taste just right. Takes way too long to do anything mass produced because of this unless you can get things close enough in spec to make it worth your while. It begs the question though, are Friedman's BE's not more or less consistent ? If they are the same revision, are they not essentially close enough?

With all the mods out there, I am glad I am a JMP/Plexi pushed with an OD guy. Gets me to where I want consistently across any similar style amps regardless of component value drift or other. JHS Bonsai and done.
They are consistent, but CCV is quite a bit more complex and a lot more options. from what I read, they struggled with the PCB boards on the Brad run which I think caused delays really affected the assembly time to make it cost effective. My BE clone was infinitely easier than my CCV clone. At no price would I ever make one again.

The Brad amp boards are upside down, which made everything difficult. They were trying to keep people from stealing the circuit. It’s been noted before that after the Cameron collaboration the Friedman amps gained a few things...

The Brad amp boards are upside down, which made everything difficult. They were trying to keep people from stealing the circuit. It’s been noted before that after the Cameron collaboration the Friedman amps gained a few things...
Structure switch, response switch quickly come to mind. All of a Friedman’s schematics have been shared yet his business is great.

I visited his place a few times and brought an amp or two I built and he was nice enough to have a look and give me some pro tips. He certainly knows what he's doing, but it's all a bit... disorganized. I played all the amps he had on hand at the time and I honestly wasn't blown away. Except for one. Some sort of Frankenstein project amp he'd been tinkering with for years. That amp wow'd me. Much better than any of the other Jose mods or CCV or Cali or whatever. I offered to buy it on the spot but he said no haha.

As far as what it costs to build an amp... well a typical Jose-style JCM800 ground-up build is like $1,000 - $1,800 in parts alone if you're not buying in bulk/wholesale. Then what... 20-40 hours of labor. What's your time worth? That's the question. And it's not just the time to build, but the time you spent over the years learning how to do it. What does a typical amp tech charge for a bench fee? $65/hr? That's $1,300 - $2,600 for labor. So you're looking at $4,400 for a one-off build from the ground up if you actually want a profit.

Nobody is getting rich building guitar amps.
that example is selling direct too. Stores pay maybe 60% of retail. So if you were using a retailer that’s significantly less margin

Back