Perspective

BeZo

This is the second time this year, and the third time since we were all quarantined without cause, that I've provided audio for a filmed performance at our rehearsal space(s). One was a live stream for the Super Satan Show (check him out on Facebook, He's glorious) and twice (with both bands) for a local show called 13 Minutes by Paul Goon. I've also recorded a demo for my sludge band and an Album for my main band. Here's where I get fucked up.

I always mix to Artist Perspective; That is, where all of the audio is panned to where the artist would hear it. Right is stage right, left is stage left, and the drums are panned like you are sitting at the kit. This is ass backwards when video is involved though. For video, it should be mixed to the Audience Perspective. I got burned on the live set my sludge band did because of this. Luckily, I caught it this time. It got me thinking though.

Am I wrong for wanting to produce music from the Artist Perspective? Does anyone else notice these things on albums? It seems a subjective choice the producer makes, and there isn't a correct answer until video is involved. Should I be producing in Audience Perspective going forward?

The audio in a video should match what the viewer is seeing. If the bass is on the viewer's left, that's where they should be hearing it, etc...

If it's just audio, I don't think it matters.

Back