Please delete this old thread

MarcoR

Yea, horrible support, especially after Bruce personally replied to you in your other post. You probably could have just PMed him and got this resolved. Sounds like the issue was more with GC Pro Coverage anyway. Sorry your amp failed but these bash Egnater posts are tiresome.

MarcoR":5v8h1xcy said:
Yea, horrible support, especially after Bruce personally replied to you in your other post. You probably could have just PMed him and got this resolved. Sounds like the issue was more with GC Pro Coverage anyway. Sorry your amp failed but these bash Egnater posts are tiresome.

Agreed. I have contacted Ian Egnater numerous times and he has always been prompt and helpful.

Well, something finally happened. I contacted GC Pro Coverage and it turns out they lied to me. My apologies to Egnater about service. I took GC at their word, thinking since I paid for this coverage I would get service. Apparently, the Pro Coverage contact center has to call their repair center to find out about repairs. I sent them amp to them three weeks ago and when I called this morning, the repair center told the call center to tell me they sent it to Egnater on Nov. 21. After my call to Pro Coverage there, someone in their repair center called Nate at Egnater and said they would be sending it. This I found out in an email from Nate. I called Pro Coverage again and they said they were waiting on a shipping label and authorization from Nate. To his credit, and again my apologies, Nate is calling Pro Coverage for me to find out what the hell is going on.

As to my "other post" on this problem, yes Bruce posted a suggestion. I did what he suggested and replied back. If you check that post there was no response from Bruce. If I have to PM the owner of the company to get something taken care of, that would be a first for me as a consumer. Call me crazy, but customers shouldn't have to move heaven and earth, track down company owners, and beg for something to be done...on a product that is under warranty no less (both Egnater original warranty and Guitar Center extended Pro Coverage). Perhaps Bruce could have asked ME to PM him, or heaven forbid someone pick up a phone.

BTW. This is the second Egnater Renegade head from Guitar Center. I had to return the first one after two weeks when it sounded like it was about to blow up. This second head lasted about 18 months. My Marshall JVM is doing great, but I bought the Egnater to get a "marshall type" tone and it's easier to lug around (with the 2x12 tourmaster cab). Sorry if I'm bashing, but my equipment puts food on the table, it ain't just for fun. Let's see what happens now that Nate at Egnater is now in the loop on this. I'll reserve final judgement on their service until then. Again, apologies to Egnater, but I was lied to by Guitar Center.

Waynel":23hx93ox said:
Well, something finally happened. I contacted GC Pro Coverage and it turns out they lied to me. My apologies to Egnater about service. I took GC at their word, thinking since I paid for this coverage I would get service. Apparently, the Pro Coverage contact center has to call their repair center to find out about repairs. I sent them amp to them three weeks ago and when I called this morning, the repair center told the call center to tell me they sent it to Egnater on Nov. 21. After my call to Pro Coverage there, someone in their repair center called Nate at Egnater and said they would be sending it. This I found out in an email from Nate. I called Pro Coverage again and they said they were waiting on a shipping label and authorization from Nate. To his credit, and again my apologies, Nate is calling Pro Coverage for me to find out what the hell is going on.

As to my "other post" on this problem, yes Bruce posted a suggestion. I did what he suggested and replied back. If you check that post there was no response from Bruce. If I have to PM the owner of the company to get something taken care of, that would be a first for me as a consumer. Call me crazy, but customers shouldn't have to move heaven and earth, track down company owners, and beg for something to be done...on a product that is under warranty no less (both Egnater original warranty and Guitar Center extended Pro Coverage). Perhaps Bruce could have asked ME to PM him, or heaven forbid someone pick up a phone.

BTW. This is the second Egnater Renegade head from Guitar Center. I had to return the first one after two weeks when it sounded like it was about to blow up. This second head lasted about 18 months. My Marshall JVM is doing great, but I bought the Egnater to get a "marshall type" tone and it's easier to lug around (with the 2x12 tourmaster cab). Sorry if I'm bashing, but my equipment puts food on the table, it ain't just for fun. Let's see what happens now that Nate at Egnater is now in the loop on this. I'll reserve final judgement on their service until then. Again, apologies to Egnater, but I was lied to by Guitar Center.
I gigged my Renegade with no problems- gig with that JVM and no back-up, you may go hungry [/quote]Again, apologies to Egnater, but I was lied to by Guitar Center.

I would never, ever, buy any extended warranty coverage of any kind from anybody for anything. They are the biggest waste of money for consumers. That's why companies like them- They get extra money that they will in all likelihood never have to do anything about. Better just to get in direct touch with the company. In most cases you will get at least acceptable service. The one or two times my Egnaters have needed some work I never had any issues.

To the original OP,
I can sympathise and associate with you on your situation.... I too have a recently GC purchased Renegade Head currently out in CA for Warranty repair. An issue with the Mid pot ( channel 1 ) has come up on mine within the first few months of owning. ( Puchased new ). Traded in my Very well liked and impressed with, Rebel 20 head wanting to upgrade in volume and features. Never had a technical issue with that little tone beast... even spoke with Bruce a couple of years back on a couple of occasions for advice on tube swaps. So, I'm holding out hope that even with what seems like a recent "rash" of technical/ quality / Company backlogs,... that the problems get righted/ and addressed in a timely fassion.
To Len R. and Marco.... Don't look at postings like this as "slamming"... We "rockers" as an internet community come to places such as RigTalk to share our experiences with a company's product. In the hopes of good research, lessons, and advice....Negative and positive. Just because a situation hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it isn't out there... And if it wasn't ever written or spoken about , then those type of problems just keep continuing and we all become de-sensitized to the fact of " Oh, well... that's just the way it is with this type of product"...
Just an observation, Not a big preach session, well....maybe a little... Definitly no disrespect to either of you... let me say up front...
Everyone ,... have a Great one...
DJ

this scares me away from egnater, I think GC is to blame too but, this kind of stuff seems to be comming up a lot. The egnater guys seem like nice people but, that dosen;t get it done. I hope its just growing pains. I can't afford the extended warranty coverage (that's why I started checking out egnater stuff (less expensive) might as well just spend the extra money up front and get a mesa or fender. also I never use to worry about the china thing but I think its time we start Making stuff in the USA. Things are bad out there stuff made in china is making it worse IMHO.

jamme61":28ss3t8x said:
this scares me away from egnater, I think GC is to blame too but, this kind of stuff seems to be comming up a lot. The egnater guys seem like nice people but, that dosen;t get it done. I hope its just growing pains. I can't afford the extended warranty coverage (that's why I started checking out egnater stuff (less expensive) might as well just spend the extra money up front and get a mesa or fender. also I never use to worry about the china thing but I think its time we start Making stuff in the USA. Things are bad out there stuff made in china is making it worse IMHO.

Really not understanding what you are scared about. Seems pretty clear GC screwed this up huge.

Waynel":1bnqzand said:
Purchased an Egnater Renegade at Guitar Center a year ago. Gigged on a regular basis with it. Problem came up: I was getting a clear, strong singal from the clean channel, but no audible signal when switching to distorted channel. Changed EVERY tube with tubes that checked out good. Still nothing. Called Egnater, they had no answer. When I bought the amp at GC, I also bought their "Pro Coverage" which promised to fix anything wrong with it. This special "Pro" coverage was intended for working muscians like me so we could get it back fixed and promptly.

Got an "RA" number from GC Pro Coverage. They sent me a pre-paid UPS label, and I sent it about three weeks ago. As of this morning, I hadn't heard anything from anyone. Fearing my Renegade simply vanished, I called Pro Coverage. They told me they didn't know what was wrong and sent it to Egnater on November 21. The nice lady at Pro Coverage called Egnater for me (while I was holding) and told me Egnater said they were so swamped that they hadn't had time to look at it. I got a direct number to Egnater service and, of course, had to leave a message.

During this whole process, I was never contacted by Guitar Center about the whereabouts of my amp. Egnater gets the amp from GC and no one ever contacted me at Egnater. They are "too swamped" to even contact a customer. Being too swamped is not a good sign for a repair department. Speaks ill of their design if their repair techs are "swamped."

I am an old school guitarist, always sticking with Fender, Marshall or Peavey. Thought I'd try Egnater, you know, give the "little guy" a shot. Too swamped? For heaven's sake, OK, but can't someone pick up the phone or at least email and tell a customer where he/she stands? In my 30 years, I've struggled with Marshall service (non-existent, England, enough said). I've had moderate success with Fender service. And my best experience with service is that little Meridian, Mississippi company called Peavey. That company will even take the time to build you a footswitch that is 20 years out of date and send it to you postage paid. Egnater? Service department swamped, no customer relations. Not even an email. Looks like their products and customer service are on the same level. Bruce, I know your history, and why you designed your own amp. My man, you've got get some top-notch engineers to rework you design, and at the very least, clean house in customer service and get some professional people. Your amps sound incredible, but don't hold up and it looks like the only person who gives a s--- about your company is you.

Since Egnater really didn't so anything wrong, maybe you should consider removing this post if possible so Egnater is not getting negative press they don't deserve

Audiowonderland quote :"Since Egnater really didn't so anything wrong, maybe you should consider removing this post if possible so Egnater is not getting negative press they don't deserve"
+1 !And maybe edit the title as well...

what about the china thing? Anyone out there lose their job yet? Can egnater make some of this stuff in the USA? :doh:

Let me start by saying,
It sucks that the gc store sold a useless warranty,
And that your going through this.
IMHO if something puts food on the table, you want to take
It to a local tech to fix so that the turnaround time is
exponentially less.
Sweetwater gave me 2 yrs free, for the warranty, but they
Have their staff techs to work on equip. Even then I take that
with a grain of salt over my shoulder.
You need 2 great amps as a gigging musician, one for backup.
All amp manufacturers have their issues.
My friend just bought a two rock with minor issues out of the
box, microphonic tube and an annoying buzz, issues that
Were resolved.
So just hang in there, I'm sure the folks at egnater will
Make things right.

jamme61":36cpd5fd said:
what about the china thing? Anyone out there lose their job yet? Can egnater make some of this stuff in the USA? :doh:

They already do. They produce their hand wired mod line in the US. Its just at a different price point.

Yeah, don't know how many people realize it, but just as there are two different places where Egnater amps are manufactured (Detroit vs. China), there are different customer support lines for each. I've had excellent support on all of my USA-made Egnater amps over the past 5 years. Perhaps I paid for it (up front), but it's been worth it.

--B

a couple of years ago the china thing didn't bother me. Now things have gotten even worse (US economy ) I'm sick of sending money and jobs to people who hate us. I don't know what we can do about it? Egnater needs to make his amps in china to compete ( I don't blame him). My uncle worked in the Ford factory, made a good living but, those jobs are all gone. I think it will have to get worse before it gets better. Some of the newer, made in china amps, are stating to get up there in price. I wish I could bond with a mesa boogie (well made in the USA) sorry for the rant.

jamme61":2h2te0ue said:
a couple of years ago the china thing didn't bother me. Now things have gotten even worse (US economy ) I'm sick of sending money and jobs to people who hate us. I don't know what we can do about it? I think it will have to get worse before it gets better.

Stop fixating on China. Take a look around your house - probably 75% of the consumer durables you own (e.g., TV's, computers, kitchen appliances, laundry appliances, furniture, etc.) are made overseas. Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia, Korea, China, etc.

Don't blame Egnater for the loss of jobs - blame yourself. You have been sending money overseas for years.

I have nothing but good things to say about Egnater service.

Clearly, we all are here for the sharing of info and experiences re: Egnater amps whether those are good or bad.

I do find it interesting that people are so interested in coming here at the drop of a hat to proclaim how bad Egnater service sucks before they even have the whole story or even know who's at fault. This thread is a good example. It seems to read like this: EGNATER SERVICE SUCKS!!! ...oops, I guess it was GC's fault and I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions about Egnater...

I get being frustrated over new gear that breaks. I don't necessarily think that Egnater has handled all dimensions of the service without flaw - that is very difficult to do. But by the same token, people seem to have this, "Oh, here we go~!!" attitude about any Egnater product that needs service. The posts complaining about it take on a "told you so" undercurrent that is not there with other manufacturers.

And I'm still trying to understand why people have never complained about killing American jobs when British amps are purchased. But I do respect the general desire to keep jobs on this continent. The global economy is still evolving though. For better or for worse.

I won't comment on most of the things in here, since it appears that it is already established that GC screwed up, and the China topic has been discussed and beaten to death at this point. All of our direct e-mail addresses are pretty easy to find on here and other forums if you do have an issue, but for those who don't have them

Ian@egnater.com is mine
bruce@egnater.com is Bruce Egnater's
Nate@egnateramps.com is our head of customer service
alex@egnateramps.com is another one of our customer service guys you are able to contact

Please don't hesitate to e-mail the proper person directly, if you are having an issue. We don't want people being mad that they aren't getting taken care of, but we are a growing company and occasionally e-mails or calls are missed. If you don't hear from someone within 48 hours, please e-mail directly instead of waiting and being angry.

The china thing has been beaten to death sorry. These are American amp Mfg.'s having their amps built for them in china, not the same as buying a Marshall made in England. As the economy tanks, how do American manufactures sleep at night (people are losing their jobs, houses, can't feed their family's) and we send jobs overseas? Agree, global thing has to work it self out. just wish I would have stayed in school longer. See you in Wal-Mart.

I've already said my peace on some of these issues already previously in this post and others, but wanted to share an update on the issue with my Renegade Head that I had sent out to service to California.
Let me state here, than a BIG Thnak You goes out to IAN for his promptness at answering my direct E-mail to him on inquires of repair status. I will be sending him a seperate little note telling him this.
The amp has been back home ,fixed , and performing well now. Totally happy that I did not give up on this Brand, make, and model seeing as when it has the right tube mix, biased right, and throw in the speaker change I made..... On both channels it sounds like a dream!!!
Let me also note,... the amp was sent out at beginning of Nov..... took a little prodding and Extra E-mails, but was repaired and back to me within a month. Pretty good turn-around I'd say considering the time of the season.
So,... I'm looking at this experience with the cup at half full and satisfied with the end result.
DJ

Back