Pickup help. Luxxbucker Hot to much High End

What is the EQ curve on these -- bumped mids, scooped mids? Are they similar to any Duncan?
Hmm, that is a tough question because the 3 of the same pickup don't sound the same to me. In my main swamp ash Luxxtone, the Luxxbucker Hot sounds lower output with a mismatched coil, VH 1984 kind of vibe. I have another swamp ash Luxxtone in which that same pickup has a lot less of that vibe. The mids seem more prominent. Same results in an alder super strat.

Sorry, I'm not much help here. I just know I love how all three guitars sound.

Got the new to me Luxxtone El Machete and damn are they easy to play. This one has the Vintage C neck and works better for me then the El Machete profile. It’s a little fatter. It is a little bright but not to bad. I am going to live with it for awhile. Maybe over the holidays I will measure the Pot and see where it’s at. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Matt

I'm not sure they would wind a custom shop SH-6N any different than the standard model. I guess one could ask for it to be made to the 1970's Seymourizer II specs and see what they say, as far as I know they have all the old specs of every pickup they ever made in the custom shop. I had a nice discussion with MJ when I ordered my Allan Holdsworth wind they did for Jake E Lee and she pulled up the specs while I was on the phone with her and confirmed what they were and then I ordered it. Or you could just pick up a SH-6N to see if you liked it enough to invest in a custom shop build or just look for an old one. I know the magnets and baseplates with buytrate bobbins were different back then just how much different is up for speculation.
So glad to see the SH-7/SH-6n mentioned, I've been championing that pickup as a great bridge pickup for a long time now. So many people don't remember the Seymourizer these days it seems. I've tried recommending to people that they put the SH-6n in the bridge position so many times and people seem to think it's an odd choice not realizing that's what the pickup was initially intended to be used for! While I appreciate why they decided to pair it up with the Distortion as it's neck pickup, I actually prefer it's tone in the bridge personally.

So glad to see the SH-7/SH-6n mentioned, I've been championing that pickup as a great bridge pickup for a long time now. So many people don't remember the Seymourizer these days it seems. I've tried recommending to people that they put the SH-6n in the bridge position so many times and people seem to think it's an odd choice not realizing that's what the pickup was initially intended to be used for! While I appreciate why they decided to pair it up with the Distortion as it's neck pickup, I actually prefer it's tone in the bridge personally.
It's been a hidden gem for alot of years IMHO........I didn't realize how good it was until I started swapping to other pickups like the custom, custom custom, distortion and I kept coming back to the Seymourizer II, it was just dumb luck that it was in the box of pickups.

Can anyone tell me what the Luxxtone old school is like? Any comparison to other pups? I have also heard Luxxtone will do other after marketer pups. Which is interesting. Cheers!

Got the new to me Luxxtone El Machete and damn are they easy to play. This one has the Vintage C neck and works better for me then the El Machete profile. It’s a little fatter. It is a little bright but not to bad. I am going to live with it for awhile. Maybe over the holidays I will measure the Pot and see where it’s at. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Matt
I appreciate you sharing, working on a build right now with Jerry. Going El Machete, but wanting to make sure I get the neck specs right for what I like, so you sharing on the neck was super helpful! Cheers!

Matt
I just put together you sold a bullseye… what was your thoughts on the guitar, thinking about going with one with Luxxtone. Likes and dislikes. Cheers!

Bullseye was a great guitar! Nothing wrong at all. The bridge pickup had a little to much high end but so does my new one. I think it’s just how I hear things. I wanted a Hardtail, and roasted Birdseye maple neck, and found the one below. The Bullseye had the El Machete neck profile (slightly thinner) and it was great. The new one has the Vintage C profile and I personally like it just a little more. Jerry builds one hell of a guitar.

Matt

Attachments

• 4EA2D590-1324-407E-A3A0-9057134AFB13.jpeg
    4EA2D590-1324-407E-A3A0-9057134AFB13.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 5C0A0AB6-E9F7-48BD-A4D4-FB3B20CFDB13.jpeg
    5C0A0AB6-E9F7-48BD-A4D4-FB3B20CFDB13.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 5D988431-2B4B-44D7-B8BB-B640844D2258.jpeg
    5D988431-2B4B-44D7-B8BB-B640844D2258.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 22
  • D3F63702-3924-4A72-A573-7C21763D5889.jpeg
    D3F63702-3924-4A72-A573-7C21763D5889.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 0AC270BF-5BC4-475A-B8ED-109FF866D3ED.jpeg
    0AC270BF-5BC4-475A-B8ED-109FF866D3ED.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 30
Can anyone tell me what the Luxxtone old school is like? Any comparison to other pups? I have also heard Luxxtone will do other after marketer pups. Which is interesting. Cheers!
If you custom order one thru Jerry I’m sure he will use whatever pickups you want. I think he is currently 12 months out. Pickups are a lot like speakers... you’ve gotta find what works for you. The Old School is Alnico 5 around 8k output I think. The Luxxbucker Hot is Alnico 5 around 14k

Bullseye was a great guitar! Nothing wrong at all. The bridge pickup had a little to much high end but so does my new one. I think it’s just how I hear things. I wanted a Hardtail, and roasted Birdseye maple neck, and found the one below. The Bullseye had the El Machete neck profile (slightly thinner) and it was great. The new one has the Vintage C profile and I personally like it just a little more. Jerry builds one hell of a guitar.

Matt

It's the Joker's pin stripe suit. I like that!

Back