Power Scale?

By all accounts it seems it does not need it, with it having a great master volume, why alter an already good thing. Quality of tone would likely suffer.

Only my opinion but I had a reeves 18 with power scaling and would of much prefered it without.
Thought it was gonna be the latest greatest thing and did not care for it in the slightest.

I have not played through a Dirty Shirley myself but I own Friedman amps and you just do not need it. They sound good at any volume.

I owned the DS and as said it's got a great MV and no attenuator is needed.

IMG_0681.jpg

The only thing that makes me leery at times (I'm waiting on my DS to arrive) is that with a Master Volume you get more preamp distortion than if you can crank the amp. Power amp distortion via Power Scaling or an attenuator can get you to places that are different tonally. I am looking forward to Dave's attenuator....well....if I can afford one :).

Just an update....I got my DS....Think the master is great.

I bought an Aracom Attenuator to get the aforementioned power tube gain.....

I've since sold the Aracom....this amp gets all the tones right there via the master and the guitar volume. I have not always had this experience and thought I'd see a difference with good quality attenuation, which I did not.

I had success using the Aracom with a Three Monkeys Grease Monkey (this is another rock machine), and that amp clearly benefitted from attenuation. Then of course they released the GM II with a Master Volume...after I sold my first one :(.

Back