Point me in the right direction for my new Diezel

Right I'm looking for a new amp and high on my list are all the Diezels, primarily the Herbert and the D-Moll.

I'm looking for a crushing balls to the walls metal amp so I'm thinking the Herbert is going to be my weapon of choice, with the D-Moll being something that I should check out as well - so far so good.

So I start doing some research and looking at the other amps and up pop's the VH4 and the Hagen as well. Now I had a VH4 a number of years ago and I don’t think that's what I'm looking for - it basically lost out to my Mesa Boogie Mark V and Eganter Mod50.

So, in my mind anyway (sorry Peter I'm not trying to pigeon hole them just get a handle on what I should be trying) the Diezels break down like this:

• VH4 - Rock to metal, super high fidelity sounds
    Herbert - Metal, lots of volume and bass punch
    D-Mol - baby Herbert by the sounds of it, looks very nice too
    Schmidt - Class A tone from clean to blues, up to proper rock
    Hagen - ?

So where is the Hagen aimed at, should I try and get time with one of these too? I'd appreciate some feedback from you folks out there that have lots more experience that I do with these amps.

Since I'm based in the UK I've got to travel a few hundred miles to get my paws on these to try, so it's best to know what I need to devote some time to ;-)

I feel the Hagen is like a swiss army knife and can give you alot of what you need, lots of sweet spot/settings that it becomes hard to choose.

Hagen all the way!!!
I had every single one of them A/Bing and my heart felt for the Hagen so I bought one. Dont regret it.
it s so versatile that you will not another amp in your life.

Where about in the UK are you based?
I am in London. I can arrange a demo for you if u want.
you can try VH4,Herbie, Hagen and the Dmoll.
Let me know and I will hook you up dude.

Krankenstein":2or3o59l said:
Hagen all the way!!!
I had every single one of them A/Bing and my heart felt for the Hagen so I bought one. Dont regret it.
it s so versatile that you will not another amp in your life.

Where about in the UK are you based?
I am in London. I can arrange a demo for you if u want.
you can try VH4,Herbie, Hagen and the Dmoll.
Let me know and I will hook you up dude.

Hey Dude - thanks for the offer it's very much appreciated, unfortunately I'm in Glasgow so still a bit away, were I closer I'd take you up on it in a minute.

Luckily I travel to Manchester quite a bit and Toneworld tell me that they have both a Herbert and a Hagen so I'll get in there and try them both out!!!

Honestly Diezel are all feel. Peter makes all good amps.
I have owned n played Hagen,Herbert and VH4
I have tried the Eindtein. Never tried Dmoll

So I play metal along lines of devildriver testament killswitch type of riffs.

Vh4 was nice but did not have the fuckinf brutal assault Herbert did.
Hagen is very powerful can do detuning very well but does not have depth n mostly feel of Herbert
Had Herbert for 7 yrs sold it for Hagen. Then after a year of Hagen man I was missing the Herbert.
Always tweaking n fkn w tubes in Hagen... Now I know I was just trying to dial it to feel n sound like Herbert. Just traded my Hagen w rayneman here on rigtalk for his Herbert.
God does it feel good not to be tweaking any more.

I've tried so many amps n owned so many. Went to a bunch of amp fests n always walked out w Herbert as the King. There is just something so magical about that amp. It's the tone I hear in my head. And the feel is like no other the gtr almost plays itself notes fall of fretboard.
Glad to be back w herbie !

Thanks guys for all your feedback, it is much appreciated!

Krankenstein, thanks for the offer of a guided tour of all things Diezel - if only I was closer :)

Other than that I'm going to take a guitar on my next business trip and get myself sat down at ToneWorld (Manchester, UK) with a Herbert, Hagen and D-Moll - I'll let you know how I get on...

cujo":bj1iogk0 said:
Herbert has magic feel to it ...agreed?

I agree :thumbsup: It's also the only Diezel I've had the pleasure of playing so I can't give an opinion on the others :( It does feel as awesome as it sounds though.

For the tone purist, I don't think anyone would argue that the VH4 isn't one of the top shelf amps of all time. They can pretty much do it all and are reliable and road worthy. The Herbert has more balls and probably will tip more to the metal side but is also a reliable and versatile amp. The Hagen, I didn't get on with at all. To me, it was tight as tree bark. Some will have a different opinion, but it would target the downtuned. articulating, single note crowd, although channel 2 was quite nice. I could just never find a comfortable medium with it. The D-Moll, from the clips, sounds a lot like a smaller Herbert package and very punchy. Don't know about the Einy or Schmidt. You will get a new D-Moll for the price of a used Herbert. VH4's are still coveted.

steve_k":2jaenrsx said:
The D-Moll, from the clips, sounds a lot like a smaller Herbert package and very punchy.

Waiting for a tone comparison between D-Moll and the other beauties that you own, once the new baby comes to your hands

webrthomson":120ugbfm said:
Right I'm looking for a new amp and high on my list are all the Diezels, primarily the Herbert and the D-Moll.

I'm looking for a crushing balls to the walls metal amp so I'm thinking the Herbert is going to be my weapon of choice, with the D-Moll being something that I should check out as well - so far so good.

So I start doing some research and looking at the other amps and up pop's the VH4 and the Hagen as well. Now I had a VH4 a number of years ago and I don’t think that's what I'm looking for - it basically lost out to my Mesa Boogie Mark V and Eganter Mod50.

So, in my mind anyway (sorry Peter I'm not trying to pigeon hole them just get a handle on what I should be trying) the Diezels break down like this:

• VH4 - Rock to metal, super high fidelity sounds
    Herbert - Metal, lots of volume and bass punch
    D-Mol - baby Herbert by the sounds of it, looks very nice too
    Schmidt - Class A tone from clean to blues, up to proper rock
    Hagen - ?

So where is the Hagen aimed at, should I try and get time with one of these too? I'd appreciate some feedback from you folks out there that have lots more experience that I do with these amps.

Since I'm based in the UK I've got to travel a few hundred miles to get my paws on these to try, so it's best to know what I need to devote some time to ;-)

The D-Moll is no baby Herbert!!! :gethim:
I'd say it is a more raw sounding Herbert. I can defiantly recommend it! I played all Diezel Amps side by side a few times and imo the D-moll is better then all the others combined.

I find it hard to believe that the D-Moll is "better than all the others combined" (though no doubt it's great).

-C

Sorry but I dont believe that to be honest.
I have tried every single one of them side by side.

D-moll is a brilliant amp but the other three VH4, Herbie and Hagen are proper beasts.
Let's put it this way. D moll is the best amp you can buy for that price range. No other amp comes close to it.
But the other 3 big boys are untouchable. Each one of the has its uniqueness.
If you are on a tight budget then go for the D Moll mate. No regrets. Great amp.

I haven't hear the D-moll yet, but I can certainly understand that it would sound as good (or better) than the other diezels.
Apparently the famous D-logo metal front adds to the cost.

Since Peter gets smarter with every new model (also while servicing older models), he might find new production methods which allow for easier and faster assembly, which in turn results in lower pricing.
Also, not including loops per channel (like the VH4 has), might also decrease the final price, but has no impact whatsoever on the sound.

The D-moll only has 2 eq sections, so the circuit is a bit more simple.

I never compared a D-moll to a VH4, so I'm just guessing, but I wouldn't assume it sounds worse because it's cheaper than the other ones.
Peter mentioned somewhere the D-moll is closest to the "perfect sound", so I will certainly check it out.

Video clips are nice, but nothing beats feeling the amp react to your playing, with your own guitar.

my 2 cents...

Krankenstein":8pr50txa said:
Sorry but I dont believe that to be honest.
I have tried every single one of them side by side.

D-moll is a brilliant amp but the other three VH4, Herbie and Hagen are proper beasts.
Let's put it this way. D moll is the best amp you can buy for that price range. No other amp comes close to it.
But the other 3 big boys are untouchable. Each one of the has its uniqueness.
If you are on a tight budget then go for the D Moll mate. No regrets. Great amp.

I meant to my taste its better then the others. Its just this awesome classic sounding distortion (VH4-like) combined with the direct feel of the Herbert. I also must point out that the Einstein is as brutal as his brothers!

But to get back on topic, here some thoughts on the Hagen for you, webrthomson:

I assume that if you did not like the VH4 thaaaat much, that you will prefer the Herbert or the D-Moll over the Hagen or Einstein.
To my ears the Hagen reacts less direct then the Herb and but distorts more harsh/modern, a combination that I dislike but works great for others.
I don't really know what is important to you soundwise, maybe you can tell us what you disliked on the VH4 and what you like about your other amps, we can help you more.

Back