Please update me on the past year of amplifiers

MistaGuitah

I haven't kept up with guitar gear for over a year. Every now and then I catch ear of something here and there but just haven't had the time or money to bother getting interested. Last thing I heard about was the Quad Cortex modeler but when I researched it, the general consensus seemed to be that it's quite good in some respects but not good enough to supplant the 2 kings Kemper and Fractal. It appears also that recent inflation has turned the guitar industry to ludicrous pricing. Last time I was looking at a brand new Mesa Dual Rectifier just a couple of years ago for $1899, now about $2300.

There were some exciting things I last remember like the EVH Stealth 50w, Diezel Mini, and so on but haven't been able to follow up on much. So, what has been the latest and greatest? What gear looks promising these days? What has been your latest GAS?

My G.A.S. on amps has been tanked thanks to the Quad Cortex. I am G.A.S.n for the Monomyth Skeleton Key(which I've already put a deposit down) and Im getting a KSR Ares to replace the Orthos I sold last year. Other than that I'm really content. I bought a Mayones Regius and a Gibson LP Classic which has been really satisfying my guitar lust as well. I have an Aviator custom super strat coming in about 2-3 months and thats going to do it for me until my Mayones Duvell custom is finished.

The Omega and Driftwood stuff still has my interest but I am a long way from even tempted to pull the trigger on either.

I haven't kept up with guitar gear for over a year. Every now and then I catch ear of something here and there but just haven't had the time or money to bother getting interested. Last thing I heard about was the Quad Cortex modeler but when I researched it, the general consensus seemed to be that it's quite good in some respects but not good enough to supplant the 2 kings Kemper and Fractal. It appears also that recent inflation has turned the guitar industry to ludicrous pricing. Last time I was looking at a brand new Mesa Dual Rectifier just a couple of years ago for $1899, now about $2300.

There were some exciting things I last remember like the EVH Stealth 50w, Diezel Mini, and so on but haven't been able to follow up on much. So, what has been the latest and greatest? What gear looks promising these days? What has been your latest GAS?
In case you didn't see it, Marshall came out with Studio versions of their Plexi and JCM 800. They both carry EL-34s, which I personally view as an advantage over many other lower wattage offerings (6v6s and EL84s are common - not bad, but different).

You will also find a lot of Amps starting to carry Direct Line-Out ports for mic-free stage setup. These can be super convenient, but you still need the cab for amp load.

I'm also seeing a lot of advertising for Victory Amps. They appear to be gaining respect from many.

Monomyth Amplification

Friedman came out with the Twin Sister. It's basically a 2-channel Dirty Shirley with a three-way gain structure switch, a bright switch, and a global presence and deep control. I bought one in May. While it took me awhile to warm up to it (I was coming to the TS by way of a Smallbox, very different amp), it's become my favorite amp for guitars with lower output pickups. It also takes boosts exceptionally well (even moreso than the Smallbox), so you can get a ton of different gain structures. It's a great amp for all your '60s through '80s tones or anything else where you just want a kickass rock and roll sound. I dig it.

Thanks for the update guys. Honestly though, for all the eye-popping, GAS-inducing amps introduced the past couple of years, getting a Bogner Ecstasy 3534 seems to have ruined I all for me because it really has been that good. If I had more money, perhaps I'd be after something new. The Twin Sister is a masterpiece, the Badlander sounds awesome but I thought the Rectifier Reborn was all the tweak needed. Still, the variety we have these days is a real blessing for guitarists.

I noticed that Diezel came out with a little amp, and I really hate to say this because Diezel is top 5 most definitely, but it was pretty disappointing since that little mini they had a couple of years ago was exactly what many of us wanted.

Well, I think it's going to be exciting to see what they're going to put out now that the pandemic hysteria has calmed a bit. Some amps I'd absolutely love to see them come out with (wish list) are:

Bogner 3534 Uberschall
Marshall JVM 20w
Friedman Butterslax 25w
Diezel D-Moll 25w

These would be smaller el34 amps so probably not everyone's cup of tea, but jamming on my 3534 and the PT20 man is as satisfying as a 100w amp (well, as satisfying to the point where a 100w is loud enough of course).

Andy Marshall THD built me a Deco 36. He built one more and I believe working on a third one.

2 x 12AX7
4 x EL84

Two inputs. 1M and 6.8M
Single Volume and single tone (high roll off) pots.
2 or 4 power tube switch.
High volt and low volt switch.

The 8 combinations of different input and switch combinations all have different sounds and feel.
The 1M input is similar to the Bivalve / Univalve. The 6.8M input is similar to the Flexi. The sound frequencies and feel is different.
36 watts
Lowest setting is 5 watts

This amp sounds different than the other THD amps. There is two prototypes that were built many years ago and this amp will go into production. He has parts to build a few more hand wired versions.

The amp is built on a Univalve / Bivalve cage amp chassis. The production will not be a cage amp. Likely upside down so easy to convert to a head or combo. It will have tremolo

The amp is self biasing. Class AB or Class A. Depends on the settings used. It floats between Class A and AB this gives a interesting sound.
The transformer is made for the Decco 36. Depending on settings you can get more tube overdrive or transformer saturation.

This is Andy's favorite amp built by him or anyone else. Personally I am surprised by how versatile it is for limited controls. Keeping the signal path simple allows for the unique sound and feel.

Andy I just caught on the right day and asked him if he would build me a amp. I asked him a few other times to build a Deco 36 over the last 15 years.
He might build you one if you ask.

It's a unique amp. It doesn't sound like the other EL84 amps. It has this amazing midrange. Full and fat. Not boxy. It's really a great sound.

I don't know when it will go in production. Hopefully next year.

It is becoming my favorite amp. I am often preferring it over the Fryette Deliverance 120 and smallbox JMP. Just incredible midrange and harmonics.

Back